WE'RE MOVING! OH YEAH!!!!! FINALLY.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1JaredSchmidt

We're finally moving to Texas after a couple of years of thinking about it. Texas the best state!

We're moving to Granbury,Texas. It's about an hour Southwest from Ft.Worth,Texas. I hope there's some atv trails around there. We're leaving Tuesday and we're moving to a gated community right outside of Granbury. I hope there's some penturner get togethers or show in Ft.Worth or Dallas.

Is there anybody that lives around Granbury or the Dallas/Ft.Worth area? I have tons more of my spalted maple burl,that colored stuff. Wanna trade?

I can't wait till we move. I love Texas and the Cowboys.:wink:

Anyways,I got tons of wood I need to get rid of,so I hope there's a lot of guys down there. I also need someone to teach me first hand how to do a CA finish or a CA/BLO finish.:eek::cool::biggrin:

el_d

Welcome to Texas Jarad. Im not near the grandbury area but 30 miles south if Austin in lockhart.......if there aint no ATV trails , MAKE SOME......

its_virgil

I travel through Ft. Worth often traveling to my Dad's home south of there. Maybe we can visit when you are settled. Check out http://www.bubbasville.com which meets in North Ft. Worth in Bedford. I attend as often as I can. I will extend you a personal invitation and hope to see you soon. The schedule is posted on the website and we meet twice a month when the mayor of bubasville is in town...one tues evening and one sat morn. About 20 regularly attend.

How much mesquite or osage orange do you need. We can trade for some of that spalted maple and I may know how to apply a CA finish...with or without boiled lineseed oil.

Welcome to Texas.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
We're finally moving to Texas after a couple of years of thinking about it. Texas the best state!

We're moving to Granbury,Texas. It's about an hour Southwest from Ft.Worth,Texas. I hope there's some atv trails around there. We're leaving Tuesday and we're moving to a gated community right outside of Granbury. I hope there's some penturner get togethers or show in Ft.Worth or Dallas.

Is there anybody that lives around Granbury or the Dallas/Ft.Worth area? I have tons more of my spalted maple burl,that colored stuff. Wanna trade?

I can't wait till we move. I love Texas and the Cowboys.:wink:

Anyways,I got tons of wood I need to get rid of,so I hope there's a lot of guys down there. I also need someone to teach me first hand how to do a CA finish or a CA/BLO finish.:eek::cool::biggrin:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I hope there's some atv trails around there.

WithIN the Longhorn Heaven of Texas, 95% of Texas IS an ATV trail! Watch out for the fresh cowpatties . :biggrin:

Last edited:

Randy_

Rooten Tooten Johnny Wooten lives in Granbury and there are one or two others, I think, as well. There are probably a dozen or more pen crafters who I know of in the DFW area so you won't be lonely.:biggrin:

its_virgil

I think Johnny may live in Glen Rose and works in Cleburne.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Rooten Tooten Johnny Wooten lives in Granbury and there are one or two others, I think, as well. There are probably a dozen or more pen crafters who I know of in the DFW area so you won't be lonely.:biggrin:

Randy_

Upon further review........

Don: I think you are correct. I always get the two G citys confused. They are only about 10 miles apart.

I did an advanced search of the membership list and found two members in Granbury. One of the guys is currently active and the other has never made a post.

Welcome, you will love Granbury. I was born and raised in Fort Worth which is about 40 minutes from you. When you get moved and settled in send me a PM and we can meet some where in Grandbury and do some trading!
Gary Jones

Daniel

Jared, Glad you happy about the move. I think it should be to Reno though. It is pretty lonely here as a penturner and we already have plenty of the Texas variety. Now before any texans get all uppity just remember I don't wear boots or a hat so I can't really know what I am talking about.

td

Banned
Welcome!!

Jared,

Welcome & I hope you really enjoy Granbury. It's a beautiful little town. Downtown is a big sqare filled with shops and such. "Hanks on the Square" is one of the restaurants there. Our band has played there on Sat night before and we have a friend whose band playes pretty regularly there. We are in north Dallas and it takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get there. But the food and atmosphere are great.

I'm casting my own blanks if you're ever interested in trading some of that sp. maple (or anything else you have) for some PR. My wood supply is getting low but I have some decent PR blanks. Bring all that lovely wood on down here to TEXAS!! You already have a family of friends waiting for you!!

1JaredSchmidt

Thanks Guys! I'll keep updating you on the move,but tomorrow morning we're gonna get the semi trailer over to our place. One of our friends from here is going to bring our stuff down. Dad been itching to throw away all of my logs,stumps,(good wood!)and burls. I told him I can trade for it and that seemed to soothe him.

Maybe I can learn how to cast my own blanks from one of you guys. Texas will never be the same Cav! I wonder what I could do to change it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........:confused::biggrin::biggrin:

jwalt191

Jared, Welcome to the lonestar state. It is great here, and there are plenty of true artist here. I live about 45 miles north of Dallas, but we get out west every once in a while. Let me know if you need anything when you are down here, and I'll see you around town.

td

Banned
Speaking of shows Jared, you'll be arriving just in time for SWAT - Southwest Association of Turners - Oct 17-19 in Waco.

http://www.swaturners.org

It's billed as the 2nd largest in the country. You're officially invited!! (okay, everyone is....)

If anyone else from the IAP is planning on going maybe we can have a "meet 'n greet"

Paul in OKC

Hey Jared, if you are coming through Oklahoma City down I-35, let me know, maybe some of us can meet you then, especially if it is around meal time! I guess we could always wave at you from a bridge when you go by, even point you in the right way :bananen_smilies019:

randyrls

Jared; Be careful; If all the penturners move to Texas, there could be an implosion. All those pens in Texas could cause the formation of a black hole. The earth could be swallowed up by PENS!

Seriously, good luck...

Randy_

.....We're leaving Tuesday and we're moving to a gated community right outside of Granbury. I hope there's some penturner get togethers or show in Ft.Worth or Dallas.

Would that be the Hood County Correctional Facility??

Just kidding.:biggrin:

But seriously though, is the gate to protect you from all of the young ladies in Granbury or to protect them from you?:confused::confused::confused:

Randy_

Daniel;.....It is pretty lonely here as a penturner.....[/quote said:
I just looked at the membership list and there are six other Renoites listed. And just a friendly suggestion, Daniel, if you would take a bath more frequently than once a month:eek:, you might have a few more friends!!:wink:

sam

Jared, Another welcome from TEXAS. Please just do us all a favor & be careful on that atv. A friend lost her son about 2 years ago due to an accident on a atv. He was only 19 at the time. Use your head when having fun with it. I beleive we all enjoy having you as part of the family. Sam

1JaredSchmidt

You guys think you are so funny!:rolleyes::biggrin:

Young ladies? What young ladies. Oh,you mean girls. Hah! Me?:eek: Heh!!!:biggrin:

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!

I hope I can stop there Paul. It's up to dad not me.

I haven't bought the atv yet. I hope to though. It's a Yamaha Blaster sport atv.

Daniel you don't take baths?:eek: I hope you don't come to SWAT.:biggrin::biggrin: Jest a leetle joke there. Heh!:biggrin:

Daniel

I just looked at the membership list and there are six other Renoites listed. And just a friendly suggestion, Daniel, if you would take a bath more frequently than once a month:eek:, you might have a few more friends!!:wink:
Yeah I've meat about four of them, that's why they signed up. I meet people at craft fairs etc. One of them is a good friend but sadly is more into collecting pretty rocks (which he is very good at) than pen making although he does still turn one out now and then. Need to track down the other one. :wink:

td

Banned
Did I mention that SWAT was a really BIG Symposium? It is at the Waco Convention Center for 3 days.... they'll have 7 rooms going all three days with demo's all day long. I only thought I was hooked last year until I attended this shindig. Besides the demo's you get to see for 3 days straight..... there is what they call an Instant Gallery. If you think seeing all the photos on this website is a treat...(and they are) Imagine more than 700 woodturners getting together in one place and everybody brings one or two of their very best work..... they put it in a ballroom that fills table after table. It takes you a minimum of an hour and a half (each time you walk into the ballroom) because the artistry overwhelms you. I'll warn you now, only about 5% of the exhibitions are pens. But if you love wood, and skill, and artistry, it is worth it to go. Funds being unavailable.... at least you can visit the photo pages. BTY they do have one day rates.

Haven't had any response yet from anybody else on this website. My woodturning club is an hour east of me (Greenville, TX) and you will be an hour and a half west of me. Still, I hope it peaks your interest. During the event for at least a little while I'll be helping run the video equipment in the room my club is sponsoring.

Take good care,
Terry

MarkHix

Welcome to Texas Jared! I've live here all my life you will love life here.

We do have a couple rules:
1. Close the gates behind you.
2. Say Howdy to your neighbor.
3. Don't shoot towards the house.
4. It doesn't matter what brand...they are all cokes.
5. When folks not as fortunate as you whine and cry about not being Texans or being in Texas, we just politely ignore it.
6. If the selection is beef, chicken or pork, beef is always the right answer.
7. There are 2 schools of thought in Texas: Texas A&M and tu

These will get you started. I can help if you need more.

One last thing.....I think you are the last one out of Wi....turn off the light and close the door.

Daniel

mark, #4 reminded me of when I was little, about 3 or 4 years old. Any time we went out to eat I would order "Coke" and always be disappointed that I never got the clear kind (7-up) I think I was 6 before I learned the difference. In Nevada it should all be called "Soda" but I still call it Coke even though I drink Pepsi.
The University I work at, University of Nevada Reno, Played Texas Tech a few weeks ago. It was just days before Ike hit which I'm sure had everyone distracted. Got to talk to a couple of your boys after the game. I think it was about 1 a.m. Texas time and they all looked like they needed to be carried to the bus. But that casual, friendly Texas air still shone through.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If the restaurant serves Pepsi, i order iced tea...but I was raised on Coke (the drink that is), and Pepsi tastes like it's burning a hole through my throat! :)

By the way, what the heck is up with the iced tea you serve down there...is it just cold tea? I ordered one in ND, and it was bitter as all heck! Ours is sweetened and very dissimilar to yours....I guess each of these would be an acquired taste too eh? Anyone from down there noticed that ours tastes weird??

It's odd how your tastes are dictated by what you grow up on, eh?

Andrew

Edit: and why do I always get the weird look when I order gravy on fries...is there another way to eat them?? :D

Daniel

I was raised on sweet tea, butu I do not have a lot of a sweet tooth. I even refused cake and ice cream when I was real young. i prefer my tea with no sugar at all. Even my wife thinks I'm weird. I actually drink Coke if it is out of a fountain but Pepsi if it out of a can. I let the fizz fade first.

Top Bottom