Walking stick... sticks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Anyone know a supplier for Applewood, Ash, Blackthorn, Hazel, sticks? I've aways wanted to mess around with walking sticks, but the wood I like isn't really domestic. I've seen some made from Iron Bamboo, even some pine that looked good, but when I think of a walking stick, I think of the old Blackthorn, Gaelic feel wood.

Anyone know of a suppler for just the sticks? (affordable supplier that is)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

A Google search for 'blackthorn' or 'Irish blackthorn' will bring up one or two major suppliers. However, unfortunately, they will not meet your "affordable" requirement very well. I would like one but won't pay the price.
Same with diamond willow, the good sticks are very expensive. I know you didn't ask but I just tossed that in.
I could probably send you some ash blanks. But would have to charge for cutting, packing and shipping. It does make a good cane wood. Not particularly pretty or interesting to look at but strong and light weight. Let me know if interested.

Skye

I'll 'stick' that in my memory bank. Thanks for the offer!

I also checked and found a UK ebayer who has some darn nice sticks, but am not real sure how the price translates to dollars. I'm not really at that point where I'm ready to make them anyhow, just want to be ready for when I'm set to go.

Chasper

I've got some reject bow staves in ash and black locust, I might have a few in osage and mulberry if I dig deep and they aren't spalted, eastern red cedar wouldn't be hard to come by. I've also got a three piece matched set of African Blackwood with sap. I was intending to make some segmented walking canes, the first two I made kicked my butt so bad I decided to stick with pens.

Ligget

Skye when I was making walking sticks/canes I used this guy, he will ship stuff all over the world. He has a lot of very high quality shanks/sticks for people doing shows but I always bought working quality and although a lot cheaper never had a problem.

Martin is a personal friend of mine and is one of the UK`s best stick makers.

SHANKS/STICKS

skye,
my local woodcraft has diamond wilow sticks on hand most of the time. It is IMHO, the best to make walking stick from. The wood is light and easy to carve but the best part is the red that runs through it and the " diamonds" that look like branches fell off.
Check it out..they arent cheap at $18.00 for a 5 foot stick, but there is no other wood like it, really! Check it out.

Skye,
My local wood craft usually has diamond willow on hand. They arent cheap at about $18.00 for a 5 foot stick, but it is the best wood for making walking sticks, IMHO. It is a light weight and color wood with red running through it and the "Diamond" shape knots are truly uniique. Check it out!
Glenn

Skye

Thanks for the leads guys!

Oh, and the book I got a while back is called 'Stick Making'. Good book.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Skye

I do a bunch of carving, and the folks up in Tennessee with Smokey Mountain Woodcarver supplies are bunch of great people. Very relaxed and full of carving smarts! They have walking sticks during the year that they bring in, and you never know what they will have.

www.woodcarvers.com/PRODUCTS.htm

Give em a shout, I highly recommend them.

Top Bottom