What Would You Do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

I thought about gathering every give-away pen I could get may hands on, and mail this guy 1 pen a day for awhile. After I had received some of the USS North Carolina wood from Yorkie, I made 2 Tritons and made 2 display stands from one of the bolt hole pieces. I was able to find 2 WWII crew member here in Mo. I sent each one of the sets. I have since talked to one of the gentlemen, and some of his family, several times since. After almost 5 months, I got the pen, no display stand, and this note. After about a dozen rewrites, I sent a letter back, explaining why I sent the set to him. I also sent a $20 money order and a request to also return the stand. I may not be in the right, but I didn't drive up there last night.

Attachments

• pen return001.jpg
    pen return001.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

shake head sadly, laugh, smile, move on.

Got to be careful doing nice stuff, people do get upset. Bet there's another vet who would be honored to have a piece of history...

MarkD

Kudos to you for being a very thoughtful and generous person.
I guess it goes to show that "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

OKLAHOMAN

Jon's right let it go and remember he's in his late 80's to late 90's, most likley very set in his ways and might not even remember getting the stand and thinks your trying to get him to endorse the pens.

renowb

Sad when people think you are taking advantage of them. Oh well, their loss!

RogerH

I had an uncle who was a WWII vet, and died last year at 94. I admired him enormously, he had character that most of us only dream about. Nonetheless, he managed to push away probably 3/4 of his family, because as he got older he was beyond grumpy. Seems to happen to a significant per centage of seniors. I guess we can only hope that we won't be one of those when our time comes.

Let me join with the other members in encouraging you not to take his behavior personally. You did a wonderful thing, whether or not this grouchy old vet appreciates it or not. Better to say a prayer for him, have a chuckle, and remember that God sees and values our acts of kindness and respect, whether humans do or not. Keep your chin up.

warthog

All of you have to remember what these guys and gals went through. It has been said that, that generation of Americans are the greatest generations of people that this country has ever produced. Being a Viet Nam veteran...I can appreciate what these guys and gals went through. My favorite uncle was at Pearl Harbor when the Japs hit. I can only begin to imagine what horrors that awaited him. In 2003...my uncle took his own life. He was 84 years old. My mother...his sister...still wonders why. I know why...but I will never tell her. So for whatever reason you may have for wondering why these old WW11 vets start acting or sounding out of tune with the current world we live in now...give em break...they all love ya...or they would not have done what they did.

edicehouse

He did thank you for the piece of NC deck, it seemed it to me. So I don't think he was being a jerk, just and old guy that did not see the sentiment you were showing by sending him the pen. That's all.

Rick P

My comment is in the same vein as Warthogs. My father saw action, he NEVER specks of it, NEVER! He politely accepts "thanks for your service" but points out that he was one of many. As a RN I have worked with many vets who dont want to remember combat, find no honor in killing and just want to move on with there lives. They did what they HAD to do and many have no desire to be reminded of it.

sbwertz

My Dad is 91 and a WWII vet (Army Air Corps). I thank God every day that he is still mentally sharp and physically active. (But he IS set in his ways LOL)

t001xa22

My dad was a Marine jarhead in the Pacific during WWII. As I grew up, I tried to get him to talk about his experiences, especially since I was studying it through school. His response was about totally nil. What he did bring back was the start of a lifelong drinking issue and terrible nightmares. I made the mistake of playing some TimeLife videos of WWII film clips. Very bad idea. He's been gone for several years, but as I get older, I better understand his feelings. It is like Warthog says, appreciate their service, thank them when you can, and let them live on because the burdens they bear are tremendous. Just my couple of pennies worth.

shadetree_1

Nam Vet here also, 1965-66-67, I am sure he did appreciate the thought but after some of the stuff they have gone through, some, myself included sometimes just have a hard time or can't find the right way to express a thank you, I'm sorry I'm not putting this in the right words or the right way, maybe you just had to be there to understand. I know in my heart he appreciated it, but just could not accept and say it.

But my friend, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING !!!!

Joe

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Keep in mind...

I thought about gathering every give-away pen I could get may hands on, and mail this guy 1 pen a day for awhile. After I had received some of the USS North Carolina wood from Yorkie, I made 2 Tritons and made 2 display stands from one of the bolt hole pieces. I was able to find 2 WWII crew member here in Mo. I sent each one of the sets. I have since talked to one of the gentlemen, and some of his family, several times since. After almost 5 months, I got the pen, no display stand, and this note. After about a dozen rewrites, I sent a letter back, explaining why I sent the set to him. I also sent a $20 money order and a request to also return the stand. I may not be in the right, but I didn't drive up there last night.

About the youngest a WW II Navy Vet can be is 83 (The war actually ended in September 1945 - 66 years ago). He might well have not completely understood that it was a gift without strings attached. Even Korean Vets have to be at least 74 (unless they lied about their age) to have served even 1 day in Korea before they "officially" ended Korean recognition - the war never did end it is still just a "cease fire".

Last edited:

Hubert H

The replies to Randy's post show why and how this is such a great site. First the kindness expressed by Randy and than the understanding so many have shown. GREAT! HWH

hewunch

Randy, I am sorry that happened. I would be crushed.

I guess it is the same kind of sentiment I get at shows sometimes, "I could buy a whole box of bics for $2". I am sure your pen is a work of art. And unfortunately, not everyone knows art.

You tried. Nothing more you can do.

He did thank you for the piece of NC deck, it seemed it to me. So I don't think he was being a jerk, just and old guy that did not see the sentiment you were showing by sending him the pen. That's all.

I think this is on point. Also, you didn't mention if you included a letter with the pens, explaining why you were sending them. His letter kinda reads as a product evaluation. He was sent a product sample that he didn't like, so he kindly returned it. He really liked the stand, so he kept that, but was sure to return the pen to make sure his name couldn't be used in the seller's advertising. Seems like a misunderstanding.

Texatdurango

To you it was a big deal and a great jesture, to him it was just an ink pen he got in the mail.

I'd just forget about it and leave him alone, he's an old man trying to enjoy what time he has left.

Top Bottom