What did you like, What didn't you like?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

So the Summer Extravaganza is wrapped up and ready to be put away but I'd like to get your thoughts on what you liked / didn't like, things that should have been done differnt and things of that nature. I've got thick skin so don't hold your tongue. If you prefer you can PM rather than post here. Basically I"m just looking for ways to improve for next year. Also feel free to voice your opinion on which kit to use for next years ball point contest. Looking foward to the feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I did not like the 2 rounds of voting in some of the contests and that the overall results of the first round of voting was not announced.

I did not like that the pen makers were named up front in the rollerball contest.

I did not like that the announcements for voting and voting results were not more prominently displayed on the home page.

I liked the challenge and general support and recognition offered by the IAP community. I did not feel like a loser even though I did not win anything.

All in all it was a positive experience for me.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
So the Summer Extravaganza is wrapped up and ready to be put away but I'd like to get your thoughts on what you liked / didn't like, things that should have been done differnt and things of that nature. I've got thick skin so don't hold your tongue. If you prefer you can PM rather than post here. Basically I"m just looking for ways to improve for next year. Also feel free to voice your opinion on which kit to use for next years ball point contest. Looking foward to the feedback.
THIS....should be interesting :biggrin::tongue:

Kenny Durrant

First I would like to say thanks to everyone involved from the ones who put it together to the voters. As far as the to contests I participated in they went well as far as the contest was concerned but not so well for the contestant. If I had to come up with something to change it would be the voting. I don't know if it's possible or even make a difference but be able to vote for each place. Each person would have three votes, one for each place. If that's not probable it's good like it is. Thanks

BJohn

Coming from what I saw, and since I did not participate (not from lack of interest but lack of time this summer). I will next summer or maybe in the next contest.

Not trying to butter you up Oliver but I thought the contest was run great. I really like the humor you injected into it.

The one thing I may have to agree with is that it might be better that the entries be emailed in and then posted for voting with out the names of the turner. This way it is pretty much an unbiased voting. IMHO names should only be posted with the results.

I would personally like to see the complete results list. Especially if I did have an entry, I would like to know were my work stood with the best and all the rest.

I enjoyed watching from the outside and if at all possible will be in the next one.

Oliver thanks for your time you put into running the Extravaganza.

Cwalker935

In looking back at my earlier post, it was far too negative- I apologize for that. I really appreciate the hard work that you and others put into the extravaganza. I particularly liked the creative ways that you promoted your contests even if I it was pretty shameless at times. Thanks.

One last negative comment, please don't do euros in the next ballpoint contest. Don't like em.

toddlajoie

... since I did not participate (not from lack of interest but lack of time this summer)....

This is my biggest complain too. The Summer Extravaganza looked like a lot of fun and there were some great contests, but my spare time was practically non-existent in July, and August was spent catching up from July. (I think this summer I made a grand total of 6 pens, 5 of them identical gifts for a team I worked on a project for...)

In the end, there was just too much "Summer" in the Summer Extravaganza. I vote that we take a mild procrastinator's perspective on a summer contest, and schedule it for late-September to October (but let's not interfere with Oktober, if you get my meaning...
beer-chugger.gif
)

In all seriousness tho, it looks like a great set of contests, and the pens were FANTASTIC!!! From my occasional spectator perspective, it was spot-on fantastic!!!

plantman

I think we need a contest for turners that actualy made their own pens. Seems that a lot of the entrents were those who could afford to go out and buy the best blanks that someone else made, puts some fittings on them, and enters it in a " Best Of Show " contest. Now before I get to much hate mail, there is nothing wrong with this concept, we do it all the time in car shows !! This is my point. Is it fair for someone who buys blanks and fittings, puts them together, and makes a fantastic looking pen, to be judged in the same contest as someone that pain stakeingly cut out, glued up, turned, and finnished, a 1500 piece segmented pen ???? I think we need some place where the skills and ideas of the maker are discribed and judged. Contests should also be placed into new, medium, and advanced turners. Everyone in one group is not fair to the newer turners. Listing names was a "no no ". The object was to judge the pen and not who made it !! My list goes on and on, but if the thread is to long, people stop reading. I praise all those involved with the contests and those that entered !!! Jim S

Last edited:

kingkeyman

You, Mr Oliver, did a spectacular job. I do like the idea of voting for the top three, I think that would make for a better round two. I am certainly looking forward to entering a pen or two next year.

magier412

I thought that the contests were fun and loved to look at all the entries. I enjoyed reading the info that some of the turners provided as it helped me (as a relative newbie) understand the work better. The only gripe I have is that it was kinda hard to find out the results...

Fun times!

~~ Kay

SteveJ

Derek

The contests were a lot of fun. I really appreciated the banter between those running it to get people to participate. A few things I would suggest:

1. Have all the voting the same. One contest allowed three votes (which I didn't notice till after I had voted once and therefore forfeited my other two votes.) I think up front you could say something like, there will be three rounds of voting if we have more than 3X entries. Two rounds if we have 2X entries and less than X will have one round.

2. Figure out a way to get the posts concerning the event to show up on the main page. I think it might have increased involvement (although you did a great job of prodding us).

Steve

Ironwood

I enjoyed the whole lot of it. the only criticism I have is the differences in the voting in some of the sections, I was having trouble knowing which I had voted in and which one had rounds of voting.

I am sorry I didn't have the time to enter a few more of the contests, but with my work commitments, and trying to set up a new lathe in my shed, as well as trying to complete some commissioned pens all while the contests were happening, made it a bit hard for me.

I am glad I had the time to enter my bullet pen in that contest, maybe next year I can be a bit more prepared.

Oh, and one last thing, I think the slimline section needed to be promoted a bit more heavily, maybe some full page ads in the bigger newspapers and possibly on TV. :biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin:

Kenny Durrant

After reading some of the other post I would like to make sure that I made my suggestion clear. Not that I'm disagreeing with some, I would like to vote for the top three spots, not three rounds for first place. I want to vote for the pens the order I think they should rate first, second and third for only one round. Thanks

D.Oliver

Oliver thanks for your time you put into running the Extravaganza.

I can't take credit for running the Extravaganza. That thunder belongs to Mike Redburn. I only ran my two contest. On a side note....Why is that when I try to type something nice about Mike my fingers cramp up?:confused::biggrin:

DLGunn

I'm not a super active poster here so take this for what's is worth.

I had no idea there was any kind of contest until about two days before the contest ended. I don't know if it's because there are so many forums and I just missed it. Or if others missed it too.

I also didn't like the names being shown. Names should only be shown with the final results.

Timebandit

I'm not a super active poster here so take this for what's is worth.

I had no idea there was any kind of contest until about two days before the contest ended. I don't know if it's because there are so many forums and I just missed it. Or if others missed it too.

I also didn't like the names being shown. Names should only be shown with the final results.

Dave, i find the easiest way to keep up what is going on and what is new, is by clicking the new posts tab. I never go through forums individually, ever, unless i am looking for something in specific. The only tab i use is the New Posts tab. Every time i get on here, i click it. It pops up every new thread that has been posted. And, when you open a thread to look at it, the next time you click on the New Posts tab, that thread will no longer show up, unless, someone has posted a new comment in it since the last time you opened the thread. Even if im not interested in a thread, i will click on it and then hit the back arrow, then go on to the next thread. Even if im not interested in it, i click on it and open it, then hit the back arrow. Then the next time i hit the New Posts tab, those threads wont show up, unless someone posted in them, and i can see what new threads there are. When i get on, usually before i get off, i can click on the New Posts tab and it will be empty, meaning that there is absolutely nothing that i have missed, even if i wasnt interested in it. Like right now, if i click on it, its only going to have a few new threads in in, unless people are posting in the threads and bumping them up in the list. There were many many many threads and also shameless promoting throughout the entire forum the Extravaganza. Also, usually when IAP does events, there is some sort of advertising for it on the front page.

Hope this helps

Brooks803

I think we need a contest for turners that actualy made their own pens. Seems that a lot of the entrents were those who could afford to go out and buy the best blanks that someone else made, puts some fittings on them, and enters it in a " Best Of Show " contest. Now before I get to much hate mail, there is nothing wrong with this concept, we do it all the time in car shows !! This is my point. Is it fair for someone who buys blanks and fittings, puts them together, and makes a fantastic looking pen, to be judged in the same contest as someone that pain stakeingly cut out, glued up, turned, and finnished, a 1500 piece segmented pen ???? I think we need some place where the skills and ideas of the maker are discribed and judged. Contests should also be placed into new, medium, and advanced turners. Everyone in one group is not fair to the newer turners. Listing names was a "no no ". The object was to judge the pen and not who made it !! My list goes on and on, but if the thread is to long, people stop reading. I praise all those involved with the contests and those that entered !!! Jim S

Jim were you watching a different contest than the rest of us? There were rules in place to make sure the person entering a pen MADE the blank themselves if it was not a commercially made blank that ANYONE else could use. I'd have to go back and look at every entry in every contest, but I'm pretty sure all the blanks that were home made were made by the person that entered it. I know for a fact that's the case in my contest. To say it's not fair bc some people went well out of their way to make something special for a contest is childish and bitter.

Listing names was not a "no no". It was MY decision to do it. You can like it or you can not. I'm willing to wager that there was not a single vote cast bc they wanted to vote for OR against a single person. Even if it did happen...do you seriously think it would happen enough times to make a difference in the outcome? Each finishing place in my contest won by double the # of votes 14-27-41. Popularity did not play a role here. .

If you want to do more than play couch quarterback please VOLUNTEER to run a contest next year. Contest chairs get a lot of room to make their rules and guidelines. Step up and do so if you want.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I loved the way all of the hosts interacted and managed their contests. Reading all the banter was a lot of fun. I think this great banter is sometimes lacking during Bash parties. I think that the rules of these contests were far better than the sometimes biased rules in the Bashes ( in my opinion anyway )

I'm on IAP several times every day and I must admit that I didn't realise there would even be any contests until they were just about already running. I don't have the home page as my default setting. :wink:
I'm often confused as to what or how a 'Sticky' works. Were these contests even tagged as Sticky's? If they were, then why did I have to search for contest threads or go back into the home page to follow the links back to them? I would think that 'Sticky's' would ALWAYS be at the top of the first page at least until the host/ mod un-Sticky'd it. Maybe I'm just an old technomoron:biggrin:

All in all......a job very well done.:wink::good::good::good:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe contests were in their own forum with a link to them at the top of the front page over the top of the Featured Pen picture. The general rules and polls were made sticky but that only works within the specific forum they are posted in. You would have to go to the forum either from the front page or from the forum tab at the top of the pages. You could see the results of the voting if you went back to the polls after voting was over and the result were then made public. I plan to do this again next year and hopefully it will become a tradition. It is purposely set 6 months from the Bash. I felt that by August most of the vacation time would be over and done. Those that have kids would be able to round them up and make pens or be settling in awaiting school to start. Weather should be mild in about all places. Skip tHe banter is the direct result of a delusional mind and twisted personality. Not that I'm naming names or pointing fingers but his initials are DOliver and he is from one of the Dakotas. (maybe the North one?) He has my utmost gratitude for all his efforts and work. Please keep posting thoughts and comments, they are read and they are taken into account in the debates that precede the contests. I want to thank all the members who donated prizes and the members who entered a pen and those of you that voted and supported the contests. It was a great beginning.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
By the way if you want to you can also PM or email me by clicking on the link in my avatar if you want to make a private comment.

firewhatfire

I think you should bring back the "UGLY PEN" contest for it next year......if you do, I hope the statute of limitations for my last entry has expired so I can RE-USE it.

Wish I had time to play but I am still behind. I may not have time to finish birthday bash entry at this point.

Janster

The Summer Extravaganza is over and...

.......I "think",people who like to build, just like to build, it's not about getting something for it. It's about making something happen, something hopefully new and as of yet unseen. A new style, concept,innovation or a better way to achieve results. It is a community of sharing. It is not about making money, fame,or who has the latest and best equipment or any of that. Also it is not about a level playing field. It is as in life ,"all is not fair". We all bring something different to the table as it relates to our pasts, upbringings and experiences. We put out our work for approval, everyone noncommittally agrees to give what they can and many give even more. Mike,Derek,Jonathan and other come to mind. We take knowledge and we give what we desire to share and everyone receives in abundance the collective knowledge here in our community. We as pen makers allow individuals to express themselves to others who share the same passion. IAP offers us a chance to show people what we can create and too, show appreciation for their skills! Now, go build something! The Bash is in the near future as is the upcoming PITH! Be well.......Jan

stonepecker

I will give a "+1" to both Skiprat's and Janster's comments.

I enjoyed everything about these contests. I do believe with the talent shown, we need multi-voting.......some of these pens deserve more then one chance.
I also hated the fact that names were posted. Leave them off and let the pens and the artists work stand on their own. Some work we 'know' who it is.......others, the surprise of seeing the name after the contest is just as thrilling. Everyone did a great job.

More banter, more fun, there isn't anything better. Thank you everyone who had anything to do with putting this on. Mike you Rock!

Last edited:

Brooks803

I also hated the fact that names were posted. Leave them off and let the pens and the artists work stand on their own. Some work we 'know' who it is.......others, the surprise of seeing the name after the contest is just as thrilling. Everyone did a great job.

I'm not going to get any more defensive about posting the names as I already have. I stand by what I did and I wouldn't change it if I had to do it again. I get what everyone is saying about wanting an unbiased poll. If I decide to do another contest I'll more than likely do it that way (as I have in all my other contests). I just wanted to point out something after reading the part I quoted in red.

Not a single contest entry has been identified since the closing of the contest other than the winners.

John Smith

I also thought it odd to have the names on the entries during the polls. I wondered if it would hurt my chances because of popularity. I am a relative no name on the site. But to my surprise I won a first and second place. Way on the bottom of the third. But, I did not enter with any thoughts of placing let alone winning a first. I entered for the fun and enjoyment of it. I think the various contests were run well. And the names being posted really didn't mean anything in the end. Thank you for all you have done Jonathon and the other leaders on the contests. Looking forward to entering again.

D.Oliver

Okay. It looks like we have some good feedback. We will discuss it for not only next years Summer Extravaganza but also for this year's Bash. Thanks everyone.

CrimsonKeel

My feedback would be to Set up a sticky link in the "penturning" forum that points to new events. Ive missed a few by not checking the activities forum. I now make a point of looking for the new posts box mark there but Im not always diligent. I however always Check the "penturning" forum.

Other than that I think it was a great time and the organizers did an outstanding job or keeping it fresh

southernclay

John, I agree with you. For the rollerball/fountain contest specifically I liked that everything was very uniform in pictures, background etc. It did surprise me that that also involved names although I see very little bearing in voting results and the names being present. I voted for John and didn't know him and don't really care for the Panache kit overall but that is an amazing pen!

Also I knew that my name(s) would be included since it was requested with the entry so if I didn't like it I didn't have to enter :biggrin:

I think the slimline and ballpoint should have been promoted better. :tongue:

I usually look at the latest posts on the front page as a quick chance to look during the day. It would be cool to see the posts for the contests integrated there but no biggie either way.

Overall it was ran great, was a lot of fun and look forward to next time. I push and challenge myself for this sort of thing so that's the best part to me.

loydstuts

I've been watching this thread for awhile, and finally decided to put my 2 cents worth in. As a newbie, I appreciated the opportunity to even enter. I was pleased in the way it was run. I entered the casting contest hoping to get at least 1 vote, but ended up tying for 5th. What a rush that was! I do think that all contests should identify the entrants at least after the vote, so we can let the folks know how they did. Thanks to everyone involved, especially those who donated prizes. Be blessed!!

Top Bottom