Warning, burning wood with electricity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I believe the AAW has banned information on this technique from its publications and workshops. I believe they have also informed local chapters that insurance through AAW will not cover injuries or damage at clubs caused by doing this.

Our local club has one or two members that have don't it but not at any club function. They have brought in pieces that have done it on.

tomtedesco

Clubs here in Colorado have done demos on this before the AAW issued its statement without any problems. There is some discussion about the equipment the person was using being the cause of the accident. I have never used this device so I am just passing on info from people that have used it. If a piece of wood flew off a lathe and killed the turner would the AAW ban the use of lathes?

duncsuss

It's true that everything has risks. The difference is that the risks when turning are (to a large extent) understood and there are known safety measures to mitigate those risks.

High-voltage wood-burning has different risks, and the risks magnify when the people using it don't understand electricity and the hazards associated with it. The fact that some folk have done it and lived to tell the tale doesn't mean it's safe.

tomtedesco

It's true that everything has risks. The difference is that the risks when turning are (to a large extent) understood and there are known safety measures to mitigate those risks.

High-voltage wood-burning has different risks, and the risks magnify when the people using it don't understand electricity and the hazards associated with it. The fact that some folk have done it and lived to tell the tale doesn't mean it's safe.

I am not debating the safety of this or any other undertaking, as I said I have never done it. I am questioning the AAW banning something without really knowing what was done in this tragic incident. There are far too many organizations trying to protect me from everything in the world. They could have explained what happened and what materials were used and what went wrong and allow me to decide if I want to take the risk. If I decide to use electricity or a lathe for something it is my job to find out what works or does not work, I don't need someone else saying I can't do it.

Talltim

I do not believe AAW is saying you cannot do it. They are saying we will not cover you if you do it and please do not promote it though our organization.

In the litigious society we live in, I understand their point of view.

duncsuss

I am questioning the AAW banning something without really knowing what was done in this tragic incident.

I believe that you have misunderstood the AAW position on it. Of course they cannot ban it, they aren't lawmakers, and they cannot prevent you from doing any fool thing you decide you're going to do.

What they can do (and have done) is tell turning clubs which are Chapters of the AAW not to have people demonstrate or encourage it. Further, they have stated that it is an activity that invalidates the AAW group insurance policy (which many Chapters purchase).

That's all.

duncsuss

I do not believe AAW is saying you cannot do it. They are saying we will not cover you if you do it and please do not promote it though our organization.

In the litigious society we live in, I understand their point of view.

Exactly -- you type faster than me :biggrin:

CREID

Thanks for the responses, I had no idea that the AAW had even taken a stance on this method. Even from the first time I seen this done, I think by Carl Jacobson, I thought. Wow, that is cool, but it looks very dangerous. Sadly it turned out that way for one person. I have watched several videos of this fractal burning and I have seen what appears to be a commercially made or at least something someone put a lot of thought into and I have also seen in a video someone who made there own homemade model. I think this is something I personally will leave alone for now.

KenV

Curt, the AAW impetus was a fatility in the US and an evaluation of risks by some knowledgable people. This fatility in Great Britian is another life lost.

There are still those who appear to try hard to win the Darwin Award, and do not need extra encouragement.

Charlie_W

Top Bottom