win 7 monitor question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

on this new computer i have win 7..ugh..and a new 21" monitor. I load games for my daughter and every darn one of them tries to change the screen resolution. Even my game starcraft tried that too, but in starcraft there was a setting option in the game for 1920x1080. In her games, there is display settings, but none go that high. These are win 7 games too. I have a decent graphics card geforce 280 I believe. I tried right clicking on the games on the desktop and changing the compatability setting there, like tell the game no to alter screen settings, but it makes no difference. when any game other than the starcraft loads, it auto changes the display settings and then a little blue window shows up on screen, change display settings to 1920x1080 for optimum view. push 1 to close, 2 to ignore. you can push 1 or 2 all day long, it will close the box or ignore the box, but only for 30-60 seconds and then it comes back again and again and again and again...:curse:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I just upgraded my 2004 machine to 7 64bit and the graphics card (GeForce) started acting up. Figured it was compatability due to the old card so I upgraded to a GeForce 520 and am still having issues. The sceen will freeze on me and I get a message saying the drivers stopped responding. I just updated my drivers to the latest and greated by the maker not Nvidia and it is a little better but still happening. I have a Samsung 22" Widescreen and my resolution is 2048x1152. My only piece of advise would be if you upgrade cards stay away from NVidia/GeForce.

titan2

Make sure you have the correct/current video driver for the monitor installed......NOT the 'Plug-n-Play' or 'Generic PnP Monitor' driver.

You can check by Right Clicking on Computer --> Properties --> Device Manager --> Double Click on Monitors......

Hope this helps....

Barney

workinforwood

it says generic pnp monitor. i found drivers online it's 180 mb. I'll have to wait till 2am to download that much data..stupid satellite will cut me off otherwise. That's the driver for the video card right, or is there drivers for the actual monitors too? and if so, i need 2 drivers for 2 monitors?

Crashmph

I should be the drivers for the card which will work for the monitors. Monitor drivers should be ok as the defaults, if not they are generally very small in size. The Graphics card driver on the other hand is almost always huge due to the extra bloatware included in the download. Look for a Driver Only download for the card, and it should be much smaller.

DurocShark

Many games are hard coded for resolutions. Stupid. DOS4GW has been gone for many years...

Sometimes you're just stuck with whatever the game designers decided were the best resolutions.

titan2

OK.....it looks like a monitor issue.

Have you checked the monitor menu? There may be something there to set the resolution.....don't let it auto configure.

Also, after you start the game.......hit 'Alt-Enter' and that should take it into a "Windowed" mode with the correct resolution for that application in the window.

Hope this helps.......

Barney

workinforwood

I downloaded the driver for the card. Changed the monitors, windows updated those to what they really are, and even updated the keyboard. None of it helped anything. If I go in to the monitors setting and change it by windows or by using the menu on the actual monitor itself, the monitor gets all jacked up like a mini wave pool. The only way the monitor looks good is in auto adjust mode, and then it looks like a million bucks.

Now I switched monitors, made the 21 be the slave and the 17 is the main. Changing the monitors has not changed the resolution. Both monitors what the same 1920x1080. But by changing the smaller one to be the main monitor, now the rollercoaster tycoon and extreme trucker works perfect, but the sims 2 does not. I uninstalled the sims game. Reinstalled it and it worked perfect. Then my daughter went back into the sims game for a second time..so she played it then closed it, came back later, an error message comes up you need directx9 for this game...and directx9 compatable video. But..I do have that. I have directx11. rollercoaster tycoon runs on directx9 and works perfect. Sims 2 just keeps crashing looking for that directx that is actually there. drives me bonkers.

That first video driver I downloaded made me angry too..i wanted to punch someone! It was from something like geforce.org, not geforce.com. Dang it...it's like the first thing that pops up, so you download it and it's no the driver, it's a norton utility that looks for a driver and asks information no man could ever answer so you can't get the stupid utility to ever actually do what you want and took me an hour to figure out how to delete the damn thing because the windows uninstaller couldn't do it. I hate software that isn't what it says it is.

Top Bottom