What lathe do you turn pens on?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Just for fun - I'm curious what lathes folks here are using for pen turning. (Brand / model or a photo :)

Currently my only lathe is an old (1950s) delta Rockwell 11" with the original cast iron legs.

What about you?

teamtexas

Grizzly of course!

Here is a pic of my lathe from Grizzly. It's a G9729.
g9729.jpg

Top end speed is a little slow for pens, but it also cuts metal :biggrin:

Dan

PenMan1

3 different ones, actually. " Delta Dawn", the Delta 46-460 does most of the turning work, as the belt speed change slot is in the front and makes changing speeds effortless. Additionally, it has reverse and simplifies sanding wood pens on the rare occasion that I make a wood pen. Also, it "mics" out as the truest lathe in the shop when the Beall collet chuck is attached.

"Bennie the Jet " 1014 VSI is used almost exclusively as a dedicated drilling station these days, as it has made over 10,000 pens and has proven itself worthy of semi-retirement". Additionally, Bennie's belt pulley change access is the back. Since I never come off the slow speed pulleys, he is perfect as a drilling station.

Third is Rudy Ricon. Rudy never could really eliminate the " shakes", and is a PITA to change belt speeds, he is a dedicated buffing station. His "wobble" is a plus at the buffing table, and I bought him for $199 on a Woodcraft sale that threw in free shipping.

There's also a Microlux Metal lathe in a cabinet, SOMEWHERE that comes out on rare occasions when "Delta Dawn" can't perform on a custom build.

There's also a Beall Pen Wizard that has never been out of the box ...... SOMEDAY:)

Without being a smartass, it's not the lathe that matters, but instead, the"interlink that attaches the cutting tool to the tool rest".

In a cut to the chase, the best lathe is the one you can use best to do what is is that you want to do.

Respectfully submitted.

As for me, I have the Excelsior. Also known as that lathe from Rockler or a Harbor Freight clone. I don't know if it is a good or bad lathe because it's the only one I have ever used. I watch craig's list but good cheap lathes don't come up that often and when they do they pretty much sell within the hour. I've been thinking of getting a metal lathe when budget permits.

Acelectric

I am using the HF #95607. It seems to be a pretty good lathe for under a hundred bucks. The headstock runs true but there is some play in the tailstock. I love the VS feature, much better than changing belts.

I started out on a Shop Smith Mark 5 then last November or so purchased the Nova Comet 2 I sold the Mark 5 and just love turning on the Comet.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Excelsior from Rockler. It serves my needs quite well for now. I do get better concentricity since I've started using a mandrel saver.

duke851

Prazi SD300 lathe (no longer in production) with A2Z quick change tool post for all the machining operations and a Jet 1014 for finishing.

I love it but I have a yearning for a South Bend 10K

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 868

flyitfast

Started out on a ShopSmith (hurt my back bending over the low machine), moved to a Jet 12-20, and then upgraded to a Robust Sweet 16 to turn other things. Shopsmith still a table saw and good drill press. Jet is now for drilling and buffing. Sweet 16 is just that - SWEET!
All of them good in their time.
gordon

Ross

I use an Oliver which was manufactured in 1932. It has grease zerts on the head stock and oil wells on the tail stock. It runs smooth and quiet. I previously used a Jet 1220 which I still own and use as a backup.

dogcatcher

I have a collection of lathes that use, the oldest are 2 Goodell Pratts from the 1930's, next is an unknown also from around the late 30's. Then a Delta 46-111 that I am in the process of adding variable speed with reverse. Then the modern day Delta, Jet and Rikon. All get some use at different times depending on what project I am tackling.

Alzey

Delta 46-460 with bed extension. Shown from back side on its new stand.

Attachments

• image-1644708730.jpg
    image-1644708730.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 245

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
attachment.php
attachment.php

ONEWAY 1224 (All Canadian Made) for pen turning! A General International Maxi as a dedicated buffer.

I waiting on delivery of a used Delta Midi (non VS).

Attachments

• Wood Lathe Oneway 12-24 Lathe (Small).jpg
    Wood Lathe Oneway 12-24 Lathe (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 731
  • Wood Lathe 25-100M1 (Small).jpg
    Wood Lathe 25-100M1 (Small).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,015
Last edited:
Top Bottom