What do you have for interior shop wall and why?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
There are several thread with the progress of new shops, each with different interior wall coverings. I was just wondering what the choice is for these. I know everyone is going to give different answers, kind of like asking what you charge for a pen:biggrin: I just want to hear the different choices and why?

When I remodeled years ago I went with drywall painted white. The white walls really make the shop brighter. My shop is in an attached garage so the drywall also gives me a little bit of a fire barrier and I think with all of the seams sealed it retains heat better in the winter.

So what do you use and why?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

plywood for the majority, pegboard over plywood for the areas behind the workbench and lathe bench. plywood is great for putting a screw anywhere you want without worrying about it falling out or not supporting (like you would with drywall). pegboard is pegboard...hold all the tools and "stuff".

kingkeyman

Definitely plywood. You can ad or hang anything anywhere. Prime well. I prefer an extremely light gray paint.

Drywall painted white over studs.

It was primarily an economic decision to do drywall. The shop is a stand alone bldg (24x32) next to the house (out in the country). Got the drywall material & installation done cheaper than I could buy plywood alone. Plus I hate mudding & sanding so it was a luxury to have it done.

White was also a choice as I do other work there and white doesn't influence colors. Nice & bright, too.

Dan Masshardt

Existing cinder block because I'm too cheap to buy anything else and would rather turn in the time I have. :)

I'd love to one day have knotty pine or something on shop walls.

Rick_G

Existing concrete block walls. Shop is in the basement and has had water in it 3 times in the last 10 years. Not going to put anything up for mold to hide behind. It has a below grade entrance with no cover over it so I plan on putting a roof over the entrance this year, hopefully that's how the water is getting in and not the drain in the center of the floor.

76winger

OSB on my walls so I can hang things wherever needed. I'm working on doing the same with the ceiling over over and painting it white to reflect light down.

lorbay

Drywall top 4' and plywood bottom 4'. I wanted a smooth surface for the most part to paint and the plywood gives a good hard surface for things that get banged against the walls.

Lin.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mmmmm...the only things you should have on your walls are shelves and other storage...:biggrin: If you can see the wall then you are just wasting the space!!!:wink:

Attachments

• DSCF1976.JPG
    DSCF1976.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 246

MarkD

My "studio" is in the basement portion of my split level house. The basement is framed out, insulated, dry walled and painted in the event that I ever wanted to use it as living space again. I have several large cabinets mounted on the walls and I use a lot of french cleats to hang tools on the wall.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Pegboard
1. To hold the insulation in place
2. To hang stuff

My shop is 1/4 of a 30x50 wood frame, detached garage with metallic skin & roof. Studs are 4x6 timbers at 4' intervals. If I need to hang anything that the pegboard can't handle, I try to hang it directly on the studs. If that doesn't work out, I just put up some 1x4 or 1x6 boards across the studs to hang stuff on.

Bill Arnold

I used white pegboard on the top half of my shop walls, with 1/4" lauan plywood on the bottoms. I like the flexibility of the pegboard. If I were doing it again, I'd probably use slatwall in some areas.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Mike and, all who have posted. This thread is good timing for me to get ideas for my new shop. Some things for me to consider. I used drywall in Florida and, probably will in this one. I have 6 kitchen cabinets to mount on my walls. May not put all of them in the shed. I could use a couple in the garage. I like Lorbays idea of half plywood, half drywall.

randyrls

Storage idea: Take pegboard and make a frame for it. Mount preforated angle iron horizontally to the wall so the frame fits (+1/2") between the horizontal parts of the angle. Drill a hole the same size or slightly smaller as the holes in the angle iron into the top and bottom of the frame on one side. Drive a metal pin into the holes with glue. Make as many frames as you need and hang them to the angle iron like pages in a book. You can use both sides of the pegboard. I saw this on an episode of Woodsmith Shop on PBS

sbwertz

Ours is a converted double carport. Drywall with foam insulation between the studs on outside wall and front. Cinder block on back and house wall. Hanging cabinets on three walls. 8 foot insulated roll up door and window with air conditioner on the front. I prefer the roll up door because I have lights mounted over the whole ceiling.

I used white pegboard on the top half of my shop walls, with 1/4" lauan plywood on the bottoms. I like the flexibility of the pegboard. If I were doing it again, I'd probably use slatwall in some areas.

I used pegboard on the top half and solid masonite on the bottom half of my walls, although I now wish I had used peg board all the way to the floor.... mine is the brown peg board. my shop is a stand alone metal building with 2x4 studs on 24" centers and only 7' high walls... no insulation and the rafters all have hangers and such for wood storage... if the roof ever collapses, they won't find me for a week under the mess.

KenBrasier

I'm using OSB on the lower 4' that I'll paint white and white SlatWall on the upper 4'. I typicall wouldn't go for the high cost of SlatWall, but I got a great deal on Craigslist :biggrin::biggrin:where they were clossing a store.

sbwertz

drywall painted white with upper cabinets on three walls hung on french cleats. Cabinets are varnished baltic birch.

edited: Sorry, didn't realize this was an old post I'd already replied to.

Last edited:

monophoto

Shop is in the basement of a house built in 2002. Local codes dictated that the basement exterior walls be insulated with a vapor barrier., so the builder did studs on 2" centers. I added interior wall studding on 16" centers. Sheet rock on the exterior walls and the 'pretty side' of interior walls (the sides that the wife sees) - taped, but not painted. Had some OSB scraps that I used on the 'ugly' side of one interior shop wall to create a 'tool wall'

bsshog40

My shop was already here when I bought the house. Its a 20x60. Its a metal building and it is insulated throughout. Nothing was covering the insulation so I had to build 2x2 wood frames inside the metal beams and then mounted plywood for walls. Much better for added insulation.

Top Bottom