Visit with Sharon-Arizona Center for the Blind

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
In preparation to assist in the future with some of the penturning clubs at Centers for the Blind and Visually Impaired, I ventured to be a fly on the wall watching Sharon, get oriented with this manner of instruction, review safety protocol and get some hands-on turning practice blindfolded with a mentor assisting.

Background: I have worked with Folks with Visual challenges many years ago as a Therapist at the Cleveland Society for the Blind, so I did have a headstart.

This is also an update to the thriving woodturning/penturning sessions that Sharon has spearheaded in Phoenix, Arizona. Penturning is alive and well in this town!

Note: Yes, the last picture is of me. And yes, safety protocol/goggles/faceshield was omitted to allow you to see that I was being oriented as a blindfolded turner. This was simply for these pictures. Also, these pictures were after I had instruction with an assistant guiding the position of my hands and gouge. At that time he could not take pictures because, well, his hands were assisting mine!

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
More!

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0809.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 157

sbwertz

It was a real pleasure having Mark here today. Here is a bit about the people in the pictures.

The two people turning today were Trevor, who is completely blind and was turning his first pen, and Deana, who is a trainer in training, going to be one of our assistant trainers.

Lori is my "good right hand." She is great with the beginning turners. She is so patient and calm with them. They come in saying "I don't know if I can do this" and go out asking "when can I do this again." She and Trevor made a beautiful African Sumac slimline for his first pen, and we put his son's name on it with the laser.

Tony is a more experienced trainee, and he and another trainee will be opening another training day in September. Right now we only have trainers enough to turn two days a week.

Deana was making a letter opener today. We went over cutting, drilling, tubing and milling the blank before she turned it. It was an olive blank that had a good sized crack that she filled with crushed turquoise. Normally when a turner comes in to turn, the blanks are all prepared and ready to turn, but with the trainees, they have to prep their blanks before they turn. Deana has problems with bright lights, and was having trouble with her dark glasses fogging up under the goggles. So she was turning with dark safety glasses.

Mark is always a joy to have visit and I hope he will come again. I'll put him to work!

Last edited:

jttheclockman

First I would like to thank Sharon for all she is doing in this field. I always look forward to reading her posts especially when one of her students does something amazing beyond what to me is amazing stuff already. To actually get the joy of turning pens has to be a thrill as much as it is seeing this. Having some actually photos now even puts a bigger smile on my face as well I am sure many others here. Job well done and continued success.

Noot17

That is great! I've honestly wondered if turning was something the visually impaired could do since a lot of it is by feel - seems like it could work out, and apparently it does! Very cool to see this going on. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

robutacion

I'm pleased to see things are progressing nicely, I'm sure Mark being blindfolded while turning was something you never thought of doing some years back, huh...?:biggrin: it certainly gives a different perspective and appreciation to all those that are visually impaired or totally blind...!

Thanks for the pics.

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day George, years ago the training at the Cleveland Society for the blind we we had to spend a full day blindfolded, guided by the visually impaired clients/staff. It included navigating across roads, hiking in the woods/fields, and eating several meals - soup, spaghetti... needless to say we needed bibs.

After the first few minutes of having your hands guided, it became much easier. Muscle memory kicked in, and I believe I paid more attention to the tool rest location (proper height, closer to the blank). I was just turning a square spindle round, so just a practice piece. Using the roughing gouge was interesting as I was able to feel when the edge started to cut much more noticably instead of relying on my vision.

Yes, a new experience.

The highlight was when Trevor finished his pen for his son. He couldn't stop grinning that he had made a gift for his son. Pretty emotional.

robutacion

G'Day George, years ago the training at the Cleveland Society for the blind we we had to spend a full day blindfolded, guided by the visually impaired clients/staff. It included navigating across roads, hiking in the woods/fields, and eating several meals - soup, spaghetti... needless to say we needed bibs.

After the first few minutes of having your hands guided, it became much easier. Muscle memory kicked in, and I believe I paid more attention to the tool rest location (proper height, closer to the blank). I was just turning a square spindle round, so just a practice piece. Using the roughing gouge was interesting as I was able to feel when the edge started to cut much more noticably instead of relying on my vision.

Yes, a new experience.

The highlight was when Trevor finished his pen for his son. He couldn't stop grinning that he had made a gift for his son. Pretty emotional.

G'day Mark,

Sometimes most of us need some sort of "reality check" to appreciate what we've got even if not "perfect" and you know, that is not a bad thing, we get easily surrounded/bogged/distracted in habits that are far from relevant or necessary while many others lack the relevant necessities...!

I have said this before and I will repeat it, I would gladly give some of my time to be a trainer in this sort of program, unfortunately, I'm on the other side of the world and there are no such programs close to my side of the pond...!:frown:

Cheers
George

sbwertz

Mark, now you know why I say I take away much more than I give down there. It's the Trevors, and the Terrances, and the Deanas and the Franks that keep me going back week after week. You didn't get a chance to meet Fern. She is our 86 year old who has turned more than a hundred projects in the past 4 years. They are the real treasures. Then there is Dani who is blind and deaf. You should have seen the big grin on his face when he turned his first pen.

So far, six of my visually impaired turners have bought (or been given) their own lathes at home. Some of them are no longer at the center, having completed their training there, but often drop in to show me what they are making.

Mark, I'm sorry you picked the two hottest days we've had this year to come visit, :biggrin: Next time try
February.

George, I'd take you as a partner any day. But it would be rather a long commute.

Last edited:

Howdy Jan

Sharon:
How did you get involved with this?

I admire your dedication to helping the visually impaired. There is no doubt that you thoroughly enjoy your time spent there.

Thanks

sbwertz

In 2014 AAW had their annual symposium in Phoenix, and I attended. They had a shop set up with about a dozen little Jet lathes for kids to learn to turn on. One morning, a blind turner named Andi Sullivan came to one of the demos I was watching, and asked for volunteers to help a blind turner make a pen during the lunch break. I volunteered. After the session, she approached me and asked if I would be willing to help the local blind center start a turning project. A lathe and basic tools had already been donated, but they needed someone to teach their crafts instructor how to turn so he could teach the blind students.

Three or four months should do it, she said. So I said sure. I'm retired, so my time was pretty flexible. I started going down twice a week to teach Tom how to turn. He had turned a bit when in high school shop, so he learned pretty quickly. It actually took almost six months to get the whole project off the ground. We needed a LOT of equipment besides a lathe and chisels. I had just inherited my dad's 1946 Delta bandsaw, so I donated my other bandsaw to the center. Then my husband bought me a new drill press for Valentine's day. (There is a man who REALLY knows how to please his wife!) So I donated my old drill press and my 10 inch chop saw because I had been wanting to get a 12". We were beginning to look like a real wood shop!

An IAP member sent me $500 to buy whatever we needed, and I got a slow speed grinder and wolverine set for it, plus a belt sander and some other tools. Other IAP members sent us kits and blanks and tools. Several members gave us their bash prizes. The project was really beginning to take shape. We had more people than we could handle lined up waiting to turn.

Then disaster struck. Tom was diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer. I roped my friend Lori in as another trainer, and we managed to keep the project going. Slowly we have built a cadre of trainers. We were donated a second lathe, and now we keep two lathes busy two mornings a week, with a third day starting in September.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As I get settled back home, I'll work in the next few weeks to contact/collate what each agency could use as to supplies. Tampa, Phoenix, Atlanta, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Portland, ??

There is no problem with supplying blanks, and even pre-tubed blanks. Many of us have an abundance of blanks and if sent tubes, most will drill, glue-in and mill for the visually impaired turners.

I need to get some estimates for key ring kits and single -tube kits, bought in bulk 100+ quantity, then dispersed between the agencies. We may be able to go up to 500+ in quantity; there are enough agencies that 100 kits are well within reach for their needs for 3-6 months.

This is easy peasy organizing.

... If we can assist others, we should assist others. Some day we will be in their shoes!

Top Bottom