What does “Exhibition Quality” mean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

It is hard to sort out what terms used to promote blanks mean. Over the last few weeks I have ordered "exhibition quality" blanks from two different vendors.

To me the term would imply that at least I could expect well above average quality.

I ordered several thuya burl blanks from knotwood on esty operated by Seth a member here. I received them quickly and they had splendid eyes and swirls. Cheers all around, for a good transaction. His idea of exhibition and mine were the same.

I ordered three exhibition quality camphor burls from another large vendor and to be honest was very disappointed. Granted I have not had camphor burl prior to this but I expected more. The blanks appear to have a few waves at best. I emailed them my observations and they sent me a 15 dollar gift credit. Only problem was with their shipping rate I would have not been able to replace a single blank. Perhaps my expectations were out of line which is why I did not mention the vendor's name. I am sure they are great folks but the term "exhibition" led me to hope for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

It is hard to sort out what terms used to promote blanks mean. Over the last few weeks I have ordered "exhibition quality" blanks from two different vendors.

To me the term would imply that at least I could expect well above average quality.

I ordered several thuya burl blanks from knotwood on esty operated by Seth a member here. I received them quickly and they had splendid eyes and swirls. Cheers all around, for a good transaction. His idea of exhibition and mine were the same.

I ordered three exhibition quality camphor burls from another large vendor and to be honest was very disappointed. Granted I have not had camphor burl prior to this but I expected more. The blanks appear to have a few waves at best. I emailed them my observations and they sent me a 15 dollar gift credit. Only problem was with their shipping rate I would have not been able to replace a single blank. Perhaps my expectations were out of line which is why I did not mention the vendor's name. I am sure they are great folks but the term "exhibition" led me to hope for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Defining "Exhibition Grade" .... A blank that cost 2 -3x's more than it should. I will agree with you. I received x grade as a gift. Not slightly impressed. Your expectations were not unrealistic. To me an Exhibition Grade blank would be a piece so highly figured you could not stop staring at it. And when it's complete you do not want to part with it.

Last edited:

robutacion

The question is fair and reasonable, myself as a vendor, I try to be very careful at how I promote my blanks as I will not tag them as exhibition grade unless I'm satisfied they deserve that title.

Every piece of wood or burl is different, each species can produce one or various grades of quality, some will never be able to go above A3 or A2 at the best while others never produce anything under A1 above that are what I call "gems" or more known as exhibition grade, this "term" should signify the best that particular species has to offer, incorrect labelling from lack of knowledge or experience is not right but I can understand, however, misusing the term to mislead and try to justify the asked price is in my view, wrong and fraudulent and for that there is no excuse.

Mistakes are made, is always great to see a vendor who is willing to rectify the issue and or offer a full refund, after that, is up to you if you want to go back to that vendor or not, remember, mistakes are made regardless who you are, there is a big difference in between a mistake and a trend.

I encourage anyone that is selling a product to have at least one pic available of the item in question if you think that you need more clarity or other sides of the item, you should not hesitate to ask that to the vendor if he/she is honest and is interested in you as a customer, you will get what you asked, the final decision will always be yours.

Is this what I expect from the vendor I buy from..? absolutely...!

Cheers
George

TonyL

Here is what I think when I see that description:

A quality (eg. less defects), better overall appearance, greater desirability (more folks want it or will place a higher value on it), less waste (undesirable material, grain pattern, punky-ness etc..), than a blank without the "exhibition grade" rating. I see it as a very relative rating/grading.

Once I get it and turn it, I see whether or not it meets by personal definition. Often it does, but I am no expert. Having said that, I was recently disappointed with the lot of BOL I received. Almost all of the blanks had a section that I would consider something that I would not want to see on a pen. However, another turner may like that. The first order I received did not have those sections. Maybe, I was "spoiled" the fist time, and my expectations were raised.

MRDucks2

I have sold a few blanks and setting up to sell my oversupply. As such, the first thing that comes to my mind is that anything I find among my blanks that I consider exhibition quality, I will likely but in my box marked "best blanks" and keep for myself. :)

I asked a similar question on how to qualify blanks about a year ago. The most honest answers indicated that "Exhibition Quality" will go on something a seller wants more money for.

As Tony pointed out, it is quite relative. For example, an exhibition quality buckeye burl or chittum burl would, in my opinion, be of significantly higher quality to my eye than an exhibition quality curly or birdseye maple pen blank.

Why? Well, to me, Chittum Burl and Buckeye Burl start out with a higher bar than Curly or Birdseye Maple. Keep in mind we are talking about pieces of wood in 5 square inch range, not big enough to build furniture with. A small piece of burl can look quite nice on its own but, again in my opinion, birdseye or curl in a maple is more powerful in bigger pieces.

Exhibition quality should be of highest character of grain and/or color for the species, cut square and to standard sizes; be solid with no visible voids, checks, cracks, pith, or other damage that would take away from the workability or character unless already stabilized in such fashion as to negate these flaws.

wood128

I have sold a good many segmented and solid wood pen blanks here on IAP.
I do not use the term "exhibition grade " for any of my sales.
Keep it simple !! I usually say that the blanks are the finest that I can find , with great grain patterns of curly, beeswing , burl, no cracks, voids , etc. and they are offered at a REASONABLE price. I do sand them ,cut square and for some wood species, they are lightly coated with mineral oil to bring out the beautiful colors. From my recollection , No buyer has ever requested to return any blanks.
One final note..........As you probably know, our woods are increasing in price almost monthly and availability of those special figured woods, including burls , is difficult at best. Some are most impossible to purchase and resell . I will hang in there and try my best to offer some great woods , without a price increase. :wink::tongue::biggrin::redface::hypnotized::rolleyes:

jttheclockman

My first opinion is there are wayyyyyyy too many people selling blanks that it has gotten ridiculous. The price I see for blanks weather it is here or on facebook or ebay sometimes make me shake my head in disbelief and people buy these things. I buy lumber of all kinds and know fairly well price of a board weather it is exotic or domestic and when I see blanks cut to 5" and grouped together and cost more than a board foot it make me cringe. Some woods are rarer than others and should command a bigger $$ but some people just play up the writing on then when they do not sell the piece they are showing and have that special piece they use for their photos is fraud to me. The use of the word antique, and rare gets thrown around alot on ebay. I buy watches and the same watch that some call rare and antique and is being sold for 10 times more than is worth especially when there is one exactly underneath it that is far less.

As someone mentioned here BUYER BEWARE. Do some homework on things you buy. There are a ton of blank sellers out there so look them up and follow them and read reviews. You are right Exhibition grade should be the best of the best. The problem sometimes is if you are buying a slab of wood that carries that designation may qualify for it in the state it is in, but when cut to smaller sizes it may lose some of its character too so be aware of this also.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Everyone has given excellent recommendations. In line with what John T mentioned, I back off from ordering anything from new vendors or companies until I check them out on Google.

I do realize that negative reviews will be entered at a higher rate than positive reviews on companies, and on Amazon there are obvious negative reviews on some things that are designed to send the reader to a different product.

That said, I learned a valuable lesson with appliance repairs for my USA appliances that I had when I lived in Japan. After ordering a part and not receiving it in the time specified even overseas, I checked the reviews and found that it was not just "overseas" but it was their habit to procrastinate until threatened to cancel/refuse payment through the credit card company.

Check out reviews. They are your friend. Be aware that there are those who will give a negative review just to get free products too! Not all negative reviews are real, but the honesty and quality of the vendor or company will show through!

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Lee is right about negative reviews. You can't please some people. Wife and I were getting ready to go on vacation. I looked at the reviews of one motel. The got one star in the review- the customer didn't have enough towels. He called the desk but the clerk said he couldn't leave the desk; late at night. Go get them yourself and quit whining. "Sir, would you like some cheese with that whine?"

WriteON

Lee is right about negative reviews. You can't please some people. Wife and I were getting ready to go on vacation. I looked at the reviews of one motel. The got one star in the review- the customer didn't have enough towels. He called the desk but the clerk said he couldn't leave the desk; late at night. Go get them yourself and quit whining. "Sir, would you like some cheese with that whine?"

My neighbor eats at a nice restaurant....rest room towels are low. That cheapened the night.

My Mother in law eats at any restaurant...... The server tends to ask HI..is anything ok??

Top Bottom