What is the PITH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

Ok I may be showing my ignorance here, but think I know PITH stands for (Pen in the Hand). An I have seen it mentioned here in several times in postings.

So if I may ask, How does it apply here on the IAP forum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It actually stands for Pen in the Hat

If we got a group of pen turners together in person, we would all put a pen in the hat & each would draw one out at random for a blind exchange.

Since that's not practical in an on-line forum, IAP uses the PITH activity & random number generators to match up partners to exchange pens. Usually it's a direct 1 to 1 exchange, but sometimes the matchups are assigned so you send a pen to a different person than the one who sends it to you.

Edgar

D.Oliver

I encourage you guys to sign up. They are a ball. I didn't join the first one they had after I joined because I didn't think my pens were good enough. That was a mistake on my part. That's not what the PITH is about. Join up, make a pen to the best you can, make some new friends, and have some fun. Joe will be along shortly to provide a link!

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Okay I gave him a few minutes and he didn't show. Good help is hard to find these days.:tongue: Here's the link.

BJohn

Ok I stand corrected Pen in the Hat.

Unfortunately I will not have the time to participate in this go around, but I will be watching for the next one.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
+1 on what Derek said - the PITH activities are open to all members, regardless of your skill level or how long you've been making pens.

I'm a long-time woodworker but only started making pens a little over a year ago. I sat out the first couple of PITHs after I joined IAP because I didn't feel my pens were worthy, but finally got up the courage to join one and had a blast & haven't missed one since. My pens are rarely equal to the quality of the ones I get in return, but as Derek pointed out, that's not the point of the PITH. The objective is to have fun, make some new friends and perhaps challenge yourself a bit and learn something new.

I like to engage in some dialog with my partner & look at some of their postings to get an idea of what they might like before I select a blank and kit. If I can, I like to use a rare or unusual blank or one with a story - anything I can think of to make the pen a little special.

It looks like we'll have over 50 participants in the September PITH and there seems to be a good mix of long time & new members, so it should really be fun.

If anyone is still waffling, jump on in! The water's fine!
Edgar

BJohn

I would love to join in for the September issue, but with my youngest daughter getting married in October. So I will have to catch the next one. But it does really sound like fun.

Top Bottom