What is "BLO" ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

upstatepano

Have seen this product mentioned several times. Have done searches but can't seem to find out anything about it. Anyone know what it is?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You can buy BLO (boiled linseed oil) at many places, including the big name hardware stores like Home Depot.

I do not fully understand its use with (or before) CA application when finishing pen barrels.

I have attempted to use it in the manner that other turners recommend but I have not found it useful. CA used alone works for me.

Last edited:

chartle

With a BLO CA finish its easier to apply the CA and I don't use activator which I think makes fora better finish.

upstatepano

I remember reading that someone was using it as a mold release, would that work?

Thanks for all the input. Learned something new to day so I can take the rest of the day off.
Thanks again

sbwertz

Have seen this product mentioned several times. Have done searches but can't seem to find out anything about it.

- lots of YooHooToob videos out there on BLO/CA finishes. I tried it after watching this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

- I thought the finish was ok, and it certainly was easy. But I think I still prefer a straight CA finish. YMMV

- ebill

This is the finish I teach most of my beginning turners. It is pretty much foolproof, and easy enough for even a blind turner to apply. It doesn't give as high gloss a shine as straight CA, but it will build up with multiple coats to fill in and completely smooth out a stone inlay or decal so you can't feel it at all. Young's video is excellent. I have a slimline purse pen that I finished with Young's technique seven years ago, and carried it in my purse all that time. The plating is beginning to wear through but the finish on the wood is unmarred and still shiny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom