What is your cut off for not contacting a vender?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

Seems there is a lot of talk about calling venders / PSI / ect with issues. My question is what is your cut off?

I mean do you contact them if the tube of ink for a fountain pen is empty? Do you contact them if it has been six months since you placed an order and it hasn't come in yet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

If you are waiting more than 6 months for an order you must be ordering a custom built bass or guitar. If something in my order is missing or damaged I call as soon as I notice it. 99% of the time the vendor will correct the concern. If they request a photo of the damaged part that is easily done. Allow some time for the new part to arrive and if not contact them again. Take notes and name of who you spoke to.

tbroye

For shipping a week to 10 days, if shipped and not received 7 business days except for PSI they use real snails. If missing or broken I will contact them first by Email if they don't answer with a 3 days will call. Luckily I have always been successful by Email. Found out my Local Woodcraft carries the PSI Bolt Action Kit, so I just go there save the frustration.

Drewboy22

I am a very "chill" person. By this I mean that I would not call if the ink was empty or the cross refill didn't write (Unless it was a consistent issue). If it was a broke part or missing part that kept me from completing my project, then I would call or email. As for shipping; if has been 3 or 4 days and I still have not received an "Order Shipped" email or "Back ordered" email then I would send an email requesting a status update.

As for the barrage of threads yesterday about cheers and jeers. I really think some people these days get butt hurt way to quick. Personally I think that if we as a society could relax and take a breath, life would be more pleasant. But that's just my .02

Drew

edicehouse

If I order 10 fountain pens, I usually plan on a few having ink missing. On my dresser I usually try to keep a pack of fountain pen refills, Parker, and Cross refills.

Skie_M

Now, I get it that he was upset over how he was treated by PSI, but dragging out threads that were made in 2012 and 2013 to continue with the bashing was more than a little too much.

Would you believe that it's cheaper to head down to Office Depot to get refills for your fountain pen cartridges? I kid you not, I saw packs of a dozen for only 3 dollars. We should all keep in mind that the "cross style" and "parker style" refills we get with the kits are generally low quality substitutes. We can buy these refills separately through PSI and other vendors for as little as a dollar or less. Do yourselves a favor and head down to your local Office Depot or Staples and pick up the REAL refills ... just one pack. Take the refill and put it in your carry pen, and see how different it feels to write with. Also keep in mind that you spent 3 to 6 dollars for that one refill.

Short answer is ... you get what you pay for.

I check the tracking number every single day on my purchases. This way, I never wonder why a package is overdue. If you place an order with a vendor, like PSI, they send you the tracking number via email. I also recall getting a similar email from Exotic Blanks, when I ordered my Jr Gent kit and bushings, with some lovely acrylic blanks.

Oh ... that reminds me, I need to post a pic of that pen, now that it's done!

Only one time has PSI sent me a messed up part ... the tube for my SteamPunk pen was short by 3/16ths inches, but thankfully I was using a pre-tubed circuit board blank anyway. The only other error I have had with them was that they mistakenly sent me two gunmetal finial caps for a Slimline pen in my 7mm Starter Kit. You have to keep in mind ... they're people on the other end, they can and do make mistakes, but they also try their best to fix them. More orders = more mistakes, but probably not a larger percentage than any other company out there, including our great vendors right here at the IAP.

Short answer again ... we're all only human. Contact your vendor and see if you can work the problem out. If they ask for something from you, it's only fair to help as much as YOU can, so that they can keep helping everybody as much as THEY can.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Now, I get it that he was upset over how he was treated by PSI, but dragging out threads that were made in 2012 and 2013 to continue with the bashing was more than a little too much.

Would you believe that it's cheaper to head down to Office Depot to get refills for your fountain pen cartridges? I kid you not, I saw packs of a dozen for only 3 dollars. We should all keep in mind that the "cross style" and "parker style" refills we get with the kits are generally low quality substitutes. We can buy these refills separately through PSI and other vendors for as little as a dollar or less. Do yourselves a favor and head down to your local Office Depot or Staples and pick up the REAL refills ... just one pack. Take the refill and put it in your carry pen, and see how different it feels to write with. Also keep in mind that you spent 3 to 6 dollars for that one refill.

Short answer is ... you get what you pay for.

I check the tracking number every single day on my purchases. This way, I never wonder why a package is overdue. If you place an order with a vendor, like PSI, they send you the tracking number via email. I also recall getting a similar email from Exotic Blanks, when I ordered my Jr Gent kit and bushings, with some lovely acrylic blanks.

Oh ... that reminds me, I need to post a pic of that pen, now that it's done!

Only one time has PSI sent me a messed up part ... the tube for my SteamPunk pen was short by 3/16ths inches, but thankfully I was using a pre-tubed circuit board blank anyway. The only other error I have had with them was that they mistakenly sent me two gunmetal finial caps for a Slimline pen in my 7mm Starter Kit. You have to keep in mind ... they're people on the other end, they can and do make mistakes, but they also try their best to fix them. More orders = more mistakes, but probably not a larger percentage than any other company out there, including our great vendors right here at the IAP.

Short answer again ... we're all only human. Contact your vendor and see if you can work the problem out. If they ask for something from you, it's only fair to help as much as YOU can, so that they can keep helping everybody as much as THEY can.
Packs of 12 FP cartridges are not much over $3.00 here and you probably will find a much wider selection of in colors. Careful on the statement that the parker style refills provided with kits are 'cheap'. Several people here provide their kits with Schmidt refills, which are not cheap.

Skie_M

Yes, that's why I said "generallly". They're talking about PSI ... so was I, for the most part. :)

I'll have to stop by your site sometime, Smitty, and see what colors I can pick up from ya ... the Office Depot here only stocks black FP ink.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yes, that's why I said "generallly". They're talking about PSI ... so was I, for the most part. :)

I'll have to stop by your site sometime, Smitty, and see what colors I can pick up from ya ... the Office Depot here only stocks black FP ink.
You're always welcome at the store but I don't sell FP ink in my store. Some other vendors here carry many colors. Also, I carry only a couple of Parker refills as a convenience for my customers again there are other vendors who carry a lot more choices. But, Dayacom stock refills (I don't know about 7mm) in their Parker style kits use their own house brand made for them by Schmidt.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Awesome. :)

I've been thinking about doing like how a lot of other sellers are doing and simply buying a bunch of the Schmidt refills to provide for my customers rather than letting them know that the initial refill provided by the kit manufacturer may be a little below standard.

I just don't have a lot of money to spare, between this hobby of mine and a bunch of other projects round the house.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I've been thinking about doing like how a lot of other sellers are doing and simply buying a bunch of the Schmidt refills to provide for my customers rather than letting them know that the initial refill provided by the kit manufacturer may be a little below standard.

I just don't have a lot of money to spare, between this hobby of mine and a bunch of other projects round the house.
Smart choice - keep a pen handy with a stock refill and let them try writing with that an then try with a Schmidt....Schmidt refills will sell pens for you.

Jack Parker

Smart choice - keep a pen handy with a stock refill and let them try writing with that an then try with a Schmidt....Schmidt refills will sell pens for you.

+1
Had it happen three times last weekend. We had some pads of high quality paper for them to "test drive" the pens on, when we would change the refills to Schmidt refills, it was like night and day.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Getting back

Getting back to the original OP I have been contacted with problems found in kits as long as 3 years after they were sold. With problems in kits that were bought by someone else and given as a gift or sold on the secondary market to people who never bought a thing from me. I think the "cut off" for contacting the seller is whatever the market will bear. If the vendor has a reputation for settling quickly and in favor of the consumer there is probably no limit.

Top Bottom