What is the differance: True North and Magnetic North

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I am looking to use my iphone for geocaching (finding containers hidden in the woods). I can set the compass feature for either true or magnetic north. I heard somewhere that one of them needs to have declination added or subtracted.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terryf

True north is exactly what it means, the direction to the north pole.

Magnetic north is what your handheld compass shows you and is a result of the magnetic field inside the earhths core. You must determine the declination from time to time as it changes for each compass at each location.

You can go here to get a rough idea.
NOAA's Geophysical Data Center - Geomagnetic Data

As far as geocaching goes it shouldn't matter as you are not using you compass but rather a latitude and longitude. If your GPS can do both its generally accepted to use true north.

philipff

The difference is called Variation and is different in each part of the county and world. Magnetic settings are a whole lot easier to follow. Good luck searching! Philip

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Check the map

If you are given compass directions and distances to follow you want to set it so you are using the same type readings as directions are given in (most commonly that would be magnetic, but if they used GPS it could be either.

terryf

If you are given compass directions and distances to follow you want to set it so you are using the same type readings as directions are given in (most commonly that would be magnetic, but if they used GPS it could be either.

No compass directions are given in geocaching unless its a multi stage cache and even then its very unlikely.

They use lat longs almost exclusively.

Rick P

"Navycop" I had assumed you were or are in the service.........you don't know how to read a compass!?!?!

The decliniation from ture north can be very significant! Here it's 18 degrees 3 minutes East, that will definately effect where you end up in as little as a couple of miles 1 degree is one inch at 100 yards!!!!! I follow magnetic north that puts me off 18 inches for every 100 yards traveled!

Finatic

The difference between True North and Magnetic North is "Variation". In New England it is about 15 degrees and will incresas by x minutes per year.
Check a nautical chart in your area as it will be either larger or smaller and can be east or west of true north.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

No compass directions are given in geocaching unless its a multi stage cache and even then its very unlikely.

They use lat longs almost exclusively.
If your I phone can give you either magnetic or true - my guess is that you won't need to worry about variation. The gps signals are based on true north and the iphone can computer the variation based on the phones actual location. Do you need to use a hand held compass to determine the direction to walk? If you do get magnetic readings from your iphone and don't sweat variation.

Top Bottom