We all know that one guy....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You know, the guy that puts his pen in his pants pocket, front or back doesnt matter, its going to be bad no matter which pocket he puts it in. Im not sure why I.... er I mean he does it. The pen has a clip, its a nice clip and works like it should. But No.... He has to put it in his back pocket next to his wallet and then ..... SNAP!!!! ...??? WHAT??? Ohhh crap not again.
attachment.php

Seriously You couldnt use the clip on the pen to hold it on.

attachment.php

Fortunately its a practice piece I made from parts that I wanted to see how they looked on a pen and not one of my really good ones. It is one of my desk/shop pens but still....
It was a really clean break and the burl pattern helps hide the crack. The next picture shows it put back together without glue. You can still see the crack.
attachment.php

I used some medium glue and put it back together.
I can tell where it is and if I show someone they could probably find it again but I can find it easier by feeling for the glue line. Its rougher than the rest of the finish.
I actually made the pen body in the late 90s. Its built around a slimline tranny. The lower nose cone has a 7/32 brass tube from K&S that has a 3/16 inside diameter. its only about .400 inches long. THe upper parts use a reg. 7mm tube. The one the tranny is pressed into is cut about in half. Its has a poly wipe on finish on it. I had not even heard of CA Finishes when I made the pen body. I ran across it a couple of months ago in a box of stuff and put some misc. hardware on it to complete it.

The sad part is I probably still, whoops, I mean he hasnt learned his lesson and its bound to happen again.

Im not to sure what Im going to do with that Guy.:biggrin:

Attachments

• 20180201_200754.jpg
    20180201_200754.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 20180201_200810.jpg
    20180201_200810.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 20180201_200832.jpg
    20180201_200832.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

He should buy the maker another fancy-pants metal lathe so the maker can mill a more suitable and stronger tube for the lower barrel.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
He should buy the maker another fancy-pants metal lathe so the maker can mill a more suitable and stronger tube for the lower barrel.

If he is really nice to the maker, he will beg, BEG for a custom case (Metal, duh...) to put said beautiful pen in so he can sit on it AGAIN! :rolleyes:

magpens

And you say that was one of your "not so nice" blanks ?? . Would've been "choice" for most turners.

Sacrilege to treat it like that, knowing you were going to sit on it !

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I think my friend,:rolleyes:, has washed a pen or two as well.
I really liked the overall design of this pen. the lower body is about 2 1/2 long. The nose cone isnt quite 1/2 inch long and the tranny is pushed in fairly deep since that length doesnt change. I need to clean up the cap and the center band was intended to have stones set in it, although it could be filled with Precious Resin,(quoting Mont Blanc here) and polished up for a colorful ring inlayed in it. The clip, cap and center band have no design elements in common and it looks off when you see it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I think my friend,:rolleyes:, has washed a pen or two as well.
I really liked the overall design of this pen. the lower body is about 2 1/2 long. The nose cone isnt quite 1/2 inch long and the tranny is pushed in fairly deep since that length doesnt change. I need to clean up the cap and the center band was intended to have stones set in it, although it could be filled with Precious Resin,(quoting Mont Blanc here) and polished up for a colorful ring inlayed in it. The clip, cap and center band have no design elements in common and it looks off when you see it.

So, ya gotta a challenge (after the BASH chores are done!).

It is a worthwhile project!

raar25

Looks like the brass tube was too short so it couldn't take normal abuse. I keep pens in my pocket all weekend when I have a sweatshirt on.

Gregory Hardy

You know...I suspect that you get a better price break on silver parts than most people. I'd be glad to send you some longer brass tubes, Mike. (Maybe I can send you a belt-mounted pen pouch. Everyone will know you're a pen geek then, but it just seems safer for your equipment!) I envy your "spare parts" box!

More4dan

Here is one you, I mean your "friend" can safely use in his back pocket. No annoying clip to get in the way.

733eed8abee593e98cacc74e8fa6b3da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

But while he can store it in his pocket I don't think this is the best place to store a pen like this. A little bump and ZAP KAPOW!!!!!!!!!!

Would cure you of carrying it in the wrong place.

It's kinda like the best cure for chapped lips. Horse manure. Doesn't really moisturize your lips but will sure stop you from licking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Curly

Something else you could consider is a learning pen for him. If he puts one of these in his pants pocket he will learn not to in short order. :eek: Not going to work if he in into pain though.:wink:

Attachments

• Hard to write with. 018.jpg
    Hard to write with. 018.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Sawgar.jpg
    Sawgar.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 112
Top Bottom