Where to shop?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ericw95

Since BonsaiBill asked about must visit penturner spots in St. Louis, I need to ask about Los Angeles in July and Atlanta in August?

Since this type of question pops up on a fairly regular basis, should we come up with a page listing 2 or 3 major cities in an area (state, provence, country) with these places of interest? We could even list whether the area has a chain store.

For Example
Minneapolis/StPaul (R/WC/HF) Seven Corners Hardware (http://www.7corners.com/)

So (R/WC/HF) indicates that we have Rockler, Woodcraft, and Harbor Freight and 7 Corners is a worthwhile stop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Eric .... We have several IAP members in the Atlanta area and around Georgia. As far as stores ...... there's a Woodcraft and a Rockler . . . both are north of the city.

But, the woodworker's Mecca is Highland Woodworking (formerly Highland Hardware). It's almost in downtown Atlanta and very easy to locate. The store is THE place to go for woodworking of all kinds. You could easily spend a couple of hours wandering around the store while your wife and kids window shop in the nearby stores.

If I were you, my first stop would be Highland Woodworking. Then, if you want to see some beautiful and exotic wood for sale .... head to Atlanta Hardwood Corp at 5596 Riverview Road, Mableton, GA. It's just west of the airport.

Another cool place with exotic wood is Carlton's Rare Woods at 1130 Hemphill Avenue Northwest, Atlanta. It's not far from the Georgia Tech campus. It's a small place with a lot of great looking wood. Ask the new owner (dang, I can't remember his name ... Bill??) to give you a tour of the basement.

Rojo and others may want to add their suggestions.

jskeen

Geez,
LA in July and Atlanta in August, you must really like to sweat! All you need is Houston in June and you could hit the perspiration trifecta [8D]

makaiolani

It's too bad Hawaii doesn't have much here. We have a Woodcraft in Honolulu. Other than that we are most likely strictly limited to online shopping if we are looking for Fine Woodworking machinery (we've got a lot of construction tools and machinery). Any body want to open another Woodworking store down here?

I'll add to the list for Knoxville, besides the usual suspects, Woodcraft, take the Chapman highway east to Seymour and stop in to see Jefferies.. Super people and a nice selection of exotics both in plank and blank forms.

ericw95

Thanks for the Highland Woodworking info. I will see what kind of time I have or if we will have a car.

Anyone else out there have any unique stores around the word that as we travel should visit.

Besides the mentioned LA and Atlanta trips, I also have a driving trip from Minnesota to Philadelphia coming. Last time I did this trip, I was able to go to PSI and get a few things including a broken box but perfectly fine pen display case.

Fred

If you have the time go north of Atlanta on I-75 and visit Peach State Lumber. John is the warehouse manager. The lumberyard usually has some exotic woods. John will cut you whatever you need as long as he can have an 8' plank left in the end. They are about 20-30 miles out from Atlanta. Do a Google search for the directions and telephone number. Visit during the week M-F. Have a safe and enjoyable trip! [8D]

Top Bottom