whats the difference ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

diamundgem

I know the old addage, "You get what you pay for" but can anybody tell me the difference in the 3 wheel buffing system at wood turners at $89.95 and Penn state @ $49.95
They look the same and both are 8" wheels . I ordered from Penn state

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I woulda done the same.

Wheels CAN be different. Some are sewn, some loose. Some are differing types of fabric that are supposed to make a difference.

I buff a LOT of pens and have never seen an appreciable difference, but that's just me.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I know the old addage, "You get what you pay for" but can anybody tell me the difference in the 3 wheel buffing system at wood turners at between $89.95 and Penn state @ $49.95
They look the same and both are 8" wheels . I ordered from Penn state

There's an old punch line here:

$40.00

dkarcher

I have the 3-Wheeler from PSI as well. Works fine. Just hold the lathe down good at 3200rpm - not that I know anyone that did that.:beat-up:

tbroye

Well I just decided which one to get. Could have picked up the Beal System at Woodcraft and had it my hot little hands today, but to save $40 I will have to wait untill the end of next week for it to get here. That is my only problem with PSI is slow shipping from the East Coast. I wish they would use USPS Priority for the small stuff but they don't.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well I just decided which one to get. Could have picked up the Beal System at Woodcraft and had it my hot little hands today, but to save $40 I will have to wait untill the end of next week for it to get here. That is my only problem with PSI is slow shipping from the East Coast. I wish they would use USPS Priority for the small stuff but they don't.

Actually, you probably save $30.

They charge you $10 freight for the privilege of being able to wait a week!!

tbroye

ED
It would cost me at least $10 to drive out to Woodcraft and back besides fighting with the California drivers, would rather take on Kyle Bush at Bristol than drive the Freeways around here at least at Bristol you know what they are going to do.

PSI shipping leaves a lot to be desired as far as cost and speed. I could get a large power tool from Grizzly here faster that a 2lb package from PSI
oh well. A few years ago I bought a 6 1/8" Jointer from Grizzly it was shipped from Washington State. It was here in 4 days and cost $60 for shipping and it weighed over 200lbs and it was shipped by common carrier.

Last edited:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
ED
It would cost me at least $10 to drive out to Woodcraft and back besides fighting with the California drivers, would rather take on Kyle Bush at Bristol than drive the Freeways around here at least at Bristol you know what they are going to do.

PSI shipping leaves a lot to be desired as far as cost and speed. I could get a large power tool from Grizzly here faster that a 2lb package from PSI
oh well. A few years ago I bought a 6 1/8" Jointer from Grizzly it was shipped from Washington State. It was here in 4 days and cost $60 for shipping and it weighed over 200lbs and it was shipped by common carrier.

Is this where I get to mention that I live about 15 minutes from the Muncy, PA Grizzly??:biggrin:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I have the PSI buffing wheel...

It has never worked well for me...after repeated rakings, it still sheds all over the shop...

And I just realized that it doesn't run true. It's VERY out of true....but that's my own fault for leaving it in the box for half a year before trying it...and then throwing out the box...

So no, mine isn't Bealle quality, but it could be that I just got the lemon of the bunch. Regardless, I have a 50 dollar wall decoration now! I call it art! ;)

ANdrew

tbroye

I wish Grizzly was closer but being on the West Coast helps. Nothing I have ordered takes more than 3 or 4 days to get. I will probably use Woodturngz and the do have good shipping and prices. Will send Ryan a Email later today to check prices. Have to clean up now to go with LOML to a play this afternoon. I may even consider doing on my self. I have been told the last wheel with the Carnuba was is not really necessary.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have the PSI buffing wheel...

It has never worked well for me...after repeated rakings, it still sheds all over the shop...

And I just realized that it doesn't run true. It's VERY out of true....but that's my own fault for leaving it in the box for half a year before trying it...and then throwing out the box...

So no, mine isn't Bealle quality, but it could be that I just got the lemon of the bunch. Regardless, I have a 50 dollar wall decoration now! I call it art! ;)

ANdrew

Andrew,

You know that there is adjustment in the center hole of most of these buffing wheels, don't you? Take apart the metal parts in the center and reposition them to make your wheel run true. This may also stop it's "shedding" since it will be buffing with equal force, all the way around. When it runs "cattywhompus", it hits too hard, then misses completely - magnifying any other problems you may have.

Just a thought!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Oh, and Andrew, if you want $50 art, I have a few pens I could part with.

JUST FOR YOU!!!
(They're like members of the family, but........................................)

Top Bottom