What are your New Year Resolutions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well, it's 11.20pm here in the UK. Kids have all gone to parties. Missus has gone to bed and I've got one eye on the telly and the other here blogging:biggrin:
Two years ago I made my very first New Year Resolution that I actually stuck to. I quit smoking and haven't had one since.:)

And for 2013? :confused:

Well, nothing drastic but as I work away from home and spend so much time eating in restaurants and also like a pint or two, I could lose a few kilos. I currently weigh almost exactly 100kg (220lb ) and my Middle Aged Spread is spreading!!:redface:

This time next year my stomach WILL be flat again!!!

So........what promise are you going to make for yourself? :confused:

I'll bump this thread next year and see how we are all doing.

Good luck!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

randyrls

Good for You Steven!!!!! Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your general health.

My resolution is to go under 200 lbs. (90 kilos)

firewhatfire

Learn something from skiprat after that it gets kinda sketchy. I plan to get close to you 100 kilo mark as I am that plus 10. Gonna be a beginner box maker for a while to go along with my beginner kitless pen maker status .

wiset1

Good for you! I lost my grandparents to lung cancer and saw first hand what an addiction it can be. As for me...move beyond the pens and try new projects in wood while expanding my knowledge on the metal lathe.

Happy New Year Steven.

keithkarl2007

In the New Year i am hoping to spend more time woodworking and woodturning. I've been unemployed since August 2011 and fell into a slump. It's now time for me to get off my ass and do something constructive.

tbroye

I kinda fell off the diet and excercise wagon a couple of months age so it is time to get back on. Last yearly check up I had managed to get down to 178lbs and all my blood work like the Dr. wanted from a 70 year old who the years before was playing with Diabetes. Will finsh the Holidays first and then get back to it. Never have made resolution to easy to break so I know what need to be done and will do it.

Have a Happy New Year one and all.

orbit308

I keep telling myself "I can do it in no time"... of course I'm in a scramble to finish the job, whatever it is. I had an order for 10 bullet pens by the 22nd...did I have them finished? Nope, I was in the shop until the last minute rushing to get them together. My resolution is to stop underestimating things..craftsmanship, labor, time..are worth more than you think and charge sometimes..
Be safe everyone
Happy New Year and Happy Turning.

Alzey

• Lose 55 pounds by next Christmas
  • Learn how to use and sharpen a Skew properly
  • Expand my knowledge of turning
  • Turn things other than pens
  • Not going insane at working trying to train 5 new people

longbeard

My resolution,
stop spending sooooo much money on this hobby. :bulgy-eyes::rolleyes::laugh::wink:
For those who can stop smoking, good for you, i been chewing for 30 years and cant stop.
HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody. See ya next year :biggrin:

jttheclockman

The smoking thing was the best thing you can possibly ever do. There is not one good thing that comes from smoking. Look at all the money you saved to buy those new tools.

Mine would be to do more different kickass designed pens this year. I got a taste of doing some segmenting on pens and I have a ton of new ideas for both pens and some new clocks I want to make. I have about 5 different blanks in different stages on the workbench as we speak and hopefully I can find some time to finish them and continue down that road.

I gave up the idea about the weight loss thing. I at least want to keep statis-quo for now.

One other thing I want to do is get 1000 work hours again this year so I qualify for another year's pension and with 1-1/2 years to go this would mean a few extra $$$. Work picture looks good this year so it will be up to me to be motivated to finish this thing out. I smell the finish line.:biggrin:

walshjp17

One pen a week for skills building.
Lose more poundage than has been mentioned here :eek:
Learn how to use a skew and a bowl gouge
Make a bunch of lidded boxes and bowls
Make quality pens that I would be happy to sell
Stop procrastinating ... well maybe that can wait:biggrin:
Improve my overall lathe turning skills

Tom T

I am looking to lose 55 pounds like the wing doc said. I have done it before.
Not sure why I eat so much I have to do it again.
I will learn how to do a post pen pictures and make those funny face guys you all are able to do. Yes and take more time to turn more pens.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

Well at 75 my resolution is to celebrate becoming 76. I also vowed to lose 3 pounds.

To those vowing to lose weight-- a tip from one who has been there and done that. 1/1/2011 I weighed 256 pounds and vowed to lose 10 pounds. 1/1/2012 I weighed 189 pounds and vowed to lose 5 pounds. Today 1/1/2013 I weighed 163 pounds. Altogether I've lost 93 pounds.

I found that setting my target at losing a reasonable amount of weight and putting no goal on how fast I lost it made it much easier to not get discouraged and give up when I hit one of the plateaus (and you will hit plateaus) or gained a pound. My goal was always within reach and when I reached it I set a new one that was also within reach. Two things - 1) weigh yourself every morning when you get up - stripped and after you pee, always using the same scale. 2) write your weight down - be religious about it. If you get discouraged - don't. Talk to God about it.

An interesting point though - in 1956 or 57 I weighed the same as I do now ... BUT ... I was 5'10" inches tall vs 5'8" now, my waistline was about 30" vs about 33" today and I was not carrying more than maybe 5 or 6 extra pounds versus maybe 15 - 18 extra now. My arms and legs were much more heavily muscled.

Last edited:

keithlong

I have promised myself that I will make no new resolutions, but will try to do better with my wood turning and get more into bowl turning, and want to try to make a few bandsaw boxes.

UKpenmaker

Well my resolution is to ensure that by the end of the year we have a house to live in and especially a shop to work in. 5 years without either is far to long.
And like most need to shed a few pounds, so must get back into my running routine.

I don't make resolutions, but would like to drop a few pounds myself... at age 50 (1991) when I met my wife, I weighed 155 lbs... got married in March and by end of year weighed over 180 lbs... this morning I stepped on scale and it read 202.5.... need to cut back on those big breakfasts and big dinners...

Congrats on the quitting smoking Skip... never smoked myself but did try to start a few years back when the first wife decided to take it up... kept forgetting I had one lit, so just gave it up.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well my resolution is to ensure that by the end of the year we have a house to live in and especially a shop to work in. 5 years without either is far to long.
And like most need to shed a few pounds, so must get back into my running routine.

Wow Andy!!! I would have thought that your house was finished by now. You have far more perseverance than me, that's for sure.

But....I don't think you need to lose any weight at all!!! We've met a few times and I reckon you have to jump around in a shower to get wet!!

In fact the only other member that I can think of that needs to lose a few, besides me, is our good buddy Markus MacHaggis:biggrin:

Don't give up guys!!! It's easy......Just eat less and move more!!:wink::smile-big:

I need to kick the smoking habit. I have two young boys who hound me about it and I would like to set a better example for them. Stephen did you quit cold turkey? any suggestions would be great.

Rob73

I quit smoking. It can be quite difficult for people. It took me about 4 times quitting before I stopped relapsing. It's worth it but people are not going to like you for awhile HaH. Be prepared for some weight gain as well. Since I've done with smoking this year will be to get back in some shape. Middle age + sitting on your rear doing nothing but computer work is not flattering to the waist line.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Doug, two years ago on Boxing day, my daughter said something like;
'Thanks for the gifts Dad, but one day when I get married, I'd like it if you were still around to give me away. That would be the best'
I didn't smoke once from that day, but I did buy the nicotine dummys. I bought two boxes but only used them for about a week.
I smoked at least 20 a day for over 30 years. Maybe the damage is already done?
I don't notice any extra money really, but I haven't burnt it either.
I can't say my food tasting has changed either.
I still get a craving now and then.

But, I don't stink anymore :biggrin: and I'm pretty confident that I'll not only be around to give my daughter away, but I reckon I might even see grandkids from all my children:biggrin:

Go for it.:wink:

Rob73

But, I don't stink anymore :biggrin: and I'm pretty confident that I'll not only be around to give my daughter away, but I reckon I might even see grandkids from all my children:biggrin:

It took me about a year to two after quitting to really pickup on the smell of a smoker. I was quite surprised a potent smell it gives off. Not only on your person but everything in your house as well.

I received a grandfather clock when my grandmother passed and that was a smokers house. I could smell smoke off that thing the second I brought it into the house. It took me over a month to get the strong smell out. To this day I can still smell it when I open the clock to wind it up.

monark88

I used to smoke 5 full packs a day. My wife smoked only 1 pack. We decided we had had enough of being controlled by the smoking habit.

We each bought a carton of cigs. We opened the cartons, took out a pack and opened is. We took out a cig each and threw it in the garbage can, followed by the opened pack and the rest of each carton. That was in 1984, May 8. A hard 3 days, then became easier.

I agree, probably a dumb exercise, but it worked for us. It is a active ceremony, as opposed to just saying, "I want to try to quit smoking". Getting rid of a bad habit has to have an active participation by the person, just like beginning a "good" habit has to have your active participation.

Just my opinion, of course. You have to make your own choice to begin.

I need to kick the smoking habit. I have two young boys who hound me about it and I would like to set a better example for them. Stephen did you quit cold turkey? any suggestions would be great.

It took me about a year to two after quitting to really pickup on the smell of a smoker. I was quite surprised a potent smell it gives off. Not only on your person but everything in your house as well.

I received a grandfather clock when my grandmother passed and that was a smokers house. I could smell smoke off that thing the second I brought it into the house. It took me over a month to get the strong smell out. To this day I can still smell it when I open the clock to wind it up.

My step son is a smoker and truck driver... can't stand to get up into his truck cab.:eek:.. maybe he prefers it that way.. :biggrin:
Because he's on the road for such long periods, for entertainment he will buy movies to watch on his lap top or a portable DVD player... when he comes home, he'll bring in all the new movies he's bought and the old ones he's taken out of the "Library" to re-watch on the road.... all of his movies get left on the screened back porch for a minimum of 3 days spread out on the patio table until I can stand to have them in my study... and even then when you open the cases, you'll sometimes smell the smoke.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
My resolutions are a little off the beaten path

#1 - Shave atleast 5 days a week.
#2 - Stay out of the hospital (Except for my weekly blood work)
#3 - Enjoy alot more music
#4 - Make time for me

Trying to enjoy life alot more than I ever have!!

Lenny

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 163

Triple Crown

Hi all! Great resolutions! Here's mine.

New Year's Resolutions
1. Drop 25 Pounds – Limit Portion Sizes and EXERCISE
2. Organize – Time Management
3. Organize – Get Rid of Unneeded Papers
4. Organize – Make Financial Plans for Kids to go to College and for Summer Vacations
5. Organize – A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place
6. Organize – Clean Out the Junk - Storage Room, the Shop, the Shed, the Attic …
5. Arrive to things ON TIME (and find proactive ways to motivate everyone going too)
6. Live by the Scout Law (Trustworthy Loyal Helpful Friendly Courteous Kind Obedient Cheerful Thrifty Brave Clean Reverent). Do a good turn daily. Be prepared. Do my best…
7. Volunteer
8. Participate on IAP Forum – I really like the helpfulness and encouragement I read, not only about penturning, but about coping with the multi-challenges of life. I want to be more participatory in this great group!
9. Make 5 new styles of pens.
10. Try not to get discouraged. Make incremental goals of the above. Celebrate successes and forgive setbacks.

Maybe by sharing my goals with you all, it will help me to be more vigilant on keeping strong to my commitment to improve myself. Thanks!

Greg

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
2013 Bump

Ok, it's a year later and I wonder how everone got on with their 2013 resolutions?

My middle age spread is 'slightly' :rolleyes: flatter but I still weigh exactly 100kg.

How about you guys?

Be honest.....!!!!:biggrin:

firewhatfire

almost done with it. just live to 2014 without being killed in my sleep by my wife. I may need to stay up all night to finish out.

I think next years will be the same.

Well I went back and looked to see what I lied about, I gained all the weight you fellers lost. sitting at a firm 258 lbs. I did manage the kitless thing. Boxes not so much.

Carpe 2014

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am going to realize that at my age ... who the h*** needs them ... it will be enough to get through another year without assuming the permanent horizontal.

lyonsacc

1) Lose some weight (get back under 200lbs for the first time in about 5 years).
2) Exercise more
3) Spend more time with the kids & wife
4) Make and sell some pens (Just got the website going a month or so ago and have my first show in March)
5) Pray more

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I lost about 70 lbs...I'm now 170lbs, so I'm quite happy...
I did my big weight loss project in 2011 and 2012...On Jan 1 2014 I will probably be within 1 pound (less) of my weight on Jan 1 2013 and have remained plus or minus 3 pounds of the 163 lbs I weighed then all year. That was not easy except for 1 three week period I was able to do it. I did get to 168 and it took three weeks to get back once.

Top Bottom