A warning for those using PayPal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I sold some old books and study guides on eBay recently. One of my buyers was a woman who apparently also goes by the name APlusAuctions on eBay. I sent her a set of study guides that had a retail value of $125, but for which she paid $49.50. As per the terms of the auction, I mailed them out Priority Mail. However, because of some confusion around the beginning of the year, I purchased the postage from the post office directly rather than using PayPal's services or online via the USPS. I didn't add a tracking number because of the extra cost, and the person didn't pay for a tracking number. Now that she's (presumably) received the tapes, she has challenged the payment with PayPal, saying she never received them. PayPal came to me and told me she was challenging, and asked for a tracking number as the ONLY way to prove that I shipped it. Since I didn't get a tracking number, she's now getting her money back. So, she's getting to keep the money AND my tapes!

My word of warning to you: Be careful what you do, and ALWAYS get a tracking number if you're going to sell stuff and take payment via PayPal!!! This includes non-eBay sales too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Whether I sell via paypal or any other means I ALWAYS get a tracking number on all my shipments... it just makes sense... if paying for Flat Rate Priority Mail online you automatically get one for free... if you go to the PO, you need to remember to ask for tracking and pay the fee... it is not all that much and well worth the peace of mind...
HOWEVER, it is not really a tracking device... it will not tell you where your shipment is like UPS.. it only tells you that it has been shipped and when it was delivered. If you need to really have confirmation of delivery, pay the little extra for signature verification of your delivery. I have heard of paypal reversing payment even if the shipper has a PO tracking number that shows delivery.

ryannmphs

Yup, unfortunatly in this day and age it's always a case of C.Y.A.

I had a lady last year that I bought a wireless router from. She received the PayPal notice and said she was "on her way to the PO" Well after 2 weeks I emailed for the status. Conveniently the package was just returned to her that day due to not enough postage. AFter another 2 weeks of no package, she stated that she had forgotten to ship it, she was "on her way to the PO" to mail it. 2 weeks later I filed a complaint with PayPal. She claimed she did mail it (and I asked for PM with the tracking number) but could not find the tracking number. In the end she gave the money back, but asked that I return the item if it showed up. It never has.

Ryan

Ryan

Due to the business that I am in I have handled more than my fair share of chargebacks. My company has yet to win one of them. The money always goes back to the card holder.

Sorry for your loss.

Ryan

Fangar

I agree. However, I have learned that I can trust each and every person on this site that has purchased my pin chucks. I have sent them all out USPS first class mail with 0% loss. The key factor here is that we have a great group of guys and gals that I can trust. Otherwise, I would have to raise the price of the pin chucks 4 bucks just to cover the shipping. That would suck.

In an ebay world... Tracking for sure.

Incidentally, I can't stand paypal much anymore. If I do another run of the pin chucks, they will likely be Check or MO only. I can't take the nearly 1 dollar a chuck hit, when I would rather have the customer keep the buck.

Fangar

thetalbott4

James-
Keep in mind the time factor for the customer like me who would rather pay the extra buck and avoid a week delay in checks getting to the destination and being cleared. not only that, but then you introduce another opportunity for the USPS to lose the check or MO. You really should tell people that if they pay by paypal, it will be extra for the fees. That is reasonable.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />James-
Keep in mind the time factor for the customer like me who would rather pay the extra buck and avoid a week delay in checks getting to the destination and being cleared. not only that, but then you introduce another opportunity for the USPS to lose the check or MO. You really should tell people that if they pay by paypal, it will be extra for the fees. That is reasonable.
I agree. Give your customer a choice and tell them about the additional cost. To me it is worth the extra buck or two to get it a week or so faster.

Randy_

My step-daughter does a lot of selling on eBay and coincidently, we were just talking about this situation not too long ago. Unfortunately, since it didn't directly apply to me, I only paid partial attention to what she told me and don't remember the details. But her message was essentially that the seller is at the mercy of the buyer, unless the seller has "bullet-proof" proof that the package was sent and the information "HAS" to be on the Internet for verification. One of those little 45¢ delivery confirmation things won't get it. There was also something about actually going to the post office to drop off the package rather than paying the fee on line and dropping the package in the mail box. Sorry I don't remember all of the details.

Best thing to do is contact PayPal and be sure you "FULLY" understand what you need to do as a shipper to protect your self. Then decide how much you can afford to "eat" and spend the extra money on those packages that you aren't willing to risk losing.

And just a final note.......stuff does happen. I did have one order..... BOW as it happens.....that was just plain lost.....never did show up; but they were very quick to replace it. And recently I sent a Priority package from Dallas to Ohio and it took over a week to get there!!

myname1960

Jim,

I am only a buyer on eBay but here is my .02 worth tossed in. If you add in your payment description that tracking is required by the buyer then the buyer has the choice to bid or not on the auction using your quidelines. You may not get a few bids but at least if someone bids its in black and white so there is no problem.

Like i said its only my .02 worth, no more and no less. And by the way i have a rating of 180 positives ( with a total of 223 positives on eBay ) with no negatives and no neutrals so not all buyers act this way. Take care,

Chris

TomServo

Jim: you can learn from an ebay scam of this sort - send a letter with tracking, and put that tracking number in if you're sure she got the package. The actual scam is based on needing a tracking number to refund the item - someone sends back an empty box with a tracking number.

Randy_

Must be a little too early in the morning or too late at night depending on your point of view; but I don't quite get what you are suggesting and secondly, how do you "KNOW" whether someone really got a package or not? There have been a nunber posts about packages being delivered to the wrong house or stolen from a mail box or delivered to the wrong office at a business address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom