At war with Australian Pine. Not winning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

After that fiasco with the PVC my daughter chose a new blank for her pen. A big honkin' piece of Australian pine. First off, the word "pine" is very misleading. This stuff is hard as a dang brick. For me at least, when I think "pine", I think of a very soft wood. I know that's not how it works, but anyway...
Drilling it left plenty of smoke (that's my fault, I guess). By this point, I would only consider using my Pen Pro on this log. Ken's tool was able to slay this dragon but it still took some trying. Just when I thought the hard part was over, I put the CA finish on. I've put a CA finish on dozens of pens and this is the first one that's turned white. Alright, white flag. Tomorrow I'll sand off the finish and try again. Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

I have no idea, Scott. I went through my usual routine but I suppose it's possible I burned through it with the MM. I've never burned through a finish with micromesh before but I guess there's a first time for everything.

bitshird

Brian, That's probably Huon Pine, And No it's not like our pine, the stuff will be somewhere around 2000 to 3000 years old, Extremely slow growing, has very very thin growth rings, but should leave a rel nice smell in your shop.
Not sure why the CA turned white though, it normally isn't really oily.
If you think the Pine is different, try some McKay Cedar, it's an incredible wood. You might want to go over and register on the Aussie site, http://www.woodworkforums.com/ and register for the Australia Day Pen Swap, they are some of the fellows on here and some that don't get up on the IAP much, but their swaps are fantastic, plus we always send some timber back and forth.

nava1uni

If you go to the Australia wood forum you could ask them for more information about the wood and how they finish it. If it is that hard maybe you don't need a CA finish. I don't use CA as a finish on lots of pens so that the wood can show through and on lots of hard woods they don't need it.

Drstrangefart

Can you turn a pen from PVC?

Yeah! I find it pretty friendly stuff! Here's two:

307375_228612273865512_100001502242963_617021_1773883750_n.jpg

253459_174700699256670_100001502242963_438204_2422843_n.jpg

Just remember to CUT the ribbons off when they wrap around the mandrel. They are REALLY tough and can seriously cut your hand up.

Sawdust Maker

Australian Pine?

Gidday

I'm wondering what Australian Pine is? Can't think of anything we call Australian Pine
do you have a photo?

Huon Pine is softish and smells great

KBs Pensnmore

Huon Pine

Its wood has a rich golden colour and a distinct perfume. It is very forgiving to work across the woodworking disciplines, from turning, veneer/inlay to cabinet making. While care may be needed in finishing due to its inherent oiliness, it produces a high lustre. Bird-seye and figured Huon pine are the most coveted features producing intense lustre in the grain patterns.
Taken from Island Specialty timbers website
Kryn

nativewooder

With all due respect to Ken, it definitely is not Huon Pine. The Australian Pine in Florida is Casuarina Equisetifolia. According to Google, in Australia it is referred to as River Sheoak. When green it is reasonable to work but as it ages and dries it can become a monster. I harvested an old stump after the hurricanes of 2004 and eventually threw almost of it all in the dumpster. It takes very sharp tools and a lot of patience to turn it. I have a feeling that at this time the wood is too cold for the CA.

snyiper

Could it be possible it may be to wet for CA? Is wood hydroscopic to the point dried wood can collect moisture if left in the wrong enviroment?

Top Bottom