What to do with this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

I'm a sucker for the cut-off bins. I took a chance on this.
7c9e1ac48c1a2277ab56d53f19a30e35.jpg

b898816c0dc5a8c7968ed24de582fb00.jpg
a1477c7fd20326a51aa2040e024a28d2.jpg

I probably should have left it there. It has pith and reaction wood. Any ideas of what I could / should do with it? Best way to cut it for blanks? Any guesses as to what it is? It is heavy, a little oily, no smell.
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Looks like Desert Ironwood to me. It's going to be tough to cut that up without getting some cracks in the blanks. Most small cracks are easily fixed while turning with some CA. If this is indeed Ironwood I'm not sure how much stabilizing will help....

PatrickR

^ Thanks. I'm not very familiar with DIW. I do have one small piece and it looks different than this. This piece is less red (more of a walnut color) with darker sap wood that is less delineated.

KenV

If it is,oily, probably one of the central/south american species.

I bandsaw alonf major cracks and plan n,using epoxy fillers. I use thin epoxy sold for rot repair and add black epoxy colorant. Thin viscosity amd slow set time get good penetration. Risk is these epoxys will leak through tape joints so plastic bags are good to contain messes.

Cut off scraps of desert ironwood sell for $10 a pound in Tucson.

PatrickR

Thanks. I have a pressure pot and some LD so I can cast it to deal with the cracks. Ill cut some of it and let it sit awhile to see if it moves before I do anything further.
I did okay then, $5 a pound.

Top Bottom