Waterfowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Now you might disbelieve me, but I am not a birding enthusiast. Bird photography is my Father's hobby, however, so when I visited my parents in Florida over the holidays, we spent a few mornings at the local wetlands. Here are some of the pics I snapped of the local wildlife.

The Great Blue Herons were nesting, which means that the males were flying back and forth bringing building material to their mates. I liked the heart-shape that formed when this guy presented a stick to his lady-friend, so I call this picture "love birds".

attachment.php

There were a lot of Little Blue Herons in the area too - many more than I have seen in previous years. Here's a shot of one in flight.

attachment.php

I'm told that the Black-Crowned Night Heron is the most widespread heron in the country, but you don't see them as much because they forage at night. They typically sleep (tucked away in trees) during the day. I was lucky to catch this juvenile Night Heron flying in the daylight.

attachment.php

There seemed to be more Great Egrets present than any other bird, and I took quite a few photos of them. Here is one in flight.

attachment.php

And here is another having breakfast.

attachment.php

The Double-Crested Cormorant is a gangly, awkward looking, noisy bird that some of the locals refer to as "rats with wings". They're not particularly photogenic, but I like the reflection this one made as it flew low over the water.

attachment.php

The Boat-Tailed Grackle is also very common, and generally unremarkable, but I think the photo of one taking a bath is interesting.

attachment.php

A dozen or more White Ibises all flew into the same area (along with the Great Egrets) at the same time. I got better flight shots of individual birds, but I like how these two are flying in sync.

attachment.php

I missed a flock of Roseate Spoonbills (they took off just as I was walking up), but did manage to get a few pictures of one that flew by later. Here's one.

attachment.php

My favorite picture of the trip, however, is this one of a Sandhill Crane. The colors came out a little unusual because of the ambient light (normally they look more brown than blue), but I think it's the most dramatic photo of the bunch.

attachment.php

I did photograph some things besides just birds. This is a Common Water Hyacinth covered in dewdrops.

attachment.php

Milkweed plants seem to be in vogue this year. People are growing them in hopes of attracting butterflies. Caterpillars had eaten the plants nearly bare and Monarch butterflies were emerging from crysalises. They have to wait for their wings to unfurl and dry before they can fly and I came across this one in the middle of that process.

attachment.php

I hope you enjoy the pics and that they help take your mind off the winter weather.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• GreatBlueHerons.jpg
    GreatBlueHerons.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 403
  • LittleBlueHeron.jpg
    LittleBlueHeron.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 380
  • NightHeron.jpg
    NightHeron.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 377
  • GreatEgret.jpg
    GreatEgret.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 385
  • GreatEgretWithFish.jpg
    GreatEgretWithFish.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Cormorant.jpg
    Cormorant.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 375
  • GrackleBathing.jpg
    GrackleBathing.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 378
  • WhiteIbises.jpg
    WhiteIbises.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 378
  • RoseatteSpoonbill.jpg
    RoseatteSpoonbill.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 379
  • SandhillCrane.jpg
    SandhillCrane.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 376
  • WaterHyacinth.jpg
    WaterHyacinth.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 386
  • MonarchEmerging.jpg
    MonarchEmerging.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 397
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Excellent photos. However, I would say that the pictures would have some fowl language there. :tongue: The reflection photo is one that is "the right place, the right time."
Another example that comes to mind is one of my grandson while paying baseball in high school. He was catcher and had to jump high to catch a ball. The photo showed him in midair and tagging the runner at home. Made the newspaper.

Sylvanite

I would say that the pictures would have some fowl language there. :tongue: The reflection photo is one that is "the right place, the right time."

Well, in terms of timing and fowl language:

attachment.php

A few minutes after I had taken the photo on the left, I looked back at the Great Blue Heron from a slightly different angle. At that moment, a Cormorant flew up as if to land on the same perch. Just as the Heron screeched, I snapped the pic on the right.

So yes, I happened to be watching the right place at the right time.

Thanks for looking,
Eric

Attachments

• HeronAndCormorant.jpg
    HeronAndCormorant.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 321

thewishman

Love them all! The reflection is my favorite, the grackle bathing is a close second. I don't care much for grackles, but the iridescence of their heads is beautiful.

Being in the "right place at the right time" has a lot to do with waiting and waiting (and waiting) for the right moment. Looks like wintering in Florida suits the birds as much as the retirees.:)

Top Bottom