Where is he...? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Question Where is he...?

I haven't seen Bob Wemm on this forum for a very long time and I wonder if anyone has heard anything from Bob...???

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 75

Nope, not me. . I have been wondering also.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

You can search for him under "members list" at the top of the page and it will show his last visit. Nov 26th 2018
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Hi Guys,
I'm still here, still breathing and still playing with wood.
I have had a lot of back and leg issues which are still plaguing me to some extent.
I've also lost the sight in my right eye, good one of course, so that has restricted me very much. The biggest problem is I cannot judge distance, so that is pretty scary using the lathe.
Also been spending a lot of time at our Men's Shed, vice chair and secretary takes up a lot of time.
Apart from all that I'm good.
Thanks for the concern.

Bob.

I've cut it 4 times and the damn thing is stlll too short.

1st Place 2016 casting 1 resin/polyclay Contest

Equal 9th place 2014 Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest.
Bob Wemm is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2019, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Bob sorry for the setbacks you have encountered but seems like you are coping the best you can so please take care and do stop by and post something now and then. Always good to see the older members here hang around and chime in. Good luck as you move forward and be safe. Thanks for checking in.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Bob I am sure the heat has not made it easier for you,please take care mate. Neat of you to check in to the forum. All the best.

Peter.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Hi Bob,

Sorry to have bothered you with my email but I could see that there were a few of us that have been wondering what you have been up to and is with most sadness that I hear you saying about your health particularly your eye site, I always wondered, after so many time getting my eyes operated on to remove stuff that got stuck in there while working, more recently as a few weeks back and when I was trying to cast 320 knife handles, something got into my left eye that regardless of what and how many drops I would put on it, whatever was stuck was very hurtful so, I saw myself working on these blanks for about 2 weeks with one eye closed, the bandsaw work was where I notice the most difficulties because and as you said, you lose the coordination of distance and alignment to the blade and that is most dangerous but I managed to come out without a scratch, apart from a scratched eye.

On another hand, your presence and work at the Men's shed can only be a good thing, new people to teach and guide through the steps of the art, sometimes is OK to stop "doing" and help others doing stuff, you are no spring chicken, I forgot how old you would be now but I would say late 70's correct...?

And about your wife and her glass work, is she still up to it...?

Anyway, did you end up doing last years show...?

Best of luck for both of you.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Warm regards, Bob - thinking about you and your fearless creativity.

It's great that you are helping others despite your own challenges.

- Bob
Bob in SF is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Hi Bob,

Sorry to have bothered you with my email but I could see that there were a few of us that have been wondering what you have been up to and is with most sadness that I hear you saying about your health particularly your eye site, I always wondered, after so many time getting my eyes operated on to remove stuff that got stuck in there while working, more recently as a few weeks back and when I was trying to cast 320 knife handles, something got into my left eye that regardless of what and how many drops I would put on it, whatever was stuck was very hurtful so, I saw myself working on these blanks for about 2 weeks with one eye closed, the bandsaw work was where I notice the most difficulties because and as you said, you lose the coordination of distance and alignment to the blade and that is most dangerous but I managed to come out without a scratch, apart from a scratched eye.

On another hand, your presence and work at the Men's shed can only be a good thing, new people to teach and guide through the steps of the art, sometimes is OK to stop "doing" and help others doing stuff, you are no spring chicken, I forgot how old you would be now but I would say late 70's correct...?

And about your wife and her glass work, is she still up to it...?

Anyway, did you end up doing last years show...?

Best of luck for both of you.

Cheers
George

Hi George,
Yes, its been a while. I'm at the mid 70's and feeling every day of it. As no doubt you are also.
The Men's Shed sure is fun and I spend way too much time there.
Betty and I are still doing glass and Yes, we did do the Club Exhibition this year. Sold a lot of stuff as well.
Sounds like you need better eye protection. I've only got One so I have to be real careful.

Cheers,
Bob.

I've cut it 4 times and the damn thing is stlll too short.

1st Place 2016 casting 1 resin/polyclay Contest

Equal 9th place 2014 Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest.
Bob Wemm is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 88

Great to hear that you are up and around, though a "Little the Worse for Wear" as we used to say.
I was sorry to hear about your Back and Leg problems, but it sounds that you are getting better with them.
The loss of your eye, and the difficulty with finding distance, is a real "Bummer".
if you were mainly turning between centers, then it isn't too dangerous by riding your tool on the bevel to find your starting position.
But unfortunately, your natural edge bowls are a different "Ball Game".
I am delighted to hear that you are enjoying your "Men's Shed" work, your experience will be invaluable to them.
Keep well my friend, and please let us know how things are going, you have a lot of friends who care.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

OZturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads