What to do with this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

It is about 5' long, the largest twist is about 6" across, I am pretty sure that the twists enclose a vine or once enclosed a vine. You can see where it emerged in the photo. No clue as to type of wood. Seems very hard and very dry. Guy that gave it to me harvested it years ago in Southwest Virginia.

IMG_0102.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Saw a walking stick like that- the thin end had a rubber cap and the top was mortised to take a wood handle that was drilled and glued to the top.

robutacion

Well, if you are considering to make some bowls or similar castings out of it, I suggest you cut it at suitable lengths and to make sure there is no moisture inside it, put it in the oven for 24 hours at the lowest temperature setting, 60° celsius is OK.

If you use Polyester resin, you need to consider the normal problems (cracking) on large pours so, you need to reduce the % of the catalyst at about 1/4 of the recommended amount, this will force the curing time to extend considerably and therefore, preventing the extreme heat that regular catalyst %'s would create in large pours, it may take a few days to cure but is safer that way...!

The brittleness often found with Polyester castings, particularly when the amount of catalyst recommended is exceeded (happens to those in a hurry...!) is prevented on these type of slow curing, after cured the resin is hard but is a lot softer to cut/work with, similar to Epoxy resins and Alumilite...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Cwalker935

Well, if you are considering to make some bowls or similar castings out of it, I suggest you cut it at suitable lengths and to make sure there is no moisture inside it, put it in the oven for 24 hours at the lowest temperature setting, 60° celsius is OK.

If you use Polyester resin, you need to consider the normal problems (cracking) on large pours so, you need to reduce the % of the catalyst at about 1/4 of the recommended amount, this will force the curing time to extend considerably and therefore, preventing the extreme heat that regular catalyst %'s would create in large pours, it may take a few days to cure but is safer that way...!

The brittleness often found with Polyester castings, particularly when the amount of catalyst recommended is exceeded (happens to those in a hurry...!) is prevented on these type of slow curing, after cured the resin is hard but is a lot softer to cut/work with, similar to Epoxy resins and Alumilite...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Thank you George! that's just what I was looking for.

robutacion

I liked the idea of cutting it into sections to make pen stands.

Yes, that would be an option but, the more I look at it, the more I think that I would prefer keeping the whole thing as is and make a self-standing long lamp, the top could be made of many things that are woodworking involved, most unusual shaped pieces, as soon as they get cut, they lose their character forever.

Cheers
George

Cwalker935

Yes, that would be an option but, the more I look at it, the more I think that I would prefer keeping the whole thing as is and make a self-standing long lamp, the top could be made of many things that are woodworking involved, most unusual shaped pieces, as soon as they get cut, they lose their character forever.

Cheers
George

I have thought about a floor lamp but am not sure how you would drill a hole through the length of it. A table lamp using part of it is very definitely a possibility. While the unusual shape has its own appeal and character, I am thinking that there is a lot of unusual grain in those swirls and that the grain coupled with the embedded vine will have quite a bit of character if turned in the right way.

PatrickR

Cheers
George

I have thought about a floor lamp but am not sure how you would drill a hole through the length of it. A table lamp using part of it is very definitely a possibility. While the unusual shape has its own appeal and character, I am thinking that there is a lot of unusual grain in those swirls and that the grain coupled with the embedded vine will have quite a bit of character if turned in the right way.

When I saw the picture I immediately remembered having this.
bb245f56df7db11c395c67900ddec532.jpg

1bbf1fb8e0435783777c369689aa0e8f.jpg

I'm in the same boat. Not sure what to do with it.

Top Bottom