What do Halifax, NS and a WWII bomber have in common.........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micharms

besides a name! My dad was the pilot of a flight crew that flew Halifax bombers in WWII. There is one living member of the crew and he lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia. My wife and I are heading there on Thursday and are going to meet him on Friday. I'm pretty excited! Apparently we can expect to spend 4 or more hours with him listening to his stories as his long term memory is still very good. I hope he'll let us videotape our visit so we have a long term record of it.

Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
What a great opportunity. Just remember, don't push him. There probably some things that he may not like to talk about. My grandfather didn't mind talking about what they did in their spare time but only once did he ever talk about what he did in combat. Ask him about the time he and his brother in law went out rabbit hunting in a Shreman for a test drive or when he found a german motorcycle and he will talk for hours.

ctubbs

Wonderful opportunity and a great idea. The gross history is well documented, but the personal histories are long lost to never be recorded. Grab what ever he is willing and able to remember and preserve it for ever.
Charles

micharms

The son of another crew member got this whole thing started. He has visited this gentleman numerous times and was kind enough to send me copies of some notes he made with stories. They were pretty interesting. Apparently when he found out we were coming he commented that just talking about the crew and the airplane gave him a warm feeling.

Michael

islandturner

besides a name! My dad was the pilot of a flight crew that flew Halifax bombers in WWII. There is one living member of the crew and he lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia. My wife and I are heading there on Thursday and are going to meet him on Friday. I'm pretty excited! Apparently we can expect to spend 4 or more hours with him listening to his stories as his long term memory is still very good. I hope he'll let us videotape our visit so we have a long term record of it.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Well your note brought back memories of my Dad talking about the RCAF. Both he and his brother were wireless tailgunners on Halifax bombers. My uncle was lost in 1944 coming back from a raid over Germany. The war in Europe ended just as my Dad was about to fly his first mission. My Uncle was in the 427 (Lion) Squadren, based out of Leeming, UK.

There is a great book out that tells the whole story of the RCAF during the 2nd war called Reap the Whirlwind -- I recommend it highly.

I wish I could have met your Dad and shaken his hand...

Best regards
Steve

Last edited:

micharms

Thanks Steve. One of the proudest moments of my life was when I got to introduce my dad to the students at the high school I taught at. He was the guest speaker at our remembrance day assembly. He always bragged about his boys and it was my best opportunity to brag about my dad.

He was in 76 Squadron based out of Holme-on-Spalding-Moor.

I'll have to check out the book. There is a history of 76 Squadron titled "To See the Dawn Breaking." I guess one of my brothers must have it because I know Pop had a copy of it.

Michael

Last edited:

PenPal

Michael,

To prove the world is indeed a smaller place through communication I share with you in 1954 I met Laurie Ramsay an Australian who married a lass the same age as and school friend and near neighbor Josie, we both built houses when I was 20 and Laurie was ex RAAF a Lancaster Bomber rear Gunner.

Laurie was over Germany and was ordered to bail out on the way home which he duly did and somehow the others returned to England or limped back leaving him behind German lines,pretty scary stuff.

In Canberra where I live is our Australian War Memorial and it houses an almost ready to fly Avro Anson Lancaster of fame G for George, this plane languished at Canberra Airport for many years and at some time I have walked over and around it souveneering little bits before it was restored later on. Google G for George it is interesting.

Today I am 77 Laurie quite a bit older a woody these days living far from here.

Thankyou as well as Steve for restoring some of my memories of Lancaster Bombers.

Kind regards Peter.

islandturner

Laurie was ex RAAF a Lancaster Bomber rear Gunner.

...Australian War Memorial and it houses an almost ready to fly Avro Anson Lancaster of fame G for George,

Hello Peter

Your story is fascinating.

During WW2, Canada served as a training center for airmen from all over the Commonwealth. We had unlimited safe terrain, lots of fuel, lots of little airports, and our PM at the time decided that would be our role. I'll bet your friend Laurie trained in Canada? My Dad went through the training here, and recalled meeting a lot of Australians. I understand they were pretty good guys to have along when having a night in town... :wink:

Also interesting that you refer to him as a 'rear gunner'. I don't know about the Lancasters, but apparently the RCAF Halifax wireless operators, cross trained as rear gunners. Do you know if Laurie took the wireless training, too?

My Dad won some kind of shooting award as a rear gunner – he always claimed that shooting grouse and pheasants in the Okanagan as a kid, with his old 20 gauge Cooey, taught him the skills that transferred to 'tail end Charlie's' machine gun... But after the war, he used his wireless skills and went to work for the Canadian Pacific Railway as a telegrapher.

While the Lancasters and Halifax looked somewhat the same, no Halifax bombers survived the war – they were all dismantled or junked. One was found on the bottom of a lake in Norway in 1995, raised, and shipped in tattered pieces back to Trenton, Ontario where it was restored – it's now the only fully intact Halifax in the world. Story here: http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=1463

Great thread, Gents...

Steve

Y2009-CF4F-01.jpg

Last edited:

micharms

My parents met because my mother's brother trained in Canada and stayed with a family in Owen Sound. When my father mustered he went to visit and met my mother and , well, here I am! Sadly my uncle was a casualty of the war.

I believe there is another restored Halifax in England.

It is interesting to hear the different gunner descriptions because the person that started me on this journey is the son of the tail gunner. My dad always referred to the tail gunner and not the rear gunner. My father would also really take you to task Steve for comparing the Lancasters and the Halifaxes:tongue: I'm sure anyone who flew on a Lancaster would probably feel the same.

Thank you Peter for sharing your story. I hesitated about starting this thread because I tend to be a very private person but I am very glad that I did.

Friday we get to meet the older gentleman. I can hardly wait. I'm taking him some photos from my dad's album showing the crew. I've made them large so he will hopefully be able to see them clearly.

Michael

Last edited:

Christian

And please shake that man's hand for me. Here in the UK, we will never forget the sacrifice those young men made for our futures.

Per Ardua ad Astra

micharms

Disapointment

Well my getting to meet the member of my dad's flight crew didn't happen and right now it doesn't appear that it is going to happen. Fortunately for him but unfortunately for us his daughter arrived for a visit. I'm almost willing to bet that she was on the same flight as us. I've phoned twice now trying to set up an alternate visit but have only spoken to his son and daughter. Neither one seem particularly inclined to help me make this happen.

Although this was only part of our reason for making the trip to Nova Scotia right now it has left a huge void in me. We have one more day at the end of our trip that I am going to try and see him but more family is arriving soon so I'm doubtful it will occur.

Michael

Top Bottom