What Came First for You? The Pen Addiction or the Pen Turning Addiction?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I've noticed the more and more I turn pens the more fascinated I am by them and the more that I seem to collect! I used to see a pen as just a writing instrument and was completely fine with picking up a pack of BIC's for a few bucks.

Now, I see a good pen as a work of art and would prefer to have one of those in my pocket any day of the week. It seems as if I don't get tired of of finding out what that final product will look like from the humble beginnings of some brass tubes and a chunk of wood/metal/acrylic/etc. Each pen is unique and each one has so much character IMO.

So, did you have a pen addiction that led you to start turning pens or did you start the turning addiction first that has now developed into a pen addiction?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

I wouldn't call it an addiction, but I've always liked a good pen and a good pocket watch. Finding out that you didn't have to have a bazillion dollars worth of equipment to produce a good pen has piqued my interest in learning more.

Dehn0045

I started turning pens first, now I definitely appreciate writing with a nice pen. For me, giving pens as random gifts to family and coworkers is what I am addicted to. I usually have someone in mind while I'm making the pen. The hobby also gives me a reason to accumulate and talk about beautiful and exotic woods, which have always fascinated me.

edicehouse

I don't think I am addicted to either. I get inspired or a drive (or an order) to make some pens. The inspiration comes from many different sources, it can be a new blank, or something I found someplace. Or even someone.

MTViper

I'm honest. I'm addicted. I've always loved good pens, especially fountain pens. When I started turning, I wanted to make pens I would like and I still make them first. If I like them, I make more for others.

jttheclockman

Not even close to being addicted. Could give it all up tomorrow without hesitation. Not addicted to anything in life. Like to stay busy though so woodworking is what I do. I found pen turning as another way to express my artistic abilities. Just added it to the many objects I make. I do love segmenting blanks though. Not into the plain wood blanks or acrylics. I do love the truestone materials and the older materials. Creating the unseen is my goal. Trying new things.

Herb G

My story is a little off center. (Ha-ha.)

I did wood turning 40 years ago in school. I made a lot of bowls & stuff.
I always liked woodworking. Flat work, turning, you name it.
I had a chance to buy a used lathe (My floor lathe) and I went for it.

I made household stuff like stair spindles, etc.
I went to a wood show & saw pens turned. It looked like
fun, so that's how I got into it.

As for pens in general, I always had a good pen in my pocket as a kid.
I bought a Space Pen when I was 12 or so. I still have it.

tomtedesco

Is it an addiction if you just enjoy doing it? I can finish a pen (after gluing tube) in about an hour. There is not a lot of money invested and I enjoy giving the pens away to people that comment on them or are celebrating a special day. Giving a pen to someone always seems to make their day (and mine).

hcpens

IN DENIAL

Not even close to being addicted. Could give it all up tomorrow without hesitation. Not addicted to anything in life. Like to stay busy though so woodworking is what I do. I found pen turning as another way to express my artistic abilities. Just added it to the many objects I make. I do love segmenting blanks though. Not into the plain wood blanks or acrylics. I do love the truestone materials and the older materials. Creating the unseen is my goal. Trying new things.

Like JT, I have no addition, HA!:eek:

Heather

Mine was a pen addiction. I love pens and always have. It is hard for me to walk down the school supplies lane at the store without stopping,looking, and trying not to purchase a pack of pens.

I also love turning pens...a lot...as in ...I need an intervention haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

moke

I am addicted and I admit it....I did quit for a year and a half....I missed it and kept buying stuff that I didn't even use....I HAVE a problem.
Now, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate....
JT...you are not addicted to anything? How many posts have you made this month? Oh don't get me wrong, I like your posts and you are certainly talented at turning...but be honest with yourself, you got a problem just like the rest of us.
And the rest of you...not even a little addiction here?....really? Think it over....
This is meant all in good fun!!!

Oh and,
I would like to say that admission is the first step to recovery...but I don't want to recover...I'm having too much fun.

Last edited:

rhall_8

Pen addiction. I love fountain pens. I wanted to save money on pens, so I bought a couple thousand dollars of lathes and tools :)

jttheclockman

I am addicted and I admit it....I did quit for a year and a half....I missed it and kept buying stuff that I didn't even use....I HAVE a problem.
Now, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate....
JT...you are not addicted to anything? How many posts have you made this month? Oh don't get me wrong, I like your posts and you are certainly talented at turning...but be honest with yourself, you got a problem just like the rest of us.
And the rest of you...not even a little addiction here?....really? Think it over....
This is meant all in good fun!!!

Oh and,
I would like to say that admission is the first step to recovery...but I don't want to recover...I'm having too much fun.

I know you are just having fun. All this is to me is entertainment. Just like watching TV. I can leave tomorrow and not miss it or even be missed.
Definetly not addicted!!! Believe it or not.

Last edited:

Yablonsky

Hi, my name is Ken and I'm an addict....of turning a so so looking block of wood into a beautiful work of art. I started with my first Waterman pen I found on a plane. I've always liked a quality...anything. Quality Knifes are another thing I like to collect.

I picked up my lathe about 4 weeks ago. Honestly I've turned exactly 31 pens so far and only 3 of them slimlines. I tend to pick things up pretty quick and I do see my pen quality picking up also. I'm not afraid of putting a block of wood on the lathe and turning it down and fitting to a kit. If I'm not happy, I pull out the punch set and take it apart and turn it some more.

Well, I'm no longer using all the rosewood PSI sent with the lathe startup and have turned to the dark side of BURLS. I just can't get enough of them. I'm sure some of you have noticed me buying just about any kind of Burl wood I see. I can see in it the potential of my next pen and I do want to sell them but when I do, it hurts to let it go. I do end up getting the enjoyment of a customer or whomever I gift my pens to, going ohhh and ahhh and just can't believe it's made with wood. Cracks me up some times.
I spent a lot of years building and flying gliders and using CA to build and repair. Last night I went up to our local Kite Hill where everyone flies to borrow some drone batteries for a video gig for the Lions Club this weekend and had to explain my absence due to a new hobby business of turning pens. They didn't understand so I pulled out my little case of finished pens and boy did they go crazy over them. Brings pride into my work. Actually ended up selling 2 pens, at friends prices for their first pen. Additional, as I explained to them, will be at regular prices. They also got a kick when I explain the beautiful gloss look comes from a few coats of CA and wet sanding to 12k grit.

What came first? Technically the pen, but not really. I had the Waterman for several years. Just wanted a new hobby that could turn into business.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ken

I used to do calligraphy before computers replaced the art. My "attraction" to pens goes way back before that to pencils and drawing. Now, the attraction is the response people give from admiring pens that I make. I only make them by request and have little time to do other turning projects. But, thats OK, I am "addicted" to others appreciation of what they receive thru one of my pens, either as a gift for someone or for their personal use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom