well s**t

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

I've been needing to turn a pen for a while, I picked the kit and blank a month ago, but needed a 12.5mm drill bit. Got one a couple of weeks ago and them got busy with the holidays.

So, today is the day, went down to the shop, put the chuck on the lathe, put the 12.5mm bit in the jacobs chuck in the tailstock. I then mounted the short blank in the chuck and drilled it, grabbed the longer blank and drilled it.

Oh crap, I forgot to change the bit to the smaller size.

Dag nab it, a beautiful amboyna burl blank wasted. So to the blank shelf and pick another one, finally found one, but not as pretty as the first.

Drilled and glued it up, I'll turn tomorrow.

Lesson learned:
Always drill the smaller size first, you can always open it up, but you can't put it back.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

Don't feel bad I have done that also. Now when I have different size holes on the same pen I cut the blanks to size then make sure which drill goes with each piece I either tape or rubber band the bit and wood together in case I get side tracked by the phone or what ever. Then when I drill I have the reminder to change bits.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Focus Bob, focus.

Misery loves company! Thanks! I am not alone!

Couldn't help but laugh, not at you, but at the times I have done that!

Last edited:

Dale Allen

Bob; If you don't want them I'll take them. I can sleeve the larger hole with some other wood and use them to make a faux cigar pen.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think Dale's suggestion might work ok with your kit too. Just turn a plug the right diameter to snugly fit the 12.5mm hole, glue it in, then drill it with the smaller bit. I think there will be just enough of the outer layer of wood at the tip end to make it work. You can always experiment with some scrap wood to make sure.

jcm71

Another option is to find a highly figured golden amboyna burl blank (or other suitable light colored burl) and make a matching fountain pen and rollerball set. Tip: use the 10.5mm bit. :) They'll sell. DAMHIKT.

Last edited:

tomtedesco

I have never messed up like that. Now, I have this bridge in New York that I would like to sell along with some irrigated land in Florida.

Bikerdad

I must admit, I've never made that mistake. BUT, it's not because I am above making such a mistake. No, it's because I've done very few two drill pens, as in 2 IIRC. Given that I have maybe a 1/2 dozen such kits on hand, I KNOW I'd be likely to make such a mistake, but with OP's cautionary tale to guide me, I will now have a much better chance of avoiding it.

Thanks the tale of woe, if it saves only one other goof from making the goof, then 'tis well shared. :cowboy:

thewishman

Why does it always seem that our VERY BEST blanks are the ones that cause problems. There is a similar problem - you match the grain very carefully to line up perfectly. Then you put the opposite bushings on the pen body.

What a wonderful place this is! We can find people we like that understand our challenges.

Top Bottom