Wanting to learn to cast my own pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BillyBoy63

Hey Everybody
I have been watching a few videos on casting pen blanks.
I would like to get started in casting my own blanks can anyone
help point me un the right direction ?
1. pressure pot were to buy a good one better then harbor freight
2.making molds out of HDPE how thick or were to buy good ones
3.What kind of a scale to use for mixing Alumilite
4.can you clean the mixing cups and reuse
5.what will all this cost to get started making Alumilite blanks
If you want to send me a message to talk about this that would fine
Thanks
BillyBoy63

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

I can answer several of your questions.

2. You can get a large hdpe cutting board at Sam's Club for under $10.00. You will need some screws, about #6 X 1.
3. I use the large digital scall from harbor freight. Cost is less than $30.00
4. Just buy a package of eight once clear plastic cups from dollar tree and throw away after use.
5. Depending on your pressure pot cost, you can get started for around $50.00 plus the pressure pot. I made mine from parts got at Harbor Freight and it will hold 60 pounds of pressure with no problems for over an hour. That being said, you can probably get by with 50 pounds.
Also, you will have to add in the cost of the Alumilite. I bought a one gallon of clear slow, which will yield 2 gallons mixed. You get one gallon of part A and one of part B.

Read the instructions on how to calculate the amount required on Alumilite.com and divide by 2. That will give you the amount of A and B. Ensure that you mix thoroughly before you add you dyes. The best dyes are made by Alumilite and a litttle bit goes a long way. The clear alumilite runs $160.00 a gallon, and the dyes run about 5 to 6 dollars each, or you can get an assortment for a higher price but less than the individual bottles.

dogcatcher

I started with the HDPE. After reading some tutorials on the various resin suppliers, I quickly went to making my own silicone molds. It is really nice to have 3/4" diameter blanks that I can drill using my collet chuck.

Top Bottom