Why I have lived in Phoenix for fifty years.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

When the temps are hovering in the 115 degree range here, people often ask why we continue to live in Phoenix. It is really pretty simple

No hurricanes
No tornados
No blizzards
No earthquakes

We get hot. We get some flash flooding, but it isn't life threatening unless you do some thing dumb like set up your camp in a dry wash, or try to cross a flooded dry wash and get washed away. The worse disaster my home has suffered in the 54 years we've lived hear was a hailstorm that damaged the roof shingles. Not enough to leak, but enough that the insurance replaced it. I lost four limbs from my 50 year old Chinese elm this year, but the tree is 40' high and 60' wide and will recover in a year or two. (anyone want some nice elm? Free for the taking!)

It actually snowed on my house once...almost 2 inches. But it was gone by 9am. They cancelled school, though, because the bus drivers didn't know how to drive in the snow!

I grew up in tornado alley...Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Wyoming. Had enough of those suckers. Also enough snow to last me a lifetime. I'll take the heat, thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Here in western NY we get snow but I'd rather have that than tornados or hurricanes. We've had snow over 2 feet but really all that does it maybe change your plans for one day. We have lived here for 24 years and I can't remember a time when the snow significantly altered anything we do.

When I worked I was a road warrior for many years. The snow rarely changed where I was going. When it did change things it was because a state of emergency was declared and roads were closed. That was pretty rare.

Woodchipper

They cancelled school, though, because the bus drivers didn't know how to drive in the snow!
Sounds like all of the South. Here they cancel school even if they predict snow. I have been told there was a lawsuit regarding the the death of a child because they didn't cancel school and the father had a wreck taking his kids to school. The father sued and won a big settlement, according to locals.
I was born and raised in Ohio- snow doesn't bother me. Keeps the pollen count to zero.
Sharon, I had a customer in Phoenix. I recall flying into Sky Harbor and seeing the pollution caught in the bowl. I was told this was typical in the early part of the year. Me? I would opt for Albuquerque, NM.

robutacion

Here in western NY we get snow but I'd rather have that than tornados or hurricanes. We've had snow over 2 feet but really all that does it maybe change your plans for one day. We have lived here for 24 years and I can't remember a time when the snow significantly altered anything we do.

When I worked I was a road warrior for many years. The snow rarely changed where I was going. When it did change things it was because a state of emergency was declared and roads were closed. That was pretty rare.

I don't blame you, I would do the same and considering what has been happening in your neck of the woods in recent times, I can say you're lucky...!

I've never been in the USA but and from what I know of that country, if I was to go to live there, I would choose Texas, I reckon it would be the best place for someone like me, (whatever that may mean...!):wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Burb

I don't blame you Sharon. After being in the military for nearly 11-years and moving/traveling, I've been fortunate to be in many parts of the US. I spent a year in Tuscan about 12-years ago, and I loved it. Thats one place I've told my wife I'd actually like to move to one day. I miss it.

dogcatcher

By the time I was 21, I had lived in 4 different foreign countries and 5 different states. I was born in Texas and after all of the moving I have always landed up back in Texas.

All of those places had their good points and their bad points. But here I am far enough from the coast the hurricanes are a news item, I have never seen a tornado, floods in Abilene last about 2 or 3 hours or however long the rain lasts. Snow and ice storms happen at least once a year. We summer in the mountains of New Mexico, there I have seen 2 foot of snow, even the flash flood caused by hurricane Dolly. So we have nice winters in Texas, and snowbird to New Mexico for the summers. We "suffer" through 70 to about 90 degrees almost year around.

Top Bottom