What's on the lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

Here's an interesting X for you.
Before you think to yourself, "Just what we need another one!" look closely at it.
1 pen / opposite sides.

orangeup.jpg

yellowup.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Jim,
I'll post a set of 4 pictures in 90 degree intervals. I need to keep the 180 shot so that people can see why this X is different.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The x is different because the red is prominent on one side, the yellow on the other. IF this is a test, one way to achieve this look is to interlock the red & yellow wood before assembly (double notch in the center)[:0]

It is kinda cool! But mostly noticed by "wood guys".[:D]

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Here's an interesting X for you.
Before you think to yourself, "Just what we need another one!" look closely at it.
1 pen / opposite sides.

Thanks for the brain puzzle Ron Mc. Does the laminate thickness happen to match the kerf of your table saw blade?

btboone

It took a while, but I see how it's done. I really like the concept. Most people looking at the pen would not grasp that it's a lot different than most of the similar looking ones.

Ron Mc

timdaleiden, Yes only I used a miter saw. I don't have a table saw.

arjudy, I'm not sure that I understand your question. The strips are at a 90 degree angle. Basically it start as a + sign.

Thanks for the comments. This idea will be expanded on!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think what Alan was saying is that the cross pieces are glue-ups...yellow and orange glued side to side and then inserted. At least it sure looks like that to me.

CaliforniaRed

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Jim,
I'll post a set of 4 pictures in 90 degree intervals. I need to keep the 180 shot so that people can see why this X is different.

Where are those 4 pictures. I want to see how they look at the joint. Love the blank, very distinctive look. The X is not too large or small in my opinion.

Ron Mc

Johnny: I've been in meetings most of the day so unfortunately the final pen hasn't had a chance to manifest. Soon, very soon.

Bruce: Yep, No joints. I've worked a little this evening on a double and should have it done sometime this weekend. Very mind boggling!

CaliforniaRed: You are looking at the joints. That's the strange thing. There aren't any in this design. I'll have a chance to post 4 pics tomorrow to show you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom