What kind of wood is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

tn_CA3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

Thanks for the help. I am not sure if anyone has the correct wood. It was not in any way aromatic and it was just a little darker when I started. It came in a grab bag of block with the starter kit when I bought my lathe. Thanks for the help though. I will take your suggestions and do some more research. Thanks again.

Paul Downes

I believe it is sapele. Sapele is another name for mahogany. I think of the African persuasion. Some of the grain paterns near the clip looks very much like sapele.

nightowl

Red Palm seems extravagant to me with it being in a grab bag of blocks. I saw an example of Sycamore online and the grain favored that a little. Next time I go to Wood Craft I will ask them. Seeing it up close and personal does make a differenc. Thanks again for all your help.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I've purchased an occasional grab bag of wood from Wood Craft that had one or two more exotic pieces of wood. So Red Palm isn't out of the question on that count. But I haven't seen red palm at my Wood Craft store. It has the right color/grain for Spanish Cedar which is not as fragrantly noticeable as Eastern Redcedar, also called "aromatic cedar."

Looks alot like Sapele although I think your lighting has altered the color a bit. It may be mesquite if the lighting was different.

How did it "work?" Soft, splintery and/or thready?

I'm going to second the "Guesswood" choice.

Yeah, that narrows it down a lot, huh?

Top Bottom