Web site

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doohboy24

just got finished getting web site pretty much up and running. looking for people to check it out and give me opinion's. all would really be appreciated. site is below.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

Very nice, but the first glaring problem is the picture of the pen. It is 800k It needs to be more like 20k. If I was on dial up, I'd be gone in a second. I wouldn't wait for the image to download. This is very important. I also noticed a 3meg image in your e-store.

its_virgil

Writing Instruments not Writing Instrument's, Money Orders not Money Order's, bottle Stoppers not Bottle Stopper's, Personal Checks not Peraonal Check's and New Arrivals not New Arrival's. You have several nouns that should be plural but you made them singular possessive nouns. Minor (to some) mistakes in grammar but with all the work that goes into building a website, grammar errors and spelling errors should be avoided. Correct the typos. There are several. Proper grammar and spelling has something to say about you and your pens. First impressions you know!

Otherwise, your website seems to be coming along very well. Good luck with the venture.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by doohboy24

just got finished getting web site pretty much up and running. looking for people to check it out and give me opinion's. all would really be appreciated. site is below.

rlharding

Chuck, only had a quick eyeball. There are lots of typos and sentences that run - they are too long. The intro to your Junior gent has two typos. The intro to your gallery has two 'at'. In your shipping information I believe the word 'the' is missing just before 'bank'. Your type face changes throughout, even from pen to pen. Some of your pictures are not sharp when made larger.

r:)

doohboy24

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will fix what you guy's have noticed so far. Grammer is a big one here just a country boy here and english classes were an excellent time to sleep. Will start getting more educated peeps to help me out. Photos also a weak point. Trying to get better there also. Please keepthe comments coming though. They really help me.

WWAtty

Looks like a decent draft so far. Fix the spelling/grammar issues the others have pointed out and don't be afraid to experiment with the overall look. Try different fonts, colors, backgrounds. That's what makes the design process fun.

One thing I might point out: consider reducing the file size of your photos. Some of those are several hundred kb in size, which may cause your site to load very slowly for visitors with dial-up access. If your site takes 30 seconds to load, that gives the visitor 30 seconds to think about bailing. You don't want to scare off potential customers. There are some free image utilities out there that you can use to resize photos, such as Irfanview.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Part of why your photos appear fuzzy may be due to you fitting a large image into a small frame or table. The visitor's browser ends up compressing the image to fit the frame, causing it to lose some of its quality. If the website image frame is defined as say, 240 by 320 pixels, resize or crop your photo to those dimensions. The photos shouldn't be more than about 20k-50k or so. If you plan to place numerous images on one page, consider shrinking them to thumbnails, typically about 120 x 160 pixels. You can always link a full-size image to launch when a user clicks the thumbnail.

Web design is kind of a work in progress, and you will find yourself tweaking things a lot.

Cheers.

wudnhed

I think everyone covered everything else. The only other thing I noticed was the finger prints on the chrome of the bottle stopper in the "Gallery":( Good Luck with your site!

negid

Invest in a PO Box. Giving out your personal mailing address is a little bit scary. At least it would be to me.

And of course the possessive nouns stick out.

avbill

There are several things I see that you may want to change:

1. through out your web site you have black font on navy blue background IT IS VERY HARD TO READ !

2. Your photos are a tad under exposed. Thereby you have slightly dark photos -- this does not help in selling your pens. (check your white balance feature on the digital camera.)

3. Several photos are NOT clear. their fuzzy.

4. On several of your thumb-nails in the e-store you need to click twice to see an image close up. At that point the image is bigger than the screen. At the same time one is necessary for some. check the big ben verses jr. gentlemen pages.

5. your e-mail has not work

6. Your font and font size are not the same throught your web site See shipping page

7. Center your text in the care for pen area. Rethink that. Its hard to follow either increase font size for the heading or Go Yellow for the headlines.

The overall design of the web site is good.
the site is easy to move around in.

Bill Daniels
retired photographer

I have written an article about digital photography for this group. My son is editing it this week for me. Once edited I will post.

Top Bottom