What do I do with this??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWK5150

What should I do with this piece of amboyna burl? Its 16"w x 21"t x 15/16". Any suggestions.

20061234518_DSC00503.jpg

20061234633_DSC00504.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomServo

Wow! must have set you back a fair bit... I tell you what, I'll help you recoup some of that loss by giving you a full twenty-five dollars for it! and I'll even pay for shipping. :) That piece'd make a lot of pen blanks! Is it dry?

JimGo

I'm with Kevin. You could get some great bowl/platter blanks out of the top part. And you can send the first five people who responded free pen-sized blanks for helping you with this dilema!

DWK5150

A platter huh. I have never actually turned one of those but I dont think I want to experiment with this piece for my first one. Would be a waist if I ruined it. Pen blanks now thats a really good possibility.

wayneis

Don with the natural edge it would make some very nice desk sets with matching pens and maybe even a clock. I've seen some very nice sets using this type of wood. Good luck and have fun.

Wayne

Dario

That is one pretty chunk of amboyna!!! WOW!!!

If you decide with pen blanks, I'll chime with the guys...save the natural edge for now. You won't get much from them but may be of other uses later (like a desk set or other stuff).

If it is for your own use...do not cut them to length yet. On a 16" long bar, you may get 4 pens if you just cut the exact blank length you need. You won't believe how much waste (% wise) we produce from 5.5" to 6" long blanks.

If it is no secret...how much did this chunk cost you?

Dario

That is a good buy. You will probably get close to 60 jumbo blanks out of that. $3.00 a piece for jumbo is cheap especially that quality burl. You did good buying it [:)]

DWK5150

But now is the question though what to make of it to make it really worth every penny. Its such a nice piece I want to make it right. Some of it will be pen blanks definetly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom