Want to help a dog , but can't have one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Yes, its out there all the time.

"If you want to save a life, adopt a dog (or cat)."

But not everyone can have a pet. Maybe your place won't allow it, maybe your work life doesn't allow the time, maybe someone in the house is allergic, etc. So what do you do to help, but not commit yourself to a long term responsibility?

I have an answer. Become part of the Doggie (or Kittie) railroad as I call it.

What does that mean?

It means helping pets get from a shelter or worse situation, to a rescue where they will be cared for and find a new home.

How?

By transporting the critter from A to B. Many times in a chain that can be hundreds of miles long.

Okay, sounds reasonable, but how do I get involved?

Contact rescues in your area and let them know that you are willing to help transport critters through the area. They will add you to a list and when the need arises, they will contact you and see if you are available. You set up your own rules on how far, and when.

Rewards? The look in the eyes of a pup saying "thanks for getting me out of there". Knowing that a better life is ahead of them. and seeing the resulting pics when he gets to a foster home that showers them with love.

Most of you know that Lillian and I have rescued an entire pack of dogs. And yet we are always trying to help more. I'll be carrying my 6th Doggie Railroad passenger tomorrow. Another Siberian who is heading for a better life. I usually get a call once a year and am always glad to help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Fantastic idea to know about. And congratulations to you and for helping the animals. It is indeed very rewarding to look at an animal and see the relief in their eyes after you have helped them to get out of a dreadful situation.

Congratulations again!

Davej_07

Kudos to th two of you! My wife and I run Allsaints st. Bernard rescue in Milwaukee, WI and it's folks like you that make it possible for us to save the dogs we can!!

Dave

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
We are going later this evening to adopt a minature yorkie for my 12 year old Daughter. she has already named her Roxie and we will be a 2 dog house then......

markgum

Exactly. It is fun to rescue the 'fur-kid' and take them to a better life. I am involved with Heart-Bandits for American Eskimo Dog Rescue.

animefan

Congratulations! All dogs (fur covered children) deserve a good home.

Top Bottom