To whom should we donate?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Looking at the pictures of desolation in the Caribbean, and the massive earthquake in Mexico, I was just wondering how to donate effectively...

What is the best international emergency relief fund that provides help to those people in poor countries that don't have access to governmental supports such as exist elsewhere. By best, I mean the one that spends the most on actual disaster relief.

Oxfam, Red Cross, etc...is there one that has a really low percentage of their funds spent on admin, or wasted on overhead?

Thanks!
Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Red Cross would be my choice. Or you could look up Franklin Graham's (Billy's son) Samaritan's Purse organization and decide for yourself. My wife and I support SP.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My top 3 choices are Lutheran World Relief, Salvation Army & Samaritan's Purse. The latter two have already been mentioned & do really great work. SA had 11 mobile food trucks working in Houston & served over 200,000 meals. One of my cousins made a career with them & his son is following in his steps & is the head of a chapter in Virginia. I can tell you for sure that no one works for SA because of the pay they get - it is a calling to serve.

I really like LWR because they work almost exclusively in third world countries & promote the "teach a man to fish" concept. They will show up for disaster relief like many other organizations, but the stick around for several years after to help the people rebuild herds & crops, dig or drill water wells, build sanitation facilities, etc.

Red Cross is very good also. My only complaint about them is that they are so large that sometimes their bureaucratic procedures are not as effecient as some other groups. However, they are always among the first at a scene & have a very professional approach.

All 4 of those organizations have very low administrative costs & devote a high percentage to programs. While all 4 of these have fairly equal program expenditure percentages, I believe the first 3 that I mentioned are the most efficient in their actual delivery of services. (I can't cite statistics on that - it's just what I believe from personal observations)

All 4 of those organizations have a somewhat different mission & approach to service and there are several other highly rated organizations as well. I recommend looking up their web sites, read their mission statements & see which one(s) share your core beliefs & objectives.

from a google search re-Red Cross CEO salary....

Quote:
Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross... Salary for year was $651,957 plus expenses. (That's $74.42 an hour for EVERY hour of EVERY day.) Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary, plus numerous expense benefits.
Unquote

NPR has reported that the fund raising expense for the Red Cross is $0.26 per dollar donated.... then salaries come out of the other $0.74.... makes me wonder how much really goes to benefit those in need.

I would still vote for the Salvation Army or Luthern World Relief.

dogcatcher

I go with the Salvation Army. Our local group had 2 canteen trucks with crews already headed to the Texas coast before Harvey hit landfall. They have their stuff together and are also a big help with the local homeless population.

Lucky2

Red Cross, even with the executives making that kind of money. Red cross will reach more people the the other ones mentioned, and they are all known in most countries.
Len

Top Bottom