VPN question for all you computer gurus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I installed NordVPN on my computer and IPhone. It is very easy to use and the speed is not affected at all. I visited numerous web sites with no problem at all. However, when I try to go one particuar web site that I regularly visit I am redirected to Google. This happens on my computer and the IPhone. It does not redirect when I visit the site on my wife's computer (I haven't put it on her computer yet) or if I disconnect from the VPN. So obvioulsy, the VPN has something to do with it.

My theory is that the site I want to visit can somehow detect that I'm being routed through another server (located in the United States) and redirects me. Would any of you know if that might be the case? Any other theories?

Thanks!

hokie

However, when I try to go one particuar web site that I regularly visit I am redirected to Google.

Sounds an awful lot like my experience with Exotic Blanks. See here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f211/redirected-google-156693/

Many websites simply don't permit obfuscation of their visitor's origins, so they simply block or redirect the traffic from known VPN IPs. Netflix is a major implementer of this policy to prevent people from bypassing their content licensing requirement by simply changing their VPN IP to a different country.
Nord VPN and a few others are quite popular, so their IPs are compiled into a black list of sorts. You just gotta remember to disconnect from the VPN when you're planning on browsing a site you know may be blocking or redirecting you. That or try changing your VPN provider to something more obscure.

penicillin

Hokie is correct. Websites detect that your IP address comes from a known VPN (or TOR) and block or redirect your connection.

Hackers often use those services to hide where they are coming from. Because of the high percentage of attacks, it is sometimes easier to block all connections.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Thanks for the responses. Since the site is Exotics the situation has to be the same.

Top Bottom