"What's that wood?" It has gashes in it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

So I got this piece of wood earlier on in my "career" and I don't recall from where. It was part of a lot.

It's pretty neat though with the gashes, anyone know what it is?

Thank you.

Attachments

• del-what wood.jpg
    del-what wood.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WIDirt

I am holding a piece of wood that looks pretty much identical to what you show. I have it marked as Jarrah Wood. I'll post a pick shortly and you all can decide.

OK, this post showed up AFTER I posted the other one after... I am so confused.....

Last edited:

WIDirt

Looks like....

I am holding a piece of wood that looks almost identical to that you show. I have it named as Jarrah Wood.

1_IMG_1562.JPG
1_IMG_1562.JPG

You guys tell me...

cdirto

Quality Pen

I have some Jarrah that looks like that. But I also have some Thuya that looks like that too!

Scott.
I just got some thuya burl from CSUSA that does not look like this particular piece, but the jarrah wood posted above definitely looks like that is it...

thanks gents :biggrin:

robutacion

I have some Jarrah that looks like that. But I also have some Thuya that looks like that too!

Scott.
I just got some thuya burl from CSUSA that does not look like this particular piece, but the jarrah wood posted above definitely looks like that is it...

thanks gents :biggrin:

Hummm...., maybe not my friend, it has too much red to be Jarrah, Jarrah is more brown...!

I may be one of my blanks, its called Colonial Red Gum burl, "colonial" signifies, wood cut when colonisation was happening in Australia, about the 1850's...!

I have had that burl wood for some years, being so old, the wood cracked more significantly, from the burl eyes, some burls are too cracked, only good to casting, even though they are still complete/full size blanks (which I do a lot), I will try to find a couple of pics put show here, otherwise have a look in my eBay store (address below) and look under "Pen blanks raw wood" its #9B Colonial Red gum burl.

As far as I know, these 2 burl species (Red Gum and Jarra) are very identical in its structure, only the colours are different...!

PS: The blanks in these pics are either waxed or CA finished...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 101_0133.jpg
    101_0133.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_2813_(1).jpg
    100_2813_(1).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom