What to do after harvesting burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
My cousin is building a new home on the farm. He is removing some trees. Box Elder with several Burls in it. Asked me if I wanted them? How can I say NO? :confused: I've never encountered this situation in my life. So....I am appealing to you friends with experience for, your advice as to what to do with it? How to cut it up to be a little more specific. Any advice would be well received and, appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Many with much more experience than me but here goes :biggrin:

If you decide to keep them whole use anchorseal or some type of sealer on the ends so they dry slower and leave a little extra on either end of the burl so hopefully checking happens there and doesn't reach into the burl. If you want to cut it up I've started with a chainsaw on a couple and then switched to bandsaw when I got to a reasonable and safe capacity size. Then cut it up to the size that suits you best. If it's more than you can use maybe cut it up into slabs or chunks and sell or trade extra, that way whoever wants them can cut it up into the blanks they want or use as bowl blanks or hollow forms type stuff. I've got some cherry burls drying that I got about this time last year, left them whole, sealed the ends, some have cracked some did just fine. I run a dehumidifier in my shop which didn't help the drying slow process but was needed over the summer. I left them whole because I don't know what all I will do with them yet and was just sort of curious to see how well they dried. If you do cut them up I still think sealing them is good no matter what.

If the farm is in Georgia I'll be happy to go pick them up and hold them for ya! :biggrin:Whenever you get them remember the no pics rule!:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Thanks Mark! Good reading there. That's what I was looking for.:wink:

Many with much more experience than me but here goes :biggrin:

If you decide to keep them whole use anchorseal or some type of sealer on the ends so they dry slower and leave a little extra on either end of the burl so hopefully checking happens there and doesn't reach into the burl. If you want to cut it up I've started with a chainsaw on a couple and then switched to bandsaw when I got to a reasonable and safe capacity size. Then cut it up to the size that suits you best. If it's more than you can use maybe cut it up into slabs or chunks and sell or trade extra, that way whoever wants them can cut it up into the blanks they want or use as bowl blanks or hollow forms type stuff. I've got some cherry burls drying that I got about this time last year, left them whole, sealed the ends, some have cracked some did just fine. I run a dehumidifier in my shop which didn't help the drying slow process but was needed over the summer. I left them whole because I don't know what all I will do with them yet and was just sort of curious to see how well they dried. If you do cut them up I still think sealing them is good no matter what.

If the farm is in Georgia I'll be happy to go pick them up and hold them for ya! :biggrin:Whenever you get them remember the no pics rule!:)

Good information Warren. Sorry, the farm is in southern Illinois :biggrin:But, you're welcome to come and, HELP :biggrin:

Top Bottom