What is your favorite Acrylic Blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

So I was just wondering which acrylic blank is peoples favorite. I don't mean someone's poured, just the plain old acrylic blank. The ones that are mass produced. I would have to say mine is Lava. It goes by several names, however at Woodcraft it has the name of Lava. Please share with us your favorite, might find one I want to check out.

Attachments

• lava.jpg
    lava.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

My favorite when I see it on pens tends to be the Rhino Earth's Core. The best image of which I found on Bear Tooth Woods website
Rhino_EarthsCore.jpg

The favorite among those who see it on my pens or among my blanks is the IA Bronze & Violet from Woodturningz
PBIA02.jpg

jcm71

I like the Ice Princess/Arctic Shimmer blanks sold by Exotics and BTW. You can achieve some striking results by back painting with different colors.

gtriever

My personal favorite is the Lava Lamp #28, sold under several names including 'Molten Metal'. One of my best sellers, though, is the Opal Swirl Color Swirl from Bear Tooth Woods.

greenacres2

Looks like a Majestic.
Mike

I'd agree on the Majestic. I want to know the back-paint color on that--the cap barrel is pretty thin.

Favorite production resin--almost any DiamondCast, really liking Shamrock lately, and have a steady account for Andromeda (Thank You pen for their employee of the month). Beyond, Lava Explosion "Full Spectrum" from Exotic.

earl

magpens

My current favorite "acrylic" pen blank is the Rhino Plastics "Orion Nebula" from Beartoothwoods or Exotic Blanks.

orion-nebula-lg.jpg

elyk864

Looks like a Majestic.
Mike

I'd agree on the Majestic. I want to know the back-paint color on that--the cap barrel is pretty thin.

Favorite production resin--almost any DiamondCast, really liking Shamrock lately, and have a steady account for Andromeda (Thank You pen for their employee of the month). Beyond, Lava Explosion "Full Spectrum" from Exotic.

earl

I usually just back paint with a sharpie actually. I just color the tube black let it dry for a couple minutes. Then good to go.

jttheclockman

Mine is called truestone but actually is an acrylic

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

The top pic is that where one was backpainted orange and one black?

Ed

This was my 2019 Pretty Acrylic pen Bash contest entry that was disqualified but I did show it off in this thread.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/my-2019-pretty-resin-entry-158812/

There is an explanation of my experimenting with back painting of the blank in there. Those are examples of what back painting can do to a translucent acrylic blank. :):)

greenacres2

Looks like a Majestic.
Mike

earl

I usually just back paint with a sharpie actually. I just color the tube black let it dry for a couple minutes. Then good to go.

I've considered trying that since it would add no thickness. There's a reasonable number of colors. Will give it a go and also check to see if CA bleeds Sharpie off like it melts most paints. Thanks!!
earl

jttheclockman

Looks like a Majestic.
Mike

earl

I've considered trying that since it would add no thickness. There's a reasonable number of colors. Will give it a go and also check to see if CA bleeds Sharpie off like it melts most paints. Thanks!!
earl

A couple things here. No the cap is not thin at all and in fact it is one of the thickest when it comes to meat left after turned.

Second yes CA will bleed sharpie markers on the tube.

Third if gluing tubes in with CA do not use acrylic paint. Use enamel. :):)

Top Bottom