WARNING---SCAM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jallan

Just got an e-mail from a person called Fred Parker who wanted to buy one of my high dollar pens from my web site. He stated that he will pay via Pay Pal as he is out to sea and cannot get to his bank account.( First RED Flag). He also stated that he will send someone over to pick the pen up and I told him I do not do pick-up mail only but he again stated that he would send someone to pick up the pen ( Second RED Flag). He also kept asking the condition of the pen and if I was the owner even after I stated to him that I make all my pens and they are new( Third RED Flag). From reading his e-mail you could tell there was something just not right as he didn't make any sense in some of his wording. Just like when you get an e-mail stating that you have 10 million dollars to be shipped to you . He also wanted my pay pal account which is on my wed site and he wanted my full name and complete address. PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Loucurr

When the hair on the back of your neck is raised it would be wise to listen...thanks for sharing.

TonyL

Wednesday, my father received a call that his grandson was in jail (my son), and needed 8k to get him out. During that call, my wife was texting to my son - exchanging pleasantries.. The "person" calling my dad, knew some of my son's friends' names and said that the police confiscated his phone. This fool scared all of us. These guys are become more sophisticated.

chartle

I've heard of this type of scam targeting small businesses from sign making, sort of my business, to Morticians though it usually involves you sending the items using some odd shipping company you have to pay and the "customer" using a stolen credit card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRUTup6bS6g

Last edited:

jttheclockman

It really is getting scary and you need to be on your toes all the time. It just worse when you get older and the family dwindles because you become more vulnerable What a society we have become in more ways than one.

WriteON

He also wanted my pay pal account which is on my wed site and he wanted my full name and complete address. PLEASE BE CAREFUL
I'm undercutting....I'll do it for 5miiion....
Wednesday, my father received a call that his grandson was in jail

I got a call from my grandson...starts out Grandpa?... I answer Is that you sonny boy. Anyway the caller was not very convincing..... I don't have any kids:biggrin::biggrin:

Woodchipper

The best one was in London, England. A men's shop would look at the obituaries and send a bill for an umbrella to the family, saying the person had bought the umbrella on credit and hadn't paid. They were caught when the deceased had been bedridden for years.

sbwertz

Wednesday, my father received a call that his grandson was in jail (my son), and needed 8k to get him out. During that call, my wife was texting to my son - exchanging pleasantries.. The "person" calling my dad, knew some of my son's friends' names and said that the police confiscated his phone. This fool scared all of us. These guys are become more sophisticated.

I got one of these calls once. Grandma, I'm in jail and need money

Since my oldest grandson wasn't old enough to drive at that point, I didn't bite, but played him along for a while just for fun.

Herb G

About 3-4 years ago, my Uncle called me like 5-6 times in one day.
Since I wasn't here, he left messages for me to call him right away.
Someone had called him, saying they were me, but called him Grandpa instead, saying they were in an accident & needed $5000 to keep from going to jail.
He asked them my mother's middle name & they couldn't answer it & hung up.

Now, how they got his name & number & my name I'll never know.

I had an email yesterday morning from "Amazon" confirming my order from a company called "RedBubble" and they would confirm shipment as soon as I remitted my payment of $182.... never heard of Redbubble, never ordered from them... I contacted Amazon's anti spoof department and reported it... Amazon confirmed it was a spoof.

If you order from Amazon, another scam to watch out for.

BKind2Anmls

And don't forget, a computer company (Microsoft, Apple, etc.) will never call you and tell you there is a problem with your computer. It is always a scam. As is the popup you get on your screen telling you that you have been infected and you need to call this number or click on this website.

Here is how I handle scam phone calls:

Scammer: "Hello, this is Microsoft, we have been tracking a virus..."

Me: "Excuse me. May I ask you a question."

Scammer: "Of course, ma'm."

Me: "Do you believe in God?"

Scammer: "Uh....yeah?"

Me: "Do you think he likes you scamming people? Are you worried about where you are going to end up when you die?"

Scammer: Click

sbwertz

I usually say "you do realize you are talking to a professional computer consultant, don't you? Click.

More4dan

I've introduced myself as being with the federal cyber crime division, didn't even slow them down. They were that clueless. I spent the next 5 minutes reminding them how stupid they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Herb G

I used to get spam/scam callers all the time...until I started answering the phone in a fake Chinese accent.
I'd say "Hu Fong Chinee Ressarant".
(My wife is Chinese & she thinks it's hilarious to all the naysayers out there.)
Then I'd say "YOU ORDER NOW!!!"
After 2-3 times, they musta thought it was a real Chinese restaurant & quit calling.

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Shock me

i feign great interest then claim I need to go turn the stove off, put the dog out or whatever, will they hold a minute? Then I go about my business and see how long it takes them to give up. Some have remarkable patience. These people have heard every insult you can imagine and couldnt care less, but waste their time and now youve hurt them...

keithncsu

Same thing happened to my elderly aunt several years ago regarding my brother. He had just enough of a checkered past that she believed the story and wired the money. Nothing anyone could do about it.

randyrls

You want amusement, go to YouTube and search for "james Veitch". He rakes the scammers over the coals!

Also If I get a phishing email and in a nasty mood, I unleash my script on them. I just opens the form, fills in random information, and clicks submit. It then sleeps for between 5 and 30 seconds and repeats. I figure I'm helping the people who genuinely fall for this trash. Oh, I spoof the IP too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom