WHITE HOUSE -Heritage wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Part of weakened White House magnolia tree to be removed

If there are any members in the DC area then this may be of interest to you and other IAP members. It appears that a very "special" magnolia tree has to be removed from the White House and I do hope that someone/group will reach out and possibly see if they can get some of the timber and put this heritage tree to good use. Think of how many pen blanks, bowls and other wonderful creative creations that the magnolia can yield. Hoping that someone will intercept this tree before it's sent to be mulched.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Hey Peter, The last tree removed was featured on the back of the $10 bill. The wood was shredded and destroyed. Don't know why they did that, but none of it was available.

wood-of-1kind

Hey Peter, The last tree removed was featured on the back of the $10 bill. The wood was shredded and destroyed. Don't know why they did that, but none of it was available.

Man, I am just going to "cry" if this tree is not repurposed and given new life with some woodworking projects. We managed to save our Centennial maple tree here in Toronto but only because woodworkers rallied to the cause to save the tree. Hoping that the same will happen in DC.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I read that Malania Trump wants the wood preserved, but I don't know if there are specific plans in place for its use as yet.

JimB

There may not be as much available as expected. The tree is heavily rotted. It has been supported by an extensive cable system for many years and the cables are now breaking through the good surface wood into the rotted wood. They say it is so bad they can't even try to save it with more cables.

wood-of-1kind

There may not be as much available as expected. The tree is heavily rotted. It has been supported by an extensive cable system for many years and the cables are now breaking through the good surface wood into the rotted wood. They say it is so bad they can't even try to save it with more cables.[/QUOTE

Worthless wood casting anyone? Are you telling me that we can't get wood to make 'pens'? No way that you have this much damage that we can't salvage pieces to make 'projects'.

JimB

There may not be as much available as expected. The tree is heavily rotted. It has been supported by an extensive cable system for many years and the cables are now breaking through the good surface wood into the rotted wood. They say it is so bad they can't even try to save it with more cables.[/QUOTE

Worthless wood casting anyone? Are you telling me that we can't get wood to make 'pens'? No way that you have this much damage that we can't salvage pieces to make 'projects'.

I'm sure there will be lots of wood but just not the entire tree. From what I read the main trunks are mostly rotted.

Herb G

I've lived in the DC area all my life. I was born in DC, matter of fact.
I can tell you it literally takes an act of Congress to get anything from anywhere in the gov't.

I know a couple guys who work for the landscaping service that does Arlington National Cemetery. I asked them for some wood once & I got a nice piece of oak, but they caught a lot of flak for giving it to me.
It was from a storm damaged tree they had to remove anyway.

I wouldn't put too much hope in getting anything from the gov't.
Except a hard time & a long way to go, that is.

Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

Thanks Herb for your input. Our government, at least at the "municipal" level is actually good at getting most things done. It will be a real shame if some of this wood does not get saved.

Herb G

My wife is from Thorold, Ontario Canada, so I know what you mean by local gov't. Things are way different up there than they are here.

Here's a little example...Someone hit the guardrail at the end of our street, went thru it, and almost hit my neighbor's house. This was back in May 2017.
(They were so drunk, they opened the door & fell out of their car onto the lawn & laid there until the rescue came.)
The guardrail sat there, all twisted up, mangled, and sticking out in the road until 2 weeks before Christmas.
I called about it several times & documented every call & who I spoke to.
For 7 months. I finally called the governor's office & spoke to someone there. I forwarded them all the correspondence I had and within 10 days, the new guardrail was installed.

Now, the governor's office is investigating why the county took so long to correct the problem. I wouldn't want to be in charge of the road dept for this area, that much is certain.

:biggrin:

Top Bottom