Who's selling nonrefillable pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

At first, some years back, I sincerely wondered at hearing that statement from prospective customers. So I looked at what was there at Walmart. I will share the fruits of my research here for free. (After all, we are all brothers [and or sisters] here.) Nearly every writing instrument being offered for purchase at Walmart was either intended as a disposable (the pens were actually non-refillable) or was at a price point that it might as well be non-refillable. Also, there were very few refills being offered.
Many of us are part of the "over-the-hill-gang", and as such, we are more likely to think of pens as being refillable. Many of our customers are of younger generations, and lean toward the one-time-use way of thinking.

I took the time to write this because in sales, it is helpful to know your customer. Our customer base (with obvious exceptions, of course) really think of pens as being disposable. Knowing that, you can address the specific misconception and be more effective at selling your pens. If you just read this, and it changed your thinking a bit, you have just become a more effective sales person for those wonderful pens that you make.

PTsideshow

I think it is three things that prompt that statement.

1st is the lack of and the difficulty in finding the refill you want and need for said pen.
I have a Parker roller ball 14KGF cap/barrel pen that I found 45 years ago, I found it at work while feeding the paper trash into the boiler! Brand new in the box with ribbon on it never opened! It was a Christmas present to a teacher, they never even bothered to look at it. Was looking for ammo the kids brought to school and the teachers would just throw it in the paper trash. Didn't like it cooking off when you had the firing doors open and looking in!:mad:

Over the years as the retailers that have closed and carried refills, it has become harder to find them or even in stock. Had a young lady at a big box office store look at me like I was crazy when I asked if they would be getting them in soon. She told me I should buy a Bic throw away:eek:

2nd They don't know that you can change the refill, or even that there is such a thing. Some people have been amazed that you can take them apart and put them back together with out damaging them. I have had some interesting looks form people both younguns and older people that should know better.

I have been told that it would be messy to fool with it, etc.

3rd is a lot of people don't want to be bothered, or you hear I use a note pad on my phone that you use your finger. And since credit card/debit cards are being used more than cash or checks, they use the stylus at the check out.
I had a young lady behind me at a store say in shock you actually still carry a pen and use checks!:rolleyes: I asked how many times her cards have been compromised, She said three times.

I have made stick pens wood and hard surface material. I show the people that I give them too how to replace the ink cartridge and tip with one from a stick pen. But they probably won't.

We do live in a disposable world, after all thing of all the green weenies wouldn't have anything to protest and all the people that would be out of work in the recycle industries! Along with all the politico's that wouldn't get bribed from the local levels on up! For some of the really silly reg's they pass.

I think the biggest thing is they no longer teach critical thinking skills either in schools or at most homes!

And My last thought never buy an expensive gift for most teachers, in 35 years working in a school system. Most go to the custodial staff or out with the trash!
:clown:

SDB777

Somebody out there must be. I can't even begin to guess how many time this year I hear "and when I run out of ink, all I'll have is a beautiful, nonworking pen".

Here's one place: >>> Inkless Pen <<<

Is this what you are asking about? Seems these things are out there....writes in a gray line that doesn't smear or smudge. Weird looking things....

Scott (funny space-aged things will sell) B

Top Bottom