What about Bear Tooth?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In a different, smaller forum, I did a couple surveys related to vendors. The forum closed before I had the opportunity to use the information but I WAS surprised at the feedback.

So, I am opening the subject here: Tell us about your experiences with Bear Tooth Woods and Ernie (another small company, where the owner IS the COMPANY.

I have recommended SEVERAL people to this company, I encourage them to post their experiences.

Personally, I have ordered maybe half a dozen times, total a couple thousand dollars. I have had NO problems.

So, does this mean they have lousy customer service OR does it mean they process the orders correctly, the FIRST time???

PLEASE give feedback, so our newer members can see what we all think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Been a while since my last purchase but no problems with Ernie (just like ArizonaSilhouette).

With both companies, you almost don't need any AFTER sales customer service since they get it right the first time. That is my experience.

wudnhed

I really like Ernie. I have ordered from him several times and love the service. His site is easy to navigate also, try to get in on his specials when I can. I like the fact that he sends out little messages telling us what goes on special and other info. Great site!

NavyDiver

I purchase regularly from Ernie and his customer service is exemplary. If I ever have a question, he is easy to reach by phone. I would highly recommend Bear Tooth Woods to anyone!

kent4Him

I've had good service from Ernie. I disagree with Becca though, I don't care for there web site all that much. I find it hard to find things at times.

pipeyeti

Ernie is great. I have ordered a few times. On the first order he sent a wrong kit ( actually 10 of them) but as soon as I called him he was not only sorry but got me the right kits the next day. He also covered postage back on the incorrect ones. I called him a few weeks ago wth an order, I needed 100 boxes that he carries and he gave me a great price but told me that he would have to order them as he didn't have enough in stock. He called me and actually lowered the agreed on price again after he recieved his order because he realized he had a little more room on the pricing. That is service. We all make mistakes. I don't think I have ordered from a company that hasn't made one sooner or later. Its how they handle the problems, that counts with me.

Gary Max

I have never talked to the guy---ordered a few items and his shipping was fast--since he hasn't screwed any of my orders up I don't have any ideal how he handles mistakes. As far as I am concerened he's a stand up kinda guy.

karlkuehn

Banned
Can't sing enough praises about Ernie. He is my favorite and most frequented vendor, and most of the pens I make are from his kits, with the occasional Baron, Jr Gent, or Slimline being the exception. His website is really well built and organized, and his customer service is beyond perfect. His shipping is also stellar; I'm not sure if we're just on some direct connect in the postage line or what, but I can order at 6 p.m., and a day and a half later, the stuff shows up all the way out here on my doorstep.

I LOVE his persisting shopping cart, because I can log in to my account, add a few items to my cart and leave, and when I come back and log in again, my stuff's still waiting in the cart. Saves me from having to keep track of an evolving shopping list.

Now, if he had a few more styles of pen kits (wink wink Ernie!)[:p], I'd be in heaven, but he's got a really good selection even as it stands.

Like Becca, I like his occasional emailings about specials and updates on new products. His two-tone Sierra stuff was really cool, and I like that he experiments around with stuff! :D

alamocdc

Although it's been a while, I buy from Ernie regularly. Great customer service and great folks! Ernie is my go to guy for Berea kits. Any Berea kit he doesn't sell, I will no longer turn when I run out of current stock. ;)

Chasper

Bear Tooth is first class in every way, nothing but first rate service and good products. Plus, a few weeks back I emailed them with a stupid question, something I should have measured and checked for myself. They were very helpful, they did the measuring I should have done, and got back to me and I realized my mistake. They may have thought I was an idiot for asking such a dumb question, at least they had good reason to come to that conclusion, but they didn't make me feel like the idiot I was, I'm grateful for that.

I haven't yet made the mistake of asking a dumb question of AS, and their products and service have always been exceptional as well, so I have nothing but good things to same about them either.

GaryMGg

I've had great service on my meager orders from Ernie. Never needed his after-the-fact service.
That tells a tale in itself -- I've gotten just as good service on my pittances as Ed's gotten on his large orders. Kudos to Ernie.

Ligget

Bear Tooth Woods are probably the best retailers of pen stuff that I use.

If you email him out of working hours he always responds quickly.

Really easy to use website and shopping cart, always has an eye open for the latest products and platings, large stock of acrylics too.

I can get pen kits etc from him to me in the UK within 7 days using USPS, now that is quick dispatching.:D

winpooh498

Originally posted by alamocdc

Although it's been a while, I buy from Ernie regularly. Great customer service and great folks! Ernie is my go to guy for Berea kits. Any Berea kit he doesn't sell, I will no longer turn when I run out of current stock. ;)

I agree whole heartedly! We have had NO problems with Ernie! Everyone makes mistakes, some of us just handle it better then others. Ernie will continue to get my business! :D:D I wish he could sell some of the kits that I like, but can't get else where. :(

rherrell

I've ALWAYS had great service from Ernie. He'll make a mistake every now and then like ANYBODY would but he takes care of it PROMPTLY and FRIENDLY. He's a good guy to do business with.[8D]

Tanner

I have had great service with Ernie as well. I have ordered several times with no mistakes. I like his specials on the web site and he has a great assortment of blanks. He seems to get the new acrylics before anybody else. I always get a nice personal thank you note as well.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Ernie's great! Great customer service (just check out how many prizes he gave for the IAP birthday bash if you doubt that), and great person all around! He's got five gold stars in my book! He has no problems shipping internationally, either, which gives him an extra giant sixth star! :)

Andrew

jthompson1995

To continue with the kudos for BTW, I've had nothing but great service from Ernie as well. There have been a couple of mistakes, but he has always been very quick and fair resolving any issues. BTW is one of the first places I go when I need kits, great prices and great service.

Verne

I'll proudly second, or third, the kudos for Ernie. Not knowing the man, having never talked to him I still enjoy great service from him.
Vern

BigShed

Have dealt a few times with Ernie and every time he has responded to my emails in a very timely manner.

In addition he shops to Oz (not always the case with US companies who at times think that the world stops at the border), his shipping cost is very reasonable and he tells you on his website (which is very easy to navigate) what is in stock and what isn't.

I have had only one small problem, an out of round 27/64" drill bit. When I reported this back to Ernie he issued a PayPal refund by return email.

That is what I call service and Ernie will continue to get my business.

great12b4ever

Ernie is great to deal with. I have had NO problems, and he will get even more of my business. He responds to e-mails quickly and efficiently, he packages the products well, and, with only one error that was corrected within 4 days, (allowing shipping time) I can't say anything but good about him.

bitshird

Originally posted by kent4Him

I've had good service from Ernie. I disagree with Becca though, I don't care for there web site all that much. I find it hard to find things at times.
I find that navigating Arizona Silhouette's web site is a disaster, I had about 500.00 to spend, and after dealing with the frustration of dealing with their site, I placed the bulk of my order through Ernie.
I find his site to be pretty user friendly, and easy to find different pen kits on, I do wish he carried more styles. I am happy with the prices from both Bear Tooth Wood and Arizona Silhouette, and Bill even tossed in a free PR bottle stopper blank. I just wish his site were easier to get around on after using the cart. [8D][8D][8D]

el_d

I like the way the sites keep track of your order with the whole shopping cart thing that Karl was talking about and your order history. I have ordered from Ernie a Couple of times and have had very good service...

jhs494

Bear Tooth Woods is top notch in my book! The customer service, meaning filling the order, shipping it quick and correct, informing of sales, and letting you know in advance that the sight may be slow or shipping will be held a couple of days due to family business is the kind of service I personally like.
Being a hobby penturner, I am not a huge customer, but he still treats me like I am.
I have also taken the time to rate him on the Members supported links page, as a Top Notch Supplier.
Just my two cents!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I am extremely prejudiced on the subject of Ernie. I have known Ernie since I had no idea which end of a gouge to hold! Ernie has taught me more than I can possibly post here. He and Robin are great friends. When Nancy, my wife, was in Kuwait, Ernie recorded DVD's of her favorite soap opera and other movies. He sent her packages just about weekly, and made us feel like we were doing him a favor.

BTW, Ernie gives great service too!! [:p]:D

I've only bought from Ernie once, after I won one of his certificates at the 2007 MPG... called him and told him what I wanted and that I had the cert... got my order in 3 or 4 days.. perfect customer service. I'm kinda slow on moving pens right now, but when I need more won't hesitate to call him.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by karlkuehn

Can't sing enough praises about Ernie.

Oh Karl you can't sing at all. :D But like you said Ernie has provided great service and his web site does a great job of letting you know when an out of stock item is available agin.

Mike

melogic

Ernie is the best! They get their orders right the first time. I wanted to order some blanks from him that he was out of stock on at the time, he called me a few hours later letting me know he had received some of the blanks and sent them out with my original order. They go out of their way to make sure you get the best service. I love looking at Ernie's site. I have to do it when the wife is not around, she likes Ernie's site as much or more than I do. [:p]:D;)[^]

Texatdurango

When I first started turning pens last year, Ernie was the first vendor I purchased supplies from and when he figured out I was new to turning he called me and spent quite a bit of time walking me through what was what and what did what. If memory serves we had several conversations where he gave me advice on turning and I'll not soon forget that!

The only reason I stopped ordering from him so much was that I took a liking to the Craft Supply line of pens but Ernie is my vendor of choice for all non-Craft Supply kits.

Ernie, you're a class act all the way!

low_48

I have a problem with Ernie, he stopped buying my wood pen blanks for resale! Seems he is out of the raw wood blanks all together. [}:)] Guess I'll have to take up the slack and market them myself. Fiddlesticks!

txbatons

I go to Ernie's site often. He's great to deal with. I think the tipping point is the email that I get telling me of specials or upcoming specials. If nothing else, just hearing that it's snowing or warm and sunny, etc. where he is reminds me that he's a real person running a small business. Glad to send any business I can his way! :D Thumbs way up!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I guess, as a community, we HAVE found someone who pleases MOST of the people, MOST of the time.

I just wondered what this topic would do, compared with the AS topic.

As always, Food for thought as you evaluate the IAP community. Don't be too tough on each other --- we, mostly, "Tell it like it is!!" Good or bad.:D:D:D

Originally posted by ed4copies

I guess, as a community, we HAVE found someone who pleases MOST of the people, MOST of the time.

I just wondered what this topic would do, compared with the AS topic.

As always, Food for thought as you evaluate the IAP community. Don't be too tough on each other --- we, mostly, "Tell it like it is!!" Good or bad.:D:D:D

I know what it's going to do for me, my next order of pens supplies will go to Ernie.

Top Bottom