What are your New Year Resolutions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

1. Turn more than pens.
2. When I turn a pen, I want it to be memorable.
3. Start using more than just my carbide cutters.
4. Do more woodworking than I did in previous years.

Jim in CA

Cmiles1985

Best wishes on your resolution Bob.

I don't remember what my '13 resolution was. I'll go with lose weight since I did; I got down from 240 to 215. After the holidays, I'm back up to 225! That's not all holidays to blame. Work settled down some, so lunch and much less climbing/walking has aided in my gaining back.

My resolution this year is to reach a six figure salary. Whether or not it's with my current company, who knows!

Be cured of lung cancer.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
I battled colon cancer two years ago and have been in remission for 18 months.
As far as resolutions,lose weight,eat less,and start pen turning. I've been debating getting into it since I was diagnosed with cancer,nows the time !

I make but one resolution and that is not to make any resolution other than to not make the resolution beyond the one resolution not to make any resolutions.:cool:

Lamplight66

I need to kick the smoking habit. I have two young boys who hound me about it and I would like to set a better example for them. Stephen did you quit cold turkey? any suggestions would be great.

I have almost 17 yrs in (cold turkey!) and my advice is to keep in mind "I WANT to quit!!" My wife still smokes and shes lost both of her parents to smoking-related diseases! I drank a lot of water and kept large supply of pink peppermints near at hand! Look at your kids and imagine where they will be without their father in their life! I want to grow old and see my kids prosper!! Good luck, you CAN do it!! Smoking is terrible for you and everyone around you!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just bumping this thread to see how folks are doing and wondering what others are promising themselves.:biggrin:

I admit that my belly is not flat yet, but I still weigh exactly 100kg.
:biggrin:

How about you?

stonepecker

Well, like others here I have had the smoking habit for a number of years.

I have quit many times. The longest for 16+ months.
In 2016, I am going to try and quit. As of tomorrow .....be kind or I might just bite you. LOL.

Even with this I also have to loose some weight......orders from the doctor.

So there are my two for the new year. We will see how long I last.
I expect by Sunday I will be a wreck waiting for the Vikings to kick some packer butt.

firewhatfire

Well I still can't make a good box. Skiprat still wows me with his creations, I now 180 lbs, down from 310+ at my largest. I ran a total of 830 miles this year which included 3 half marathons and a 27 mile ultra trail run.

Next year is continue getting healthier. Run 1200+ miles and keep working on kitless.

Phil

Learn something from skiprat after that it gets kinda sketchy. I plan to get close to you 100 kilo mark as I am that plus 10. Gonna be a beginner box maker for a while to go along with my beginner kitless pen maker status .

I don't make resolutions... I won't keep them anyway.

I am trying to drop a little weight... I'm right at 200 and would like to get back closer to about 180... I only weighed 155 when Dianne and I married 23 years ago (Mar 1992).. by the end of 1992 I weight 185 and was climbing.

bobleibo

In 2016, I am going to try and quit. As of tomorrow .....be kind or I might just bite you. LOL.

I expect by Sunday I will be a wreck waiting for the Vikings to kick some packer butt.

KEEP WAITING WAYNE!!!!! ...maybe a little side bet?

Attachments

• Vikings.jpg
    Vikings.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Packers.jpg
    Packers.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

bobleibo

Well I still can't make a good box. Skiprat still wows me with his creations, I now 180 lbs, down from 310+ at my largest. I ran a total of 830 miles this year which included 3 half marathons and a 27 mile ultra trail run.

Next year is continue getting healthier. Run 1200+ miles and keep working on kitless.

Phil

Phil
That is simply awesome! You have a lot to be proud of and bet you smile from ear to ear every day!
Congrats~

Jgrden

A larger car. A Jacuzzi. Gate across side entrance. Refinish front door. Ten good vendors selling my pens.

check with me in June and see how many of these were completed. Oh, you mean personal resolutions. Well let's see. Don't smoke, like to drink. Weigh a little too much. Balding. Oh what the heck. Not going to do it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I take inspiration from Bob Jackson and Phil (firewhatfire). You guys are the best!!!

Personal goals...: I'd like to get better at segmenting blanks; I'd like to get better at helping others...

Maybe get better with some personal exercise... :wink:

Take Care guys and gals!

tbroye

Going to my neighborhood GYM they have Workout equipment for 3 week and then a bar and grill for the next 49. My kind of place. I really don't make any. I know what I need to do and work toward that goal. Mainly stay in shape and watch the weight.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I celebrated my 78th Birthday this month are resolve to celebrate no. 79 in 2016. Held my weight (actually sitting at 159 pounds I am down a bit from the 163 a year ago. My highest weight was 270 and I started losing in 2011 when I was at 256....

I might have to stop smoking after doing it for 66 years - painful thought, I can't remember when I didn't smoke.

resaltions

Well, it's 11.20pm here in the UK. Kids have all gone to parties. Missus has gone to bed and I've got one eye on the telly and the other here blogging:biggrin:
Two years ago I made my very first New Year Resolution that I actually stuck to. I quit smoking and haven't had one since.:)

And for 2013? :confused:

Well, nothing drastic but as I work away from home and spend so much time eating in restaurants and also like a pint or two, I could lose a few kilos. I currently weigh almost exactly 100kg (220lb ) and my Middle Aged Spread is spreading!!:redface:

This time next year my stomach WILL be flat again!!!

So........what promise are you going to make for yourself? :confused:

I'll bump this thread next year and see how we are all doing.

Good luck!!:biggrin:

To not make any new resaluotions

glen r

To make it through another year and hopefully have my back surgery done. Spent most of this year fighting an infection that got into my spine and chewed away part of one disc and one vertebrae which has to be rebuilt and then fused.

stonepecker

You were saying Bob? :rolleyes::biggrin::tongue:

I celebrated my 78th Birthday this month are resolve to celebrate no. 79 in 2016. Held my weight (actually sitting at 159 pounds I am down a bit from the 163 a year ago. My highest weight was 270 and I started losing in 2011 when I was at 256....

I might have to stop smoking after doing it for 66 years - painful thought, I can't remember when I didn't smoke.

Smitty,
Congrats on reaching 78... I passed 74 in Sep of 2015... planning on staying around to 109... no reason, just seems like a good number.

I'm at my highest weight now, about 201, but trying to get back down to a more reasonable weight for my size.. maybe between 175 and 180... that up a few pounds from my weight when the wife and I married 23 1/2 years ago... I weighed 155 at 50, but all those years of having someone cook for me that was good at it has taken it's toll.

And on the smoking, just think how old you could be if you hadn't smoked all those years... :laugh::laugh:... I've never smoked myself... tried, but couldn't learn as a teen, so just forgot about it... my first wife started smoking at 35, decided that if I was going to have to kiss an ashtray, might as well learn my self.. at 37 I still couldn't learn, so gave it up completely.

Good luck on giving up the coffin nails. :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
When I smoked, my stupid argument was that if smoke could 'cure' bacon or salmon, then it couldn't do me any harm....:biggrin:

bobleibo

You were saying Bob? :rolleyes::biggrin::tongue:

I know.....my Packers have lost their touch. Rogers has spent more time on his back lately than ........never mind. Now we go into the playoffs as the #6 seed instead of #3. We need Nelson back and a offensive line that can stop the sacks. My fingers are crossed that they've been saving up their best games for the playoffs as I continue to live in the Land of Denial.
Blanks are on the way....enjoy them. Congrats on the win.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
A few goals for me this year.
#1 - to hopeful get a kidney transplant. This is my main goal for the year.
#2 - Get the new garage built.

Hawkdave

Bear with me folks because this story goes in 2 directions;:biggrin:

pt-1
In 2009 I made a choice to donate a kidney to my nephew, he was suffering from 'Good Pasture Syndrome' (Great name for an illness):eek:
The doctor suggested I lose some weight (I was 94kg) as it would be beneficial for me. I used to drink beer 4 days a week :beer:and 3 dry days I also ate biscuits and cake on a daily basis. My change was, turn my drinking to 3 days a week and 4 dry days, then completely cut out the biscuits and cake. All of this I did and within 5 weeks I lost 10kg.

pt-2
On the day of arriving at the hospital for the operation, I was put in a share room with another guy. After settling down, the other guy asked me to let the doctor know that he had gone outside for a smoke.
It was 5 minutes later when the doctor came in to talk to this guy and I told him where he was. The doctor silently sat on the bed and waited for him to come back. When the guy walked back into the room, the doctor dropped the bombshell, he told him to pack up his gear and go.:confused: When the doctor walked out he said to the guy 'Come back and see me when you have finally given up smoking'
I didn't even get to find out what the guys name was and why he was there.

I also do not make New Years resolutions anymore because, back in 2009 I made those changes to my lifestyle to help my Nephew. He gained a new lease on life and is still doing very well to this day, and I gained a new life style that I was happy with. Since then, I make changes to my lifestyle when it is required, I do not wait until the new year to make these changes as it may be too late.:cool:

I urge all of you to make any changes too your lives when they are needed, not just at the start of a new year.

Dave

Top Bottom