When pen turning becomes your only income...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

Just found out today that the university I teach at is having enrollment issues and there are not enough students to keep me on. Bummer. So much for those shop upgrades I was hoping for.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

So sorry to hear that Jason.
I received an unexpected Departure, after that Y2K Universal Kerfuffle.
I don't know if it was fortunate or not that I was 62, so I was getting close to the normal retirement age of 65.
Long story Short, I contacted a number of business contacts I had, including some Management Consultants, with whom I had previous professional interactions, and was quickly installed in a Part Time Job, as a Contractor in the Logistics Arena.
This gave me the time to get over the Emotional Reaction of the Retrenchment, and gave me the confidence that at 62 I was still Employable. It also gave me the time to reassess what did we need to live on, and with the aid of a Financial Adviser, how to structure our Finances, to be able to exist comfortably.

I could not consider trying to make an income out of Pen Turning, as our costs in Australia including Freight and Currency Exchange makes a kit from PSI approximately double the USA List Price, so to sell that Pen, is rather difficult starting so far behind the 8 ball, also when the total Population in Australia is around 25 Million, compared to the USA of around 225 Million.

Obviously I am not in any position to give you advice, all I can do is give some of my thoughts.
As to your ability to make a suitable income, one has to consider what differentiates your Pen to any other Pen, offered for sale in the USA, when there are so many pens made from so many makers?
Admittedly there are some very successful Pen Makers, selling at Shows, on Web Sites, Association and Commissions, the question would be "Are you prepared to become the New Guy in the Market Place"?
I would suggest that you consider what your options are, in the Educational, or Musical Arena's, and start to consider the What About's, for your Principal Income and hopefully your Pen Making can become your source of Funds for your Shop Upgrades.

I hope I have provided somethings to think about, and apart from being available as a sympathetic and empathetic ear (or in the case of emails eye) is about all I can offer.
I wish and pray that something promptly opens up for you.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Gregory Hardy

It never helps to hear it at the time but as Brian wisely points out, God closes a door and opens a window. I have seen it happen over and over again. Something good -even better - is right around the corner. Good luck!

Best of luck to you! I was also "Let Go" after 15 years of dedicated service, 3 weeks before Thanksgiving, due to cheaper labor from H1B workers.

Herb G

Don't feel bad or let it get you down.
I worked 35 years in the electrical construction trade.
One year, they fired 75 guys on Christmas Eve.

Then they had the nerve to ask them to drive their trucks back to the shop for them. Big mistake. Everyone who got fired caught a ride from someone and they all left their trucks on the various job sites.
That company almost went under from the towing bill they got for towing their 75 trucks back on Christmas Day. :tongue:

Karma is a b***h.
:biggrin:

MTViper

What did you teach? There are so many online universities these days that if you've got the credentials, a teacher can stay pretty well employed.

jalbert

I feel ya there man. I was laid off from my job a couple weeks ago due to lack of work, so I have been covering my bills and rent with my pen turning proceeds (a position I never hoped I'd be in). Hope something comes comes your way speedily.

Top Bottom