Visconti’s Casa Batlló pen is available for $5,750...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hmm. Just wondering how hard it is to reach the audience for an item like this. My guess is, you won't find them at your average craft show.

Visconti Limited Edition Casa Batllo Fountain Pen

No, and with good reason... $$$!

And I mean no disrespect, but the pen doesn't really appeal to me. I have always been able to look at an expensive article that I could afford, and ask: do I really want to spend my money on this? Maybe yes, maybe no. This would be a No.

My carry pen: "Very expensive" closed - end Sumac Blank (.50). :)

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpg
    IMG_3344.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 128

bmachin

I suspect it's really not that difficult at all. If you go to a large pen show, and know what to look for you can see a lot of money changing hands on stuff that you wouldn't give $10 for. Collectors know what they want, and have feelers out all over with dealers and brokers all the time.

A few are probably moved at the larger pen shows like DC, LA, and Ohio. I suspect that more go to well-heeled collectors who are subscribed to various mailing lists, whether snail mail or email. I know I get notices from several dealers about special edition Pelikans; although nothing in this price range.

There are also several pen specific magazines out there. Th two major ones in this country are Pen World, and Pennant. The latter is published by Pen Collectors of America and requires you to join. Both are quite good and quite different. But If you are interested in collecting or in pens in general, bot are worth subscribing to.

The point of the digression into magazines was that that is where a lot of these high end pens, whether limited edition or not, are introduced.

Hope this was worth your time.

Bill

Ripper70

Really fascinating. I subscribe to a regular "Luxury Living" type email that featured that pen this week. Never saw such a thing featured before. As a woodworker who has yet to turn his first pen, I thought it was unusual and slightly eccentric that such a high priced luxury item was actually more common than I imagined. Here's another Visconti pen selling for over $1,100.

Seeing how Visconti has been dead for over 40 years and was mostly known in cinema and theater as a director, it seems kind of far fetched that one might pay more than five grand for a fountain pen with his name on it. But I guess I've learned something here today.

I'd love to know what the innards are in a pen with such a high price tag. Where does one acquire them? Is it possible, for instance, to buy a Mont Blanc pen kit and turn custom blanks for them? Are fountain pen nibs really that specialized that some might command the highest prices from only the most discerning users? Apparently so, but boy, I've got so much to learn.

jttheclockman

Get a name and you too can command big$$$$ that is all it takes. Turn your first pen and you are well on your way. There is a couple people that started here that are in this class now and command $5,000 to $10,000 per pen. Developed their brand. Yes you have a ton to learn.

Top Bottom