Why did car accidents get so complicated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

About 20 years ago I was hit at a stop light by a tractor trailer. I was able to drive my truck to the shop, they repaired it. I went through my insurance, and they got the money from the others. All Dr's bills were submitted, and paid. Picked up a rental, and returned it when my truck was repaired.

Last Friday night we were rear ended, and pushed into the car in front of us. And it is so much going on with Dr's, and rental, and everything. Why have things gotten so complicated?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

Every other commercial on TV is for some attorney promising money about car accidents. Perhaps the FCC needs to ban their ads same as cigarettes.

gtriever

Every other commercial on TV is for some attorney promising money about car accidents. Perhaps the FCC needs to ban their ads same as cigarettes.

I agree.

While we're at it, how about banning Peter Popoff and his "Miracle Spring Water" as well. How the heck does he get away with that scam??

Loucurr

A surgeon screwed up my back and the layers won't touch it but the said had I hurt my back in a car accident the could get me a lot of $$$$

Woodchipper

Many years ago, the late news commentator, Paul Harvey, had a news item about lawyers. He said that lawyers surpassed doctors in personal income and that one in five lawyers was a bona fide millionaire. The ads say, "Stickem and Grabbit got me $400,000!" But they don't say that the lawyers got 40% of that. Look up the statistics at how much money the lawyers got in the asbestos litigation. I wonder how many of them retired after that was settled?

Curly

The other part of the equation is the insurance companies want your money but don't want to pay you back so they do everything they can to make it difficult for you to collect.

Rounder

A lot of it is insurance companies. I wanted to work with an insurance company after my wife had an accident. Ended up having to get a lawyer because they were too stubborn (stupid) to work with me. We didn't want near what it will cost them after the lawyer.

Woodchipper

We had to hire a lawyer just to settle the claim of stolen guns and other items. The insurance company said that we didn't have those guns- 12 in all. The insurance company's legal team was on our side but higher up wouldn't listen. Cost them about 2-3 times what the original claim asked for. We weren't greedy- just wanted to settle in a fair manner.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a close friend that graduated from college and went to work for an insurance company doing auto wreck adjustments/settlements. It took him only a few months to figure out who made the most money in insurance settlement claims - the lawyers. After 2 years, he quit, went back to school and got a law degree! :biggrin:

One thing I admire about him is that he and his siblings were foster kids and he does lots of pro-bono work and consulting for orphans, foster kids, churches and non-profit organizations.

He is one lawyer that will make it to heaven for sure!

Last edited:

pshrynk

Used to be that medical insurance was only legal to be non-profit. After that changed, it was a major contributor to the mess we find ourselves in today. I don't know if that was true of other types of insurance, but the motive of profit above anything else is one of the things that makes these sorts of things so awful.

Top Bottom