to web, or not to web.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The negotiations are nearing a finish, we will soon have new pen blanks available from Europe. Several new offerings: California Dream (the black with teal and orange that I showed months ago), Candy Stripes (four different color choices) as well as the "cats" and some other new stuff.

So, the question is-Do you mind exchanging e-mails when you want to order? Or, should we put up a SMALL website for y'all to order polyresins and possibly some cabochons (dichroic glass and others).

We appreciate all feedback, Dawn wants a website and I will, of course, have to design and get pics and pay for and..... and.... and... (maybe you see the point!)

BUT, I DO want to do what works best for everyone. Thanks!

(insert from Dawn, now she wants to add shopping carts-oh, goody!!!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I wouldent mind the email exchange. Sometimes I even prefer it as I will email a supplier to ask questions. Something creepy about just placing an order with no human interaction. Same reason I dont leave messages on peoples answering machines.

But, a webpage is an easier way to display things rather than just a post somewhere.

its_virgil

Put pictures of blanks and ID#'s in a photo album, <s>either here </s>,Sorry Jeff...not here Ed... create a Y! photo album...Maybe would save the hassel of a new website.
Do a good tur daily!
Don

PenWorks

My first reaction was....if Dawn wants it, let Dawn do it [:)]
But I came back to reality and really don't want to **** off my new cab supplier, so, she allready has enough on her plate. Sounds like you better get busy Ed. [:D]

Oh, I really don't think a full blown web site is really neccessary, until you see some big time increase sales volume. Some pics, prices and an e mail is good enough for me. JHO

Skye

Originally posted by ed4copies

I hate wiseacre kids!!.

Bahahaha, I heard my grandfather use that term once. [:p]

Really, you've got some of the best lookin custom acrylic blanks out there as far as I've seen and they should have a webpage. The problem with not having one is you'll rely on too much word of mouth. I say get some exposure already. Also, I bet a Precious Moments motif would rock! [;)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Skye,

That was in VERY SMALL TYPE, it was supposed to be whispered.

Only very young ears could hear it!!

(Hope you realize, I am probably old enough to BE your grandfather!! So, don't be offended)

gerryr

As long as there are pictures of what they look like, it doesn't matter to me how I would have to place an order. Do what works for you.

Scott

Hi Ed,

If you're bringing these nice new materials to the marketplace, your business will soon make this decision for you. Why not get a jump on it and do it when you have time, rather than later when it's already too late? Make your web page, sell tons of stuff, but remember to come and talk to us occasionally! [8D]

Good Luck!

Scott.

Skye

Lol, I never got the old folk vibe off you. Then again, any buddy of Eagle's........ um, nevermind, he knows where I live [B)]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
A suggestion was made earlier in this topic to use a photo album here or elsewhere to post pics of items for sale. I can't speak for elsewhere, but please don't do that here. I don't want the photo album used as a commercial catalog. Posting the occasional photo there of some item you have for sale is fine, provided you delete the photo after the sale. A dedicated web site was also suggested, and that's the better solution.

Business classifieds and the links sections are good spots for advertising your wares.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jeff,

From time to time I (or others) have posted pens made from the "cats" material that I import. I have then indicated it can be purchased from me by sending me an e-mail.

As you know, I also have always said, the IAP is YOUR house, so if this is objectionable to you, please say so. If not, it is probably ONE of the avenues I will continue to pursue, since many of the people here HAVE sent me e-mails and a LOT more material has been sold than we have seen posted here.

IT IS STILL YOUR HOUSE!!! Let me know if I am being offensive, please!!!

Skye

Not to speak for Jeff, but I would think that's a differnt thing. If you turn a pen yourself, make the pen yourself, then show the pen off, you're basicly showing off your pen. If you can also resell the blanks, it's not really an ad. If you were to just present a picture of a blank and say you could sell them, that would be a misuse.

Again, just my thoughts.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks to everyone here and the few of you who responded privately.

Material should be here in about 2 weeks-was shipped.

Will keep you all informed-believe me, when it comes, I WILL let you know-there is quite a bit, this time.

Lots of choices tho'-I think it will be well received.

[:)][:)][:)]

mrcook4570

One advantage of a website is that you can use it to expand your business by marketing your finished products to other customers. It makes it easy for craft show customers to order more merchandise from you. Then you could always have pen turning items on separate pages that are accessible through a direct link (not through the site's navigation buttons), if you wanted to keep that part isolated from finished product customers.

Plus, it would allow for orders to be placed without the exchange of several emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom