Wes makes his first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Wes turns 16 tomorrow and his mom said he wanted a pen for his birthday ... Or, if he could, watch me make one .... Or, even better, make one himself. We chose option 3.
Check out some photos from his first attempt at a pen ...

https://goo.gl/photos/MmyP2wWPC6dvFTYK9

I explained to Wes how many start out turning on a mandrel but that I prefer turning between centers. I also told him how I drill on the lathe rather than going out to where my drill press is. He chose a piece of Jarrah and turned it round with my woodchuck pen pro. Once mounted in the collet he drilled the hole, starting off with a center drill. While the five minute epoxy set up, I gave him a quick lesson on how to use the Skew chisel. Wes was a fast learner! I then showed him how to use a barrel trimmer but we quickly switched over to Rick Herrell's offset sanding jig. Wes then turned the blank down close to size with a combination of the Woodchuck Pen Pro and Skew chisel, using special tbc bushings. The final finish turning and sanding was done between centers without any bushings. After cleaning the blank with accelerator, I showed Wes how I do a CA finish. I demonstrated by applying the first coat of thin, then he took over applying two more coats of thin followed by 3 coats of medium. I explained to him that I prefer to apply my CA between centers so that the finish can wrap over the ends of the blank, effectively sealing the wood from moisture. After wet sanding through all the micro mesh pads, the blank was really shinning. A final polishing with Novus 2 followed by PlastX and it was ready to be assembled. I purposely chose a Sierra tube knowing we would have some options at this point. Wes decided he really liked the sleek style of the Virage. I agree. Using another specialty tool from Rick Herrell, Wes finish sanded the ends of the blank and then pressed in the parts to complete the pen. He was very pleased with his results. Hopefully he will join IAP and maybe post a close up of the finished pen ... I think he has caught the pen turning bug.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Teaching can be so satisfying when the student wants to learn. Wish Wes a Happy Birthday and add a hearty pat on the back for job well done.

Lucky2

I'm sorry Lenny, but I think as a teacher I would have to give you a failing grade. With him being such a new turner, you should have taught him to wear some face and lung protection.
By not teaching him that, he will probably not learn to use either devise when turning pens.
Len

Lenny

Your point is taken but other than a brief period where the dust collector didn't get turned on right away, it was running whenever he was turning or sanding. I did suggest a face shield (and should have insisted) but didn't push it as he did have eye protection.

Top Bottom