Waterslide decal paper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

Not sure where this goes, so let's try the casual way :)
I am looking at getting started with applying logos to pens (possible business with a real estate agent acquaintance) and since colors are needed then decal paper seems the way to go. I am planning to print using a laser printer and there seem to be quite a few options from different vendors. Brief questions: Are all these papers created equal? If you have found that some are better than others, please share your favorite brand.
Thank you!
Fred

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

I have used the Testors Decal Paper from Hobby Lobby.
I print the decal. Let it set overnight
I spray with Krylon Non-yellowing Clear Gloss
Let it set overnight.
Another coat of Krylon
Let it set overnight.
Apply to the pen blank.
Let it set overnight.
Coat with 6 coats of CA.
Let it set overnight.

Dave Turner

I have limited experience with decals, but the few times I tried it, it worked very nicely. I used Blinggasm Waterslide Decal Paper from Amazon and pretty much the same technique that Larry specified. It's most cost effective to print an entire sheet of decals at once. Then a couple coats of Krylon Clear Acrylic Coating Spray to fix the ink onto the decal sheet. Then cut up the individual decals and water slide them to your blanks. I messed around with some Micro Sol Setting solution, but am not sure it really made any difference. Once dried onto the blank, I put multiple coats of CA over it until the decal "disappeared" into the CA. It came out really nice.

Rick_G

I've only used the lazertran paper, couldn't find any other around here. It's ok but it seems like a little more work than some of the others. Print it and then if applying to wood you soak the area where the decal is going with real turpentine it then drys with a white background. To get a clear background you cover with an oil based poly and the white turns clear. If I am doing pens I then put my normal CA finish on.

paulloseby

Leicester, Not applicable, United Kingdom.
Laser waterslide decal paper white

I've been printing decals on pens for a couple of years now and the paper I like best is the Laserjet Waterslide Decal Paper/White from Dr. Decal and Mr. Hyde in Australia. Trouble is that it costs an arm and a leg in shipping.

The paper has text on the back of the sheets - picture attached. Does anyone know who makes it (preferably with a store in the UK)?

Very many thanks

Paul

Attachments

• Decal paper.jpg
    Decal paper.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 197

Fred Bruche

I tried a couple different papers (can't remember the vendor or brand but both from Amazon), my experience is that spraying with the non-yellowing clear gloss Krylon makes a much bigger difference than the paper itself! I found that not only the Krylon helps protect the ink printed motif but it seems to "rigidify" the decal paper, making it slide more easily off the backing paper with much-diminished tendency to warp and fold on itself.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Sorry I didn't look at the date this thread was posted, when I was looking for paper in a search, this one came up. Thanks for the info on the Krylon.

Top Bottom